10k & half marathons

Comments

• Jen, if you run on the treadmill that will automatically shorten your stride. Your foot is in contact with the road longer than on the treadmill. I find it easier to go faster on the road as a result, but doesn't mean I've got the fitness to support it, if you know what I mean!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I have found that actually.... going from running on the road and then onto the treadmill, I feel like the belt is holding me up - very odd! But I see why now!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I have been thinking about videoing my running style.... or is that really egocentric?!?
  • Why don't you gawp at yourself in the mirror and everyone in the gym will think you love yourself :o)
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    <<blush>>
    <<hides in the corner>>

*whispers* it might help thats all*

<<blushes and scuttles off>>
  • Arrhhh...

Seriously Jen, don't worry about it if you're not getting any injuries. I used to spectate at races in the days before I started running myself, when hubby was running, and there were some really dodgy looking running styles coming in sub 40 for 10k. I used to wonder how on earth they managed it. Not that I'm saying you have a dodgy running style :o) but I don't think it's that important. Just do what feels right for you.

• Speaking as someone who went sub-40 with a dodgy running style, I'm not sure about the 'do what feels right' bit. My old running style felt right while I was doing it - now that I've taught myself a new one, that feels right. Do anything enough times and it will start to feel natural (with the possible exception of Morris dancing...)

Technique tends to be a neglected part of distance running, maybe because of the assumption that it comes naturally. There are, as you say, plenty of sub-40 10k runners who have strange running styles, but try watching an elite race and spotting a sub-30 runner who heelstrikes.

Injuries aside, poor technique wastes energy and slows you down - better technique = faster times.
  • Gotta look at yourself in the mirror then ;o)
  • Hello everyone! I'm interested in the different running styles but am sticking to what I know at the moment.

Unfortunately I had a chesty cold for most of last week so after going to Yoga on Monday night I've managed a 5k last night and a 5k this morning, my preparation for the Nike 10k is up the shoot but I was so glad to be able to breathe for 5k that I'm not too bothered!
    Hope everyone else's training is going well!
  • Hi all.

Have done my 3 training runs this week and felt good after each one. Found my times were improving so eased back a bit today in case I'm running to fast for my level of fitness. Long run on Saturday 6.25M planned

Still planning a first race (10K) in January

I notice many of you use HRMs and I am considering buying one myself (Santa may be generous). My question is do any of you use a model with PC download facilities? if so how useful is it? Is it worth the extra 70 odd quid. I work in I.T. so am quite competant with spreadsheets and databases but just wondered what value you found (if any) in analysing training data to that degree.

Also interested in the discussion on running style. I was interested in the diferent styles of Paula and the Japanes girl (cant remember her name)in the Athens marathon. The japanese girl had a very economical style quick short steps and seemed to be leaning into her run. Paula in comparrison seemed to have a more upright style almost leaning back. Any know where I can find more info on this?

As always, appreciate your help

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I too am hoping for a HRM from Santa.... or even Father Birthday (3 weeks away!). I have a GPS watch which measures distance while on the run which is great - apart from when it loses signal but it has helped me a lot in terms of judging distance now. It helps be to see how well I have done. I have to judge how hard I have worked myself - I hope this is where the HRM will help me - (yes I am too lazy to think about it myself!).
    I am particularly interested in them because I run on hilly roads and want to see how well I balance out effort. Even going slowly I feel i am pushing way harder on hills than on flats.
  • I noticed too in the Olympics that a few of the Chinese/Japanese runners had a very straight arm action - in particular the women's 10,000m winner. I've tried relaxing and loosening my arms occasionally, especially going downhill, might look a bit odd but it really helps!
  • I've got to admit that arm action is not something I've experimented with much - I really should do at some point. Some coaches (eg Gordon Pirie) favour a sort of quick "jabbing" motion, other god for minimal arm movement. The main point of agreement is that your arms shouldn't be moving from side to side, but only forwards and backwards.

Re HRM, it depends how much data you want. Mine is a fairly basic Polar F2: it can do training zones and has an alarm, but not much else. If you run regular routes and time yourself, you can see changes in your pace at the same HR.

I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a technophobe: trying to make a spreadsheet work would send my heart rate higher than running does ;o)
  • god = go - I wasn't suggesting divine approval of this running style!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    The ladies marathon winner in Athens looked like she was slapping a donkey with one arm when she ran. I have since noticed I have a similar (hopefully less noticable - I'll get that mirror out!) action which seems to happen just with relaxed arms.

Sometimes if I am feeling like I am slacking I really move my arms and I heard a commentator once say that the arms drive the legs and it does have that effect I think. Move your arms more and your legs seem to react to it. But it does use more energy and I couldn't keep it up all though a 6 mile run for example.
  • You might be slapping the donkey harder if you ran as fast as she did :o)
  • Jen* the polar S625i will give you a graph of not only your HR but speed and altitude as well. Its pricy at £260 plus £30 for the IR interface to download to your PC but if your Santa is the generous type it may be the one for you.

I was in Caerphilly last week on business and like Yorkshire is a bit hilly, so an altitude to HR read out could be useful
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I have the garmin so I do get altitude and speed and pace and virtual partners and route maps so the HRM would just complete the set and balance the weight on my arms!!! I got the Garmin for £130inc P+P so a £100 HRM would make my set a bit cheaper than the polar thingy but perhaps a future model will me this time next years pressie.....!

