10k & half marathons

1298299300301302304»

Comments

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hi jax!
    I have the forest of dean half in mind for the end of March, and the Atlantic college 10k the week before. Both are a bit lumpy I think, but lovely locations, so I am looking forward to them.

There is also the small matter of an Olympic tri and a half ironman, but they aren't til May and July.

Managed to sort myself out for a cycle to work this week. I hate the organising of it, and I don't like the dark, but I do love fitting exercise in as part ofy journey to work! Hoping that training for the half will include some runs to or from the office when its a bit lighter
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Oh, and sorry to hear about your foot problem. It wouldn't be something as simple as laces too tight would it? I would suggest flexing your foot back and forth maybe? O4 a bit of massage on it? The pain you describe sounds familiar, so I think I have had something like it. I can't remember much about it though so hopefully it will sort itself out soon.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hi Jen! Glad to see you are enjoying the cross-training. I an having a week of (enforced) cross-training this week as I sprained my ankle on Sunday at the end of my long run. Fingers crossed I can get back into my marathon schedule by the end of the week. Going on an Alter G anti-gravity trainer on Saturday which should be interesting! I may use it for interval / speed sessions for a while to avoid injuring myself again until my ankle is stronger.

Jax - sorry to hear of the niggles. Have you seen a physio?
  • Jen - olympic tri and half ironman image!

My foot is feeling a lot better now - it's definitely not the ankle, which I'm pleased about, just something weird going on at the top of my foot where it flexes. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't, very odd. My shin splints have now healed so that's a bonus - it seems to be one niggle after another at the moment! Hoping to be able to do my long run of 10 miles on Sunday though and have managed to do all my other planned runs this week.

MsE - Hope that your sprained ankle is now ok - which marathon are you doing? I have seen a physio a few times for my various niggles. He checked my gait and trainers and gave me a good stretching routine, all of which has really helped a lot. Takes up quite a lot of my time though!

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Whoop! 14 miles run this week, 19 miles on the bike (so far), 3k swimming (particualarly pleased with this!) and circuits too. Long run was 7.5 miles this morning - had hoped the route was closer to 8, so I need to find something that will help me build my distance up....

Glad foot is feeling better jax. Like I said, I think I have had something very simlar, but don't recall how it came or went.

MsE - hope your ankle is better. How is your swimming?

Got to rush for a bus - ice skating this afternoon - I fear for my own ankles!

Happy weekends all...

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Ice skating didn't happen, so my ankles are intact! Hurrah!

I've spotted Swimathon in April... I might try and go for a 5k distance. It's in April. Around the same time I'll be doing a 20k race too. Nice target to have though, to have all my discipline distances up to scratch by April, and would then just have to focus on brick sessions.... I feel like I'm in the A-Team and loving a plan coming together....!

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I know it's not running (again), but I cycled to work yesterday, then cycled to the gym, went to circuits, and cycled home. Legs feeling suitably drained today, so going for a long (but relaxing) swim later to see how far I can go in an hour. It was supposed to be a run home, but the logistics are against me.

Rest of the week looks like this...

Fri: Morning run, prob only 4 miles
    Sat: 25mile bike ride, some light gym and a bit of a swim
    Sun: 8-9 mile run - trying to keep it as slow as possible.

I've realised that my training runs have picked up a bit of pace, and I think it's because of racing. I need to be able to slow it down for longer runs though, but since my running is so infrequent and not as long as I would like (rarely over 6 miles), running a bit faster is that bit easier.

Ooo - something that has been bugging me.... what is it called when you have run so far that you are slowing down, but your heart rate is speeding up? It happened a few weeks ago and I couldn't remember, and it has annoyed me ever since!

• Exhaustion

The Wall

Crap

Old Age

Failing memory

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hiya

Jen - The answer is Cardiac Drift. You probably reached a point where you couldnt continue at the same pace Did you notice at what point (in miles/time) this happened. Possibly next time slow it down a little see if this help of course tiredness may have effected it were you hydrated enough. Weather conditions play a part. Have you recently run this far as well Sorry so many questions

Sorry i have been a stranger had a touch of cba, the weather, work, but have decided now to forget about London and concentrate on the Goal Sub 45. Once i made the decision it felt right. Of course it means choosing the right 10km Southend still fits the bill but thats months away

anyway its too late need to go to bed Talk more later

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Cardiac drift - that's it! I think it was at 7 miles or so. I remember where I was in town when I realised it was happening, but can't remember what run I was on!

Ooo, sub-45.... I think I set out a three year plan for that some time ago, didn't I? I'm not sure that I am on track with that to be honest....! For now my goals are fairly short term. 25 min 5k (whcih may be achieved 5th Feb), then I'm hoping for sub-51 10k on March 20th (which obviously means sub-50, but I've not got enough time to devote to running, so I'll be happy with sub-51 in the circumstances. I also might do a half marathon the following weekend as a driver to get my mileage up.

Then I'm building up to swimathon 5k in April (likely to take 2.5 hours rather than 25 minutes!!!!).

