Sub 3:15

Comments

• Well done y'all however you fared.
  • Hi Popsider, yes thats me in the white, gold and green vest :-)

Am concentrating on getting back to my superfit state from now (need to lose 3/4 kilos) and will be back to my sub 40 10k's soon
  • Pipes, thanks for that link to the Tower Birdge photo. That's rather a nice one!

hilly, yes, the one of us with our medals at the finish did also come up on my photos. I'm definitely going to order it. We all look so happy! In 2003 my equivalent photo has me on the verge of tears (after a 4:16 finish, I should add!)

I am impressed my hilly's 10K club run. I jogged the mile to my club (second claim) to thank them for their support along the way and jogged home again. Tonight I am going to jog two miles to my club (first claim) to thank them for their support and jog home again.

My next plan is this:
    - enter Berlin
    - do a lot of 5K and 10K races over the summer to really try and get my times down
    - hopefully along the way break the 20 min 5K barrier and 40 min 10K barrier
    - bring my half marathon time down
    - train at the pace I would be training for if I were training for a 3 hour marathon
    - run Berlin with reckless abandon, do or die, hoping to get under 3 or else a little closer or else just blow up and know I at least tried.
  • And, dynamokev, congrats and good luck!
  • Thanks Ratcatcher - can't wait. After all the nerves I had the night before the marathon god knows what I'll be like before my wedding day. I think I better have a good long run in the morning to calm myself down!
  • RC,

I have no doubt you'll break the 40 min 10k barrier (I'll pace you if you want) over the summer.

Looking forward to seeing you at a race soon !

• Hi all

Well done indeed to all of you who beat 3:15 - particularly Hilly and RC. Fantastic and just reward for everyone's hard work.

Of course those - like me! who didn't manage it had also worked hard and we will all be raring to go for the next one I'm sure.

I finished in 3:15:56, having been on for 3:10 at 20 miles. You will infer that I hit the wall rather hard at that point. Not sure what happened, but I'd had a sore throat for a couple of days and generally felt a bit low. It was quite hot wasn't it? But I didn't feel that was a factor at the time, though my poor bald head is still sore today!

Well done again everyone.

I'm thinking of Edinburgh or Blackpool now, but will leave it a couple of weeks before deciding.

Sim
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone.

I hope you have a great day, dynamokev.

RC, Pipes, and Hilly, as Becky says, I really don't think there are going to be many non-champ start women in that time bracket. At 12 miles my colleagues said that there were so few women amongst all the guys that it was pretty easy to do a head count. Btw, I told them the approx time that I would be appearing, so it wasn't as if they were going to stand there counting for hours!

Humph, that would be great and I'm pretty impressed that you've worked out who the b/f is! I'm really keen on racing at Hatfield Broadoak. I was spectating last year and was bowled over by the general atmosphere and just how beautiful the village is. I really wanted to be out there running it, although I recall it was a pretty warm day and a number of athletes were suffering in the heat. I'll have a word with the Mr regarding Felstead too.

My main aim through the summer is to build up to around 60 per week, which is about 45% more than my peak mileage this year. As my work contract finishes at the end of June, I'm considering taking a month off to train. I'm also keen to get my 10k time down to around 40 minutes or below, run a sub 20 minute 5k and, possibly, a sub 1:30 half. With regard to the latter, the warm summer months may mean that won't happen, but there's always a chance owing to the unpredictability of the Great British weather!

Having never trained for an Autumn marathon previously, I guess the longer-than-half-marathon distance races are going to be sparse. RC, being local, do you have any in mind at all?

I'm now off to have a look at some of your photos - hopefully there's jno ust-before-collapse ones of me lurking out there.....

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Sim - so near and yet so far. How strict are FLM on the sub bit of sub-3:15. Does anyone know if they will accept 3:15:56 as a MV40 GFA? Given the fact that it is difficult to get a good pace at the start with all the crowding. Might be worth finding out.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Sim, congrats! Sorry to hear that you also started the race not feeling 100%.
  • Sim (and Podro) - there has been some debate about this on other threads. A lot of people seem to think that they ignore the seconds so a 3:15:xx does still count as a 3:15 qualifier. There were women on the championship start with qualifying times of 3:16 (as you'll know, Sim!) because they just asked and the organisers made an exception.

Paul - I may take you up on that pacing offer!

