Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    ....forgotten to delete those last two words....!
  • Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I did wonder if I had drunk too much - but I had drunk as much as I normally would during the day.

Last week I was drinking less so have made a concious effort this week to drink enough.
  • Options
    Could be a reaction to the coffee, could be gastro-enteritis. Try cutting out the cappucinos.

Did my version of easy tonight :o) 2x10mins programmes on the treadmill. Still charged up some 8% inclines. Doddle.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    In the gym last night there were a couple of little posers who clearly think running is easy. On there at 11.1 kph and started pressing incline and didn't stop. It got to 15% and the kid says "thats as far as it goes". A few seconds later..."It's like running up a f-ing mountin".... a few seconds later incline going down down down.... total time on was 3 minutes-ish and mostly doing 10kph on 0.0 incline.

Not so tough now I thought!

Definately saying ciao for now to the cappuchino! blub!
  • Options
    They are so funny, aren't they Jen. I like the ones who motor along with their arms flapping for about 5 mins and then jump onto the side of the tready, 1 foot on each side of the belt which continues to whizz along beneath them, then they jump back on after their rest and go flying off the back of the thing! Great!

There was a thread in injury a short while back about cramp and such - if reducing the dairy doesn't sort it, might be worth a post over there as there are some dieticians around. Seemed to be linked to lacking potassium, calcium, magnesium in the diet (if I remember right - might be worth checking).
  • Options
    Did my long run this a.m. 5.5 miles another longest for me. Feeling particularly pleased with myself today as I lost 3 training days this week due to a cold. You know one of those sore throat Tuesdayday sneezing over every body Wednesday blocked up nose thursday gone by Friday.

I think Ive got my training routine sorted out now thanks in particular to Jen* and Sodahead.

:Run early 5:30 ish
    :Nothing to eat or drink before hand
    :Drink plenty of water day before
    :Snack before bed

Seams to be working for me.

• Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Hey well done Steaders!!

I'm going out soon, if I can tear myself away from the forum that is ;0)
  • Options
    Glad the long runs are working better now steaders.

I set out at 6:30 this morning. By jings it was cold up here but once I got over the shock and got going the body soon warmed up. 2 hours 10 minutes for me this morning. I've never seen so many squirrals scuttle up trees. You can tell winter is approaching cos there are pine needles on top of the leaves in the woods now.

This is just a great time of year to run :0)
  • Options
    Sodahead your right this is a great time of year. I am lucky enough to have a country park on my doorstep 3 laps round the lake today, squirrels, ducks, geese, swans, herons to look at while i'm running.

But it was cold here to. I'm of to town to by apair of Ron Hills tracksters it to cold for shorts now.
  • Options
    A bit more advise please, I have been running since August since when have lost 2 stone and could'nt then run a 100 yards. My objective is to be able to run 7 miles by Xmas. Is it to soon to think about a race in the new year and if so what distance would you recomend for a first timer

Incidentally 5 1/2 miles tok me 65 mins this morning
  • Options
    Steaders

I reckon you'll do 7 miles before christmas :o)
    Don't worry about speed that will happen naturally as you get fitter.
    A race in the new year would be goodd, distance depends on you and whats available locally to you.
    My 1st ever race (wayyy back) was a 3 mile race (ha ha that was so funny) on my comeback it was 5k, but reckon as you can so 5½ miles anything up to 10k would be good, but you don't have to take my opinion.

Incidently this is the best time to run at least its not too muggy or hot. Unless you live somewhere hotter!!!!
  • Options
    Steaders

Congratulations on the weight loss. That is a fantastic acheivement.

Look for a 10K or a 7/8 mile event. I would shy away from a 5K cos they are fast and furious events. If you are running 5.5 miles now you could easily complete a 10K now :) just being in a race will get you through the extra 0.6 miles.

Your only objective should be to finish the race. In the 10K races I have run there are plenty of runners finishing arount 65 to 75 minutes.

And once you have completed one you will want to do another, and another, and another.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hey steaders - You have achieved so much in such a short time! Brilliant stuff!!!

I don't know if I have followed the rule myself, but if you are working up to 7 miles then you might want to bear in mind that it is quite an increase from 5.5. I would recommend just increasing the time you are out running rather than worry about distance perhaps...? If you increase the time you are out by 5 minutes each week on your long run then you will easily reach 7 miles by the end of the year I reckon, even if that means just running round the block at the end of a run or something.

Had a 13 mile long run myself this morning and yes - very chilly indeed!!!! First time I have seen my breath on leaving the house....

But I was too thinking what a lovely time of year it is to run this morning and here is everyone saying the same thing! I admired a beautiful holly tree on my rounds today, a heron was just landing in the lake as I ran past, the sky was a lovely mix of pinks and blues, it was wonderfully clear and I could see all across Caerphilly. Positivley gorgeous.

2:10 for me too!
  • Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Hi all

Hope you're all well :0)

Steaders - what about a 10k? I did that as my first a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it.

I managed 13.2 miles this morning -longest ever - and am still grinning from ear to ear. Did it in 1 hr 57 mins which I'm well chuffed with. Sorry to boast but had to share it with you guys as none of my family/friends are runners.

I love running up here - I live on the coast so beautiful view and loads of wildlife too. I love herons Jen, saw one today in the harbour looking for his brekkie.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    BLoomin 'eck Sam - I would be grinning from ear to ear with a training run like that too!!!!

Got a miserable day ahead as we are having builders in this week for a new kitchen but with a million and one things to do I haven't a clue what the best order is for everything....arg!!!!
  • Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Ta Jen!

