Sub 5 hours

Comments

• Shades - 100 miles a week!!! Sorry if I missed the earlier conversation but what time are you training for? Sounds like you should be in the sub 3 hour thread, not sub 5.

Good luck - I'm very impressed.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Baggie - My marathon PB is 4.48, so I'm on the right thread here. I'm training for ultras, I'm doing my first 24 hour race in July but have a 30 miler in Jan and a 35 miler in Feb plus a few other races too.
    However, I would like to do a marathon PB this year if possible. Sub 4.45 would be very nice.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Shades - sounds like your week is going well so far!

I'll be aiming for sub 4.45 at Lochaber I think.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be chasing you then debbo. Unlikely I'll do a PB in the Spring, I usually run better in the autumn once I've got a few races under my belt.
  • Soaked to the skin on my morning run of 5.6 miles.

Shades I know what you mean about washing, and going out twice a day also means a few more showers and hair washing is required. At least living on your own you don't come home to no hot water when my son has used it all up.

• Shades - very impressive. I take it that this kind of weekly mileage increases your stamina for the ultra's, but do you do this kind of high mileage training every week or do you alternate with light weeks or a different sort of training? (Just interested really.)

It's interesting to see that you say you are a slow runner but can still do this kind of mileage because I am a slow runner I find this quite encouraging.

Debbs - hope you are better soon.

I was hoping to get out for a run today but have a splitting headache at the moment, so I shall see later.
  • Sorry to show my ignorance, but what does BT stand for?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jane - I live in a small purpose built flat, fortunately when they were built they installed huge combi boilers so loads of hot water.

Chris - I've never done this sort of high mileage before. Most years I do a couple of week's at 70ish mpw, on average I do roughly 50mpw. This is generally all training from Dec to March. For the rest of the year I race most weekends, so avoiding long training runs.

BT is base training, there's a huge thread under Training if you're interested. BT is building a solid base of aerobic work, we do it using HRMs.

I will never be a fast runner, my strength is in my endurance which is what I'm trying to improve. I'm planning to do my first 24 hour race next summer.
  • What do you people tend to aim for in your weekly mileage? This week I'm on for 21. Am pretty slow too. Currently averaging a 12 minute mile but hoping that losing another 2 stone by Apr will allow me to speed up to an 11 min mile. Do you think that the weightloss could make that much of a difference to my pace?
    Laura
  • Shades - what mileage are you planning to do on the 1st? There's nothing like starting the new year with a good run or a good walk in the hills.

TenTon - I have seen some calculation on the forums about the ratio of weight loss to speed. I suspect that weightloss and the right training programme could well see you down to 11 minute miles by April.

I see this thread has just passed its 1000th posting.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Jane - maybe I'm being optimistic about doing 4.45 at Lochaber - I'd like to do it at least by Loch Ness anyway!

I did 4 miles this morning - BT pace and managed 11 minute miles - first time since late october, so I'm pleased with that.

It was warm in Edinburgh this morning, but no rain, so at least I was dry!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dr S - I will probably do 20 on Saturday (have to go to my Mum's for lunch), then 24 on Sunday. I love running early on New Year's morning, the whole world is asleep except for the birds and other wildlife and there's no traffic around.
  • Doctor Sam - where did you see the weightloss /speed ratio? I'm keen to know my potential once I've got rid of this stubborn stone.
  • Hi all

Just briefly scanned through the thread. Some excellent running going on!!!
    Well I didn't run at all last week, I was way too busy!! This week is a write off too as I have come down with the Jumpets lurgy. I am supposed to race on Saturday but I won't be up to that :-( I keep reminding my self that you don't lose too much aerobic fitness over 2 weeks.
  • ooh poor you. I only started going out this week after what was a pretty minor cold as colds go and it was hard! I really felt it but I did enjoy it and felt so much better. hope you feel better soon.
  • debbo, 4.45 is a good target to aim for and I don't think you are being optimistic aiming for it.

bad luck JJ hope you recover quickly.

