cross training & ITBS

I'm taking a short (I hope) break from running whilst I try to get rid of the ITBS thats been a problem since my first marathon last month.

I know swimming is the best alternative cross training - but I hate it.

Any thoughts on rowing? I've got access to a Concept rower, but will it aggravate the ITB? The physio said it should be OK, but i'm not sure.

On the one hand I don't want to lose the hard earned fitness, but equally I can't wait to get the knee better so I can go out and run again.

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Why not give cycling a try you won’t have pressure on the area and also you can join in a spinning class for the wetter weather. A big plus is that you will keep your fitness but make sure to keep on doing your stretches.

• Cycling certainly is part of the plan. I find it difficult to get to classes, or the gym, so tend to go out to run/cycle when I get some spare time.

Tried a gentle 2k on the rower last night - knee seemed OK so maybe I was worrying needlessly.
  • Sore Toes,

Congrats on finishing your first marathon.

I rowed like no tomorrow when I had ITBS and didn't seem to agrivate the problem, it certanly kept my fitness up - 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week should do the trick.

I'm sure your aware that rest alone dosen't cure ITBS you need to see a physio to check you out and make sure you have the correct foot wear aswell

Good luck

P
  • I've had ITBS problems since the start of Sept. It just came on suddenly in the middle of a run, and has been there ever since.
    I'd just joined a Tri club so have been swimming and cycling which doesn't seem to aggravate the problem... but it's not getting any better either despite all the stretching and strengthening exercises.

Someone did actually try to suggest that I try resting completely to see if that would help. I'm afraid I probably didn't seem very polite and gave them rather a blank look, but really, they did deserve it.