Sub 5 hours

Comments

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Jane - if your shoes are the same as your last pair you should be able to put them on and just run!

I'm looking for new ones too, but the asics I usually buy that are in the sale at 1/3 off aren't in stock. I might try mail order for a change.

• I suppose I could debbo, just thought I would be do what I normally do with new shoes.

Ran 10 miles in 1.45.35, along the prom and it was getting busy for the last two miles with folks walking and taking advantage of the nice sunny weather, but it was cold.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I did 5 miles this morning - sleety and windy and cold, but probably not as cold as Aberdeen! My nephew had a good hour of fun on christmas day making snowballs with the icy snow from the top of his Aberdeen uncle's car!

I'm waiting eagerly for my Garmin to arrive - I hope it comes this week.
  • Morning all - and a belated merry christmas. Have been working away from home in Mull since late October. Have been keeping up with the forum but haven't been able to post.

Have a GB place with MERLIN for FLM (and given the last few days in South Asia, boy am I motivated to run for them). Would dearly love to do a sub 5 but realistically I'll be chuffed to do under 5.30. Did 4.45 in 1992 and 6 in 2004 (not helped by dodgy knee and chest infection - well that's my excuse anyway).

Haven't been doing much in the way of training of late. Had a nasty ankle sprain in the summer and started running again in the autumn, taking it easy. It's been nice to go hillwalking on a Sunday if the weather is good rather than a run, safe in the knowledge that the serious training and long runs on Sundays would start at Christmas. But then got home on holiday for two weeks on the 23rd and developed a fearsome sore throat and general lurgy. Have struggled to walk the dog, let alone contemplate running. Very frustrating not only to be ill at home on holiday having been away for two months, but also not to be able to get out for a run as I'd promised myself that the serious training would start on Christmas Eve. Feeling better today after a rough night last night so perhaps the training can start on Hogmanay....

I'm raising a rather largish glass of Cork Dry Gin and Tonic to you all (which I'm sure is helping my recovery) - here's to our training in 2005!
  • Hi all,

I ran a really pathetic 2 miles this morning with a friend, but my chest is not as recovered as I had thought - oh wel, I hope tomorrow is better.

Good Luck Dr Sam, it's so frustrating when your training plans are mucked up, but I'm sure you will do better with the rest. Still, you're obviously used to this hard slog, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I've only got one pair of running shoes and
    I was wondering about getting a second pair, just so I have a spare in case I need it, so should I go with the same make or try something else? What does everyone think?

Jane, I think you are so far ahead of me I shall never be able to do the distance, but never mind, I shall keep trying!

Have a good day all

• Take it easy with the chest infection, Chris - better to be cautious now than push things and then be off for a long period.

I'm also thinking about getting a second pair of shoes - will be interested to hear from others.
  • Hi folks, I have four pairs of shoes to run in, two pairs of road shoes, one pair of trail shoes and a pair a very light x-country type shoes lovely to race in but not much cushioning so only run about 30-40 mins in them.

Chris please do not compare your training to anyone else's, everyone can only do their best and do what they can and I have been running for a few years now.

Doctor Sam, Mull, lovely part of the world.

• I never thought that I could love an inanimate object until I got my asics. Gone was the knee pain and numb feet. Have read that getting a second pair of the same trainers and then alternating between the two is a good way of managing your footwear.

Debbo - I got my Garmin forerunner 101 for Christmas. It's fantastic and I'm pleased to say its getting alot of use. Especially as the weather is so good at the moment - blue skies but bitterly cold in Cardiff.

4 miles this morning. Managed to lose 3lb over Christmas so feeling rather chuffed with myself.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Dr Sam - hope your training starts soon - don't worry - still plenty of time!

Chris - make sure you've recovered before you start training too hard or you'll end up ill again.

TenTon - well done on the weight loss over christmas - I'm impressed! Alternating shoes is a good plan - I do that, but have probably done too many miles in both my pairs now, so looking at buying 2 new pairs. :((
  • Hope everyone had a good christmas. Now serious running begins dont know about eveyone else, but the snow and ice is a bit scary when running. Bit worried about getting injury now that I am running in flm so not done alot over the christmas period. Starting again tommorrow with a 5 miler and planning to work with the runners world programme fingers crossed.
  • hello peeps

Been on the treddy last 2 days, but 12.5 miles clocked up
    bloody ice
  • The sore throat I developed before Xmas (with the spot on the end of my nose) has now gone further and I have a lovely hacking dry cough. I was up half the night so as a result I stayed in bed until 2.20 today and didn't run. Thought it best to pamper myself in the hope that the cough cleared up quickly! I rang my mum and told her I wasn't feeling too good and didn't think I could go over to see her this evening and got the guilt trip laid on me. So, I went to see her although I really wanted to go to bed. Just got home and going to bed now.

Chris/ Dr Sam - hope you both feel better soon.

Debbo - waiting for my Garmin too!
  • Debbo - did you get an email from me?
  • Watch that ice. I fell on my arse on Boxing Day coming down a hill. Good thing I'm well padded ;-)
    Debbs - get plenty of sleep, drink lots, wrap up and try to sweat it out.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Debbs- hope you feel better soon. No email from you....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    debbo - target mileage this week is 100, so was not too happy to start the week with a rest day (due to the ice). I wanted to save my rest day for nearer the end of the week when I'm knackered (which I will be). So far, so good, 19 miles yesterday, 10 miles this morning and will go out again tonight
  • debbs, hope you are feeling better soon.