What more can they give you for your wrist I wonder? Shoe lace monitor?! Camara to monitor scenery on lovely races?! Than can then be sent back to your friends and family to their mobiles while they wait to cheer you on.... It is going to happen one day, you know it!!!

Did a treadmill PB today! 5k in 23:55!!!! I had lots of frustration to vent so tackled it with speed. Hurrah!!!!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    *200*!
    On a thread I started!
    YAY!
  • Congrats on your bi-centenary Jen. Just waitng for it to get light before I go for this weeks long run. Objective 6.25 miles (thats 10K isn't it). Looks very cold out there though.

• Morning, I'm just waiting for the sun to come up cos its freezing outside.

Gotta fix my HRM first :(

Have a good run Steaders
  • Really enjoyed my run this morning, 6.6 miles 74:08mins. thats another of this years goals ticked off i.e. to run a 10K distance.
    My final goal for 2004 is to run a 7 mile route that I used to cycle back in August when I was trying to lose weight and get fit. I'm going to continue at this level of running until another weekend of good weather, so I can savour the moment.

Hope you had a good run Sodahead
  • I've decided that my first race will be the Dewsbury 10K. Having read the first thread posting from Barnsley Runner who say's its flat and fast, fast I don't need but flat will good. Suprising though as Dewsbury is in the heart of the Pennines, still I'll take his word for it. I have submitted my application online so unless its rejected I'm now committed and focused on February 6th. Time to start planning my training schedule.
  • Well done Steaders. Its good to set these objectives and keep knocking them off.

As far as I can remember 1 mile = 1.6095kms. 6.6 miles is well past 10K so you are going rather well :)

My run was a pootle around the block for 6 miles and included 4 fastish strides of 75 seconds duration. Pretty easy going as I am running a 7 mile race tomorrow. Unfortunately a heavy duty circuit training session and a series of blasts on a rowing maching on Thursday has taken a toll on my legs and right now I don't feel in any shape to race tomorrow. We will just have to wait and see. And I have eaten too much pasta tonight :(
  • I have received confirmation of my application for the Dewsbury 10K so its no more thinking about it, its actually going to happen.

I've think Iv'e decided to use the RW 8week 5 day 10K schedule. Working back from Feb 6th means that my training would start on 13th December, so I would have a few weeks to consolidate and do the final objective for this year.

I Would be interested in your opinions on whether I should continue to build the miles or stick with 3x3miles plus a long run of 6 to 7 miles each week. I am considering increasing the 3x 3miles to 3x4 as this seems to be the starting level of the above schedule. Or should I be doin more do think?

Hope you had a good run sodahead
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Steaders, that is fantastic! I reckon you will get a really good time come Feb. The training 10k runs I was doing before my first 10k were coming in at 75mins and I ended up racing sub 53 mins!

I would recommend building up to 7 mile run and perhaps make one of the three miles a four mile route rather than all of them and see how you go. You might find that you are naturally able to fit in an extra mile or so anyway as you get fitter.

Also - just wanted to share my long run/training run/half marathon I did in Leics today. Despite having huge problems in not knowing where the heck the place was, 'training run' went out the window and I got all caught up in the excitement..... 1:57:38 on a not very flat route. Great race, loads of great marshalls.... thoroughly recommend it!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    There was another thread about 10k pacing that made me think about the splits for my half yesterday. I did the first half in 60:24 and the second half in 56:13.

The 6 miles 8-13 were done in 51:41. Based on this I reckon I might get a sub-50 10k in a few weeks time...... I am secretly very excited indeed!!!!!!!

I asked my boyfriend if he thought I might win a race one day. He said no! Does anyone else have race winning aspirations - who else has won and how long did it take to get that good and which races do the less able do so I stand a chance of winning something at some point.....!!!!

I would like to think that in 5 years I might be sub 40 10k material if I keep this up. I guess I will have to join a club to get championship places in races. I know it is a long way off, but wouldn't it be great?!?!

• Jen,
    racing aspiration is the best reward you get from running. Realistic or not, that pushes you further, and puts your "how much do I value myself" higher. It's the right way to improve and persevere. Who does not have any aspiration?
    I think you have ascomplished your mission beautifully! congratulation!! onwards and upwards always
  • Jen*, a wonderful idea, it'd take a lot of hard work to acheive, as a lady I'd imagine that once you got sub 45 you'd be in the top 10 at most local races and at sub 40 you'd win a lot of local races, it would take hard work though. If you've done 51:41 for the last 6 miles that means you could well do sub 50 for a 10k shortly. Concentrate on distance, then focus with fartlek or speedwork.

I've won age categorys in races a few times u12s, then a few u16s in local races. I started training aged 8, trying to change myself from the podgy geek, into a slightly thinner geek. I've only taken it semi-seriously in the last two years though, and in that time I've taken my 10k pb down about 6-7 minutes from 42/3 ish to 36:20, though judging on current form I'll be quicker than that next race. I normally come in the top 10 or place in local races in the mens section, and if theres a 16 and under section or junior mens section (17 next week) I normally win it in the local 10ks. Just scraped into the county team two summers back but ran twice for them this summer. It is possible so go for it. sub 40 in 5 years is a realisable dream, joining a club would likely help you enromously so do try it.
  • Jen there is no doubt you can do it. Your dedication and drive is clearly apparent from your postings on this thread. So go for it and ignore any doubts your boyfeind may have put in your mind.

Well done on Sunday, I aspire to times like those but for me one step at a time, first I have to run and finish my first race.

Good luck with your future goals, stay fit and injury free.