Oooh sounds like a stressy day!! Still, hopefully it will be worth it when you have a lovely new kitchen!! Hope it goes well!!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Been painting most of the afternoon - I HATE PAINTING! But a good thing about having the builders in is the time off from work and (even though I will have work things I can do) the freedom of running whenever I want to!!!! Some of my best runs are at lunch times so here is to a good week!
  • Options
    Hey, It seems like it's a good thread to ask basic questions. I have restarted running recently, and since I didn't bother 10 years ago with races and training schedules, I m a bit lost now with specific terms ( which is quite unfortunate to follow a schedule). Can someone explain me what tempo training is? I am currently on a 1/2 training schedule, and the big day will be beginning of february.
    thaaaaannnnk
  • Options
    A rest day today so no running, just jobs around the house. The good thing about a long run on Saturday followed by a rest day on Sunday is I can have plenty of red on Saturday night, and very nice it was to.

This week I plan 3 mile training days on Mon, Wed, Thursday with a long run on Saturday 6.3 miles thats 2 long loops and 1 short loop round the lake.

Thanks for the advice on a first race. I think I'm going to go for a 10K as fast running is not for me. So I'm of to the events page to see whats in Yorkshire area for Jan 05.

Littleone I hope ypu get the advise that you need. I'm only a beginner so can't help with advise. Good luck with your running though
  • Options
    LittleOne - hello

A tempo run is a comfortably hard run. What does that mean. Well, technically it is a run at 85 to 90% of your max heart rate. If you don't know your max HR then aim for 20 to 30 seconds slower than 10K race pace and run at this pace for 2 to 4 miles or 15 to 30 minutes.

It should be a hard effort at a pace just slower than your fastest pace that you can maintain for a distance or time stated above.

Reading the above it still sounds a bit fuzzy but if you have timed any runs or races recently you may be able to make some sense out of it.
  • Options
    Boing for Mike W.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I am really starting to notice the effect of being tired!

I didn't sleep well last night but was still pretty raring to go this morning and just about managed 9.5k in an hour. The thing is it felt like it was quite fast! When I am tired my legs don't get up as high and my stride probably suffers (something I am trying to work on but last week didn't have chance to do a session for it and so in my head I feel like I am going backwards with that aspect of my training!).

However, I noticed in the NY marathon that Paula's stride looks much shorter than her competitors and her leg turn over is far more rapid. I do 'fast feet' exercises to try and improve that side of things and then 'high knees' and 'butt kick' for the legthening aspects. Not sure if these will work (I now I don't do enough of them at the moment) - I assume to some extent it depends how you are built.

Ran to the gym, did 5.7k on the machine (15 mins of which was at 12kph which I was very chuffed with - yay speed training that I presume is what helped me keep that up!) and ran back so clocked up about 10k in all. Also did some rowing and abs work.

Here is a question - how much abs work is enough? And what to people do on their abs? I have a relatively boring routine that involved lots of exercises I have kicked from my circuits class that I do as a circuits styles sessoin. In circuits classes we would do maybe 12 minutes worth of work on abs specifically (but with other exercises that also work them I guess)...... but I want abs of steel! Does anyone out there have a set they would like to lend me??!?
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Sorry - trademark Jen waffle with a host of typo's too!
    The gym was yesterday evening for anyone who is interested! Have notched up 19-20k this week so far - hoping for 35-40 miles by end of Sunday. I have the Leicester half on Sunday which I am doing as a training run - if I do it faster than 2:10 I think I might have to kick myself (or pinch myself as I don't think I will be capable of even that this week!).

Sorry, more waffle!
  • Options
    Jen, we love your waffle! Don't apologise, it's a great read!
  • Options
    Jen - good distance running technique emphasises short, light strides with a fast turnover (cadence). Concentrate on landing with your feet under your centre of gravity (roughly under your hips). If you land further forward, the laws of physics say that you get an equal and opposite force working against you - basically your foot acts as a brake and slows you down. After landing, get your foot off the ground as quickly as possible.

Runners who stride out more tend to be those with a track background - it's more of a sprinter's style. As you say, Paula uses short strides and a fast cadence and it doesn't seem to have done her any harm :o)
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I was going to use the word cadence but wasn't sure in what sense to use it (Paula has good cadence? Fast cadence? turnover cadence?) .....!

I was trying to lean forward a bit more in my running as it felt a bit easier... perhaps this is why? But I lost concentration so not sure what I ended up doing!
  • Options
    Leaning forward is good, as long as you lean with your whole body (ie not just from the hips). It forces you to land under your centre of gravity. It does also give you a strange feeling of running behind yourself, like your legs are trying to catch up with the rest of you, but you soon get used to that.

Which part of your foot do you land on? This is all easier if you land on the forefoot or midfoot - slightly harder for heel strikers, but still worth trying.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Ooo. Tends to be my heel. Never been sure if that was right or not, that is just the way it seems to happen.
  • Options
    Without getting into what has tended to be a very long debate, there's a lot of opinion now that says heel striking only feels natural because of shoes with loads of heel cushioning - if you tried to run barefoot on your heels, you would cripple yourself. I converted to forefoot striking over the summer and have found it much more comfortable (he says, while unable to run because of a foot injury ;o) ).

However, converting takes time and effort and can involve reduced training and some pain in the calves - if you ever did want to try it, don't do it without a lot of thought or without reading the POSE thread on General.

Personally, I think that most of the mechanics of good technique are the same for heel or forefoot strikers - short strides, fast cadence, land under centre of gravity with knees slightly bent. I just found that as I did these things, it became much more natural to run on my forefoot.