Shades best of luck with the 24 mile run planned this weekend.

I am planning on doing this 2 mile road race organised by my club, would rather go for a relaxed 10 miler instead but feel as though I need to try to run faster once in a while even though I will probably be last one to finish.

• Glad that Chris asked what BT is - I didn't know either!

I was planning to run on New Year's Day too but def looks as though out of the question. I have had the luxury of spending the whole day in bed trying to kick this lurgy. Still coughing like mad but hopefully tomorrow I will start to feel better - I have to work, what with it being NY eve!

JJ - hope you feel better soon too.

Now I am going to read up on Base Training!!!!

If I don't get on line tomorrow, hope you all have a very good New Year - and here's to some successful, injury and lurgy free training in the coming months!!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Shades - enjoy your 20 miles on New Year's Day. I'll do a short run and then 10 or 12 on the sunday.

JJ and Debbs - hope you are both better soon!

Read up about BT - it's great!

Jane - I know what you mean about trying to run fast now and again - it's a struggle isn't it!
  • 5 miles this afternoon.
    Am getting a headache about 40 minutes into my run. Does anyone else get this? I'm positive that I'm hydrated enough wondering whether I'm getting tense or something.
    Laura
  • Speed to weight ratio:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/utn/5797/last/1/V/1/SP/

Bit of uncertainty regarding speed increase ratio to weight loss. A 10% loss in weight should increase pace between 3-10%.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    TenTon - I sometimes get headaches when I run and I'm sure it is dehydration - make sure you drink plenty before you run!

I'm away to check out the weight loss/speed link - thanks!
  • Feeling a bit better today, mainly because I have been lazing around all morning. I have a race tomorrow but I'm going to marshal instead of run. I might attempt a plod on Sunday. I've decided to do 5 four milers next week and leave the long runs til the week after.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    JJ - glad you're feeling a bit better. Probably a wise move to marshall instead of run tomorrow.

I'll do a short run tomorrow and a long run on sunday (creature of habit!).
  • Hi all

Mind if I join you?

I haven't been on the site for a while, I was hoping to do the marathon in less than 4 hrs but realistically I think it will take me longer than 4hrs.

Haven't been trainign much recently. I was supposed to run the Bedford half a few weeks ago but was diagnosed with Mumps(!!) about a week before, so didn't have the energy to run 1 mile let alone 13.1

I'm hoping to get back into my training this weekend, though I think it's going to seem like a real chore again.

What sort of distances are you all running at the moment?

K
  • er, longest run has been 10 miles since my last mara on Nov 7th

EEEEEEEK
    Its only 3 weeks till that 30 mile one
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!
  • Hiya everyone
    Just been scanning the threads - you all seem to be doing well, I seem to have missed more runs than run them (?) - its the kids being home from school that is the problem (well I gotta blame someone),not me being lazy oh no. My longest run has been about 10miles but it seemed to take me ages. I really need to take a drink with me but find carrying one a real bore.

Well the vegie 'hot pot' type dish I was making for my midnight snack tonight has just been burning whilst I have been on here - typical. I am going to a house party and all the food they are making has meat in it so I was going to take my own - now what do I take - marmite sandwiches? Bugger!

oh well, have a good New Years Eve everyone
    I'm going scraping black stuff off the bottom of a pan!
    see ya, tiny
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    My longest run since my marathon at the beginning of october has been 10 miles too.

At least I'm not doing an ultra in 3 weeks though - only a half!!!!

TT - just leave the burnt bits in the pan and take the rest. :)
  • TT

My last long was 10 miles the Sunday before Christmas. Not run a step since. I'm sure we'll all be back on track in the new year :-)
  • Oh welcome Kittencat :-)

I'm planning to do at least 20 miles a week in the new year rising to 40 at the peak.

Please post your training or lack there of :-)
  • Debbo I have rescued what I can but it tastes burnt. I have tested it on next doors kid - he said it tastes burnt, my little boy wouldn't touch it. ha ha :) I'll probably be asleep by 12 anyway!