Triathlon in May (where the running is 10k)

And another in July (where the running is a half mara).

I might do another 10k in August then, which is a bit of a hilly one, but is the course that I got my current PB on. And perhaps from there I'll work out my next goals.

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hello!!!

Had a horrid headcold the weekend beforelast so had a forced week off last week. Was back in the pool last night to ease back into it, and then on the treadmill this morning (too cold to inhale air outside at the moment - I think that's partly why I got ill!). Happy - but not up to the longer distances I should be doing. Hoping for a 6 miler on Thursday and maybe a longer one again at the weekend.

Anyone else out there?

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hi Jen. Glad to see you are keeping busy! 20 weeks to my HIM and counting but I am focusing on the marathon first. I then have 9 weeks to prepare (with a standard tri 5 weeks after VLM). It probably isn't enough cycling or swimming but I can't get my head round fitting everything in at the moment. The thought of cycling as well as all the running I am doing is too much to contemplate! As it is, when I have a rest day I have been doing circuit training or pilates to focus on core work and body conditioning and that has been tiring me out and affecting my running. My distances are getting longer, I am happily running 12 miles midweek and did my first 20 miles on Sunday, but the trick is to keep the momentum going and not injure myself. I have already had a sprained ankle sustained during a 16 mile run which has weakened my ankle. Your targets are looking good - are you feeling confident of achieving them?
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hey there MsE!

I am in awe of the distances you have to run for a marathon, but I'm glad I am not doing them! I'd like to be doing your mid-weeks though! My running is still struggling - it just seems to be that the weekends I end up doing something that isn't running. I need to fix it. That is the only thing I am worried about.

On the swimming, I've entered the 5k swimathon which is 10-11 weeks away and I can't even imagine swimming for an hour comfortably, let alone swimming for 2hour+. I've got time though, and a few people to advise me, so hopefully that will be ok. But in terms of the distances for Tri - I'm happy. I just need to practise outside.

Cycling - not as consistent as I would like and have had a major blip with a rear tube breakage. I realised that I can't change tubes, and if anything goes wrong in a race, I am a DNF. It's not something I'd really thought about trying to accommodate and I'm afraid it's something that I am not willing to accommodate because I hate the faff of it. But as long as there are no punctures involved, and I don't get hung up on being fast, then I think the bike will be ok. Hmm.... I probably need to take the bike section a bit more seriously....

So.... who knows really, at the moment. I'm keeping up my circuits, hoping to get to Tri club, and got a couple of run races to keep enthusiasm for running going. But I'm still applying for jobs and really want to get that sorted out so I can give the training the attention it deserves (ok - it gets quite a lot, since right now I am supposed to be applying for a job....!). In 2 months time I could be looking like a real April Fool without a job or owt. Still - all the more time for training! image
  • Hello

Jen - Bliey a 5km swim i can't imagine that  thats further than the swim part in an Ironman. Abnd best  of luck with the job search

Me running is moving on, well i'm consistant not mega mileage but 15 miles for the last 2 weeks. Not mega mileage but its consistant

I'm definitely focussed on 10km now and enjoying training more doing things differently  ran 5.6 miles on Sunday furthest since October, 6 miles planned for this weekend

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Thanks Pammie! I'm struggling to get my head around it to be honest, and wondering why I'm doing it!!! I've never really felt this before, but like you say, the 5k swim distance is just ridiculous! Still, good training if I get stuck on an island at some point. And I guess I will have plenty of confidence in being able to keep going in an open water swim.

One of my worried on that side of things in relation to Tri's is that there may be movement of the water which means I end up actually swimming further than I need to, so at least I will know that if I really have to, I can cover twice the distance required....!!!

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

So... HIM is this Sunday. Blimey, that came around fast.

In other news... I'm going to increase my run training after this weekend and target a 20mile race in December.

Then I might consider 26.2.... after a 112 and a 2.4...... YIKES!

I blame you MsE!!!!

Hope everyone is well on here. I've been swimming in rivers and clipping into bikes (and falling off) and running not as much as I would like, but generally having a nice time. It takes a lot of time, and I've been keeping up strength training too, but because of the variation, you can just keep going! It's amazing!

Currently carbo loading though. Pass me the pasta.....

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hi Jen

This Sunday wow best of luck. Big WOW your training has changed now you are talking of 20 mile races and Ironmans. Leaving the shorter stuff behind

I'm getting back running again after Fracturing my elbow Back running 5 weeks following a Jack Daniels plan - errmm thats the man rather than the drink

Didn't get to run the 10km in June my last race was a mile in Feb next one is a 5k in August touch wood

Go Jen Go

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Jen - wondering how it went for you? Would love to hear. My triathlon plans came to a grinding halt when my mum was diagnosed with cancer. We then had a turbulent few months but she seems to be clear of it for now. I promise to make up for it next year...

And I must also say thank you for sponsoring me in April! It was soooo nice to have all that extra moral support image