Shades, looks like milder weather on its way so hopefully no more ice for a while, good luck with the 100 miles.

Did 5.5 miles this morning off-road so a fair bit slower pace that yesterday, but it felt hard.

So far I have a higher mileage for this year that in 2003 even though I was injured for July and some of August, can't turn back the clock but what if?

• 12ish miles Boxing Day- really enjoyed the sunshine and weaving round all the walkers on the Kennet & Avon canal path...

...but have got a nasty "chafe" (skin rub not Burbury wearer!) from my water pack (New Balance, rucksack thing) What do you guys do for taking water on long runs?

Think we're doing really well, congrats especially to TenTon for the weight loss over xmas!
  • Hi all, Feel better today but very tierd, so I think I'll give it a miss and hopefully be alright for tomorrow.

I'd be interested to hear how you guys carry water as well.

Good luck everyone who is running today and have a nice rest to those who are not - Debbs, hope you feel better soon. Ten ton, lossing weight over Christmas? I'm so impressed!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I did 19 miles yesterday on an out and back route. Wore a bottle belt and carried 500ml sports drink, also took a 500ml bottle of water which I drank half at 2 miles then hid it in the hedge. The sports drink was enough for me for the 15 miles before I picked up the water on the way home.
    I don't take a drink with me for runs of 10 miles or less.
    On longer runs I take some money and stop in at a shop/petrol station en route as well as the bottle belt and water in the hedge option.
  • unless my run is over 2 hours and is on a warm day I drink before heading off and somehow manage without water whilst running which is terrible I know.

I must try the bottle in the hedge idea as I often do out and back routes along an old railway line.

For runs over two hours I take some sweets and water which I carry in one hand and maybe put a small bottle in a bumbag with the sweets and a few tissues (just in case:))), of course the ideal option is to have a handy supporter who meets you at two mile intervals and hands you a bottle of water.
  • I tried one of those small plastic containers designed for carrying in your hand on one (rare) hot day in the summer. I think they're called runaids. It was ok although my preference is not to carry stuff but to hide a water bottle on the route. Like the others, I only tend to take water if it is a long run or a very hot day - like I say the latter are a bit rare in this part of the world.

TenTon - bloody well done! I feel like I might explode like Harry Potter's Aunt Marge if I don't get some exercise soon. Walking the dog just isn't good enough. Had another rough night last night - feel very depressed at the prospect that I might not manage a run before it's time to go away again next week.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I don't take a drink for less than 2 hours - just stock up before I go! Otherwise I carry a bottle of water and take money in my wee pocket so I can buy a bottle of water or lucozade sport. I do the bottle in the hedge trick too!! I hate wearing anything round my waist, so can't do the bumbag/bottle holder thing.

Hope your 100 mile week goes well shades.
  • I just visited the official FLM website and see that there is 109 days to go.

That's quite a long time isn't it? Almost a third of a year ......... It is a long time isn't it?
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Dr Sam - don't worry - 109 days is ages yet! I'm not doing FLM - I'm doing Lochaber and that is 116 days away so even less worry!!
  • debbo - will try emailing you again!

Not running for the time being as still coughing like an old man (pretty picture!?) I went to the doc today. I think I caught this either from my customers or from my sister. Either way, its not very nice. The doc has given me antibiotics. As an ex-smoker, I find that everything goes to my chest and I end up with bronchitis. One of the perks I suppose and my job probably doesn't help. If London gets the olympics, the property prices round here should sky-rocket so we will be selling up. That'll give my lungs a chance!!!!

Everyone else seems to running well! I think I must be some kind of wimp - I have to take drink with me every time I run out. I have managed 5 miles without a drink before but I was a bit on the thirsty side when I finished so prefer to take it with me.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Debbs - hope you're feeling better soon.
    We'll keep our fingers crossed for the olympics. I don't think it's wimpy taking drinks with you - probably just sensible!
  • Thanks for your reassurance Debbo. Is Lochaber a good one? I really should do it as it's on my doorstep (well almost - just the Sound of Mull in between). I've always been scared of coming last though. Perhaps I should put it in the diary for 2006.

Debbs - get well soon. It's so annoying being ill, particularly when you want to be out for a run.
  • Am having one of those eat everything in sight evenings but as my house is an organic-only, brown rice and veg zone (i.e. bland and boring diet food) I have only been able to binge on greek yoghurt, clementines, porridge and ryvita. Boy are my bowels going to have a shock!
    I bought a new water bottle and belt off ebay for a fiver. I find belts quite comfortable plus I like to have somewhere to put my mobile and mp3 player.
    Laura
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well, now on Day 4 of my 100 mile week, just thought I'd update you with progress so far..

Day 1 Rest!
    Day 2 19 miles
    Day 3 10 miles morning, 6 miles evening
    Day 4 8 miles morning

I haven't done this sort of weekly mileage before but have made the following observations.

Advantages
    I'm sleeping really well and eating for England. My skin is feeling really good, all that exercise in mild drizzly weather.
    No aches and pains, have a little gentle burning in my quads noticeable at end of run.

Disadvantages
    Had a very bad run last night which I realised was due to the fact that I'm not rehydrating enough after my runs. Have now upped my post run fluid intake and feel OK again.
    I'm tired but not exhausted, more fresh air tired, think I should have another hour's sleep a night.
    When I'm working I don't get much time to do anything except run/eat/sleep.
    Bit more washing, will have 4 sets of clothes today as I have to go out after tonight's run.
    The biggest disadvantage is that as I'm not a fast runner and am doing all runs at BT pace I am spending a huge amount of time running.