Options

Stuck Spikes

I always do the whole put them in with vaseline and screw them back a quarter turn, etc..., but I have three spikes that are stuck fast. I've tried several methods, but can't get them out - has anyone got any great ideas?

Comments

• Options
    WD40 sprayed around the spike to soak in....repeat after 1 hour...repeat again....get molegrips (like pliers but lock shut)...close molegrips round the flat part of the spike (hope yours are like mine..) ..should be able to move.

In absence of molegrips try pliers....but unless you have strong hands, you may struggle.

Option 2. Get really cross with stuck spikes. Slam shoe (spike downward) onto ground. Think ooops, that wasn't very grown up of me. Patiently have yet another go and find that miraculously one spike is now loose. Next the tricky/sod's law bit.....no amount of repeat slamming will get the other's loose!!

Good luck
  • Options
    Yeah, we've tried spike spanners, lubricants, mole grips, a vice, washing them... we're thinking of freezing them next... Mole grips have worked for us in hte past, but not this time. I'm so annoyed - I haven't done anything silly with them, I haven't got them wet, I haven't run on concrete - I've just run round a grass track in them for 3 monthes.
  • Options
    Freezing sounds logical....as long as the screw-hole is not metal as well (they'd contract at the same pace???)
  • Options
    It's kinda a last resort. Otherwise, it's been suggested we drill a hole through the spike horizontally, and use one of those metal stick things that you get in screwdriver sets to wrench it (in theory...).
  • Options
    last idea sounds good and if that doesn't work, cut the spike off altogether and drill down the middle of it (carefully!)
    It should just fall apart. This is a pretty
    risky way of doing it though as you acn easily ruin your shoes also..
  • Options
    Dave,

I've had to drill out two sets of SPD cleats.... It never, 'just falls apart', but seems to take an inordinate amount of time and then you drill through the shoe and break it. Oh... and 3 drill bits. :-)

I've had luck with using a saw to remake flat plates on the side of nuts to grip on before ... Trouble is, spikes are too small for this really.

New shoes? in this year's colours??? Why do you need the excuse :-)
  • Options
    My Dad managed to snap the spike off before he even got into the drilling bit! I'll still wear those ones for on the forest training though - my old spikes never go to waste! I think I need to be more liberal with the vaseline in future though...
  • Options
    If you are being pedantic use copperlube grease. But I thought that the idea was that you didn't want them coming out?
  • Options
    Not when I'm running, but I'd like them to come out afterwards, rather than rusting in!
  • Options
    I have used a bench mounted vice on occasions to remove stubborn spikes - if molegrips fail.
  • Options
    I think the quality of the contact between spanner and spike is important as it is such a small contact area. I was successful in getting some stuck ones out with a good spanner (from a good workshop). Big tools will not necessarily allow you to apply more torque before slipping - often the reverse is true.

If a good spanner fails - get new shoes I guess. Current ones could be cut down as far as necessary to produce a track-only shoe. Or if current spikes are short, you could try just putting a few long one in and see how they feel - good enough for training and most races I expect.