SB - I don't know of any yet but would be keen to do some. Maybe we should liaise over race plans. I know the club is putting together a training schedule for Berlin so they may have some races in mind.
  • Friend of mine failed to get GFA on 3:00:43, but I've heard of others getting in... Probably depends how you ask, and how many applicants they've had already.
  • RC,

I more than happy for you to take up my offer :-)

Am confident I can do a 39min 10k in my present state (based on the fact that I did a 39 min 10k in my half marathon - not the best idea :-) )

Anyway, looking forward to speedwork !
  • I managed 3:14:44 in Berlin last September and I'm hoping that will still be vaild when I apply for London 2006, that is if I don't manage another one this year, which I fully intend to (try and) do! Does anyone know how long times remain valid for?

SusieBee - sorry to hear what happened to you. Sounds like you had a full-scale cold - I just had a bit of a raspy sore throat really, though I had almost lost my voice by the end!
  • Sim, I thought GFA qual. period was 2 years? so hopefully your Berlin 04 time would still count for FLM 06.

SusieBee, my deduction was based on the times you posted and a bit of inside info :-) My coach is Howard Jardine, good friends with a number of Chasers I believe. Hatfield last year was very hot, around 30c and is an undulating yet fast route, I managed my current PB there despite the heat as the overall field is usually pretty strong you can get dragged around by the real speedsters. You have to enter in advance though.
  • I don't know how strict they are for the men, by I am rather ashamed to say that I have twice bent the ear of the FLM office. In the early 90s, about two years after I had messed up both years that i had qualified for the Champ. start, and phoned with a genuine medical explanation as to why I'd been running much worse than earlier years, they let me go from the Champ start again.

In 2001 (?) after a number of years of no marathons, they gave me a GFA place on the basis of a recent half marathon time.

Also in the past they used to say that if one club has two members of the champ start, another could join them with a view to the team prizes, though I haven't seen this anywhere recently.

So it is well worth phoning them, at an apprpriate time ie let them finish sorting out this years results, and proably don't leave it too near to the closing date.

It is probably extremely over-optimistic of me to think it might be relevant, but I'd hope that they would be OK about changing a GFA place to a Champ place for a post-early Oct time, even if the regulations suggest otherwise.
  • I suspect they are more lenient with women than men, just because there are fewer of us. That might explain your friend's experience, Nutkey.

The woman from our club that was on the championship start with a 3:16 was already in on a GFA but upgraded to the championship about two weeks before just by phoning and asking.

TmR - what half marathon time do you need to do to get in on that? I know they don't publish the times but say they'd be prepared to discuss it if you apply. I heard through the grapevine that a sub-90 would do it but that does seem a little too lenient if the men's is sub-75.

The period is two years but after I'd done my qualifier last October I phoned to confirm they'd honour it for FLM 2006 (I was going to do Boston this year) and they were quite, quite adamant they wouldn't guarantee anything because they could change the rules at any stage. I'm sure they just say that to protect themselves in case they suddenly get a flood of qualifiers and have to tighten up but in reality they are extremely unlikely to.
  • My half marathon time was for a GFA start, rather than champ, and I think I'd just done 1:38, for a 3:45 GFA (if you see what I mean), so that would have suggested quite a lot of leeway.

And they did change the Women's champ time from 3:10 to 3:15 (and men's from 2:40 > 2:45)sometime in the mid nineties, but I've no idea how much notice they gave people. I guess you are right, RC, that they adjust the criteria to suit their convenience/demand. I guess they neither want too few women at the start, nor too many who confuse the system by being massively overtaken by men. (Confession following above - one of the years I really messed up from the Champ start I finished in 3:50, and it was awful being swallowed by loads and loads of men).
  • Your clubmate who changed starts certainly suggests there would be no problem changing if one legitimately got the Champ standard between the GFA closing date and the Champ closing date. I think there have been quite a lot of queries here about late October marathons which would fall into this category.
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    RC - I got onto the champ start this year on a sub-90 min half time (I hadn't done Abingdon at that stage). They don't advertise it and I don't know if everyone who requests gets in on their half time. For men it is sub-75 minutes. The difference does seem a bit too big to be fair on the men, but hey - I wasn't arguing!
  • Nice to know about the half marathon times. That does at least open the door a little if for some reason you have a lousy marathon. It's easier to find another half to qualify on than it is to find another marathon!

When I phoned they said they set the rules in June for the next year. So theoretically they could change the rules this June and set completely new marks for next year's race. I'm hoping that if they ever do do that they at least postpone implementing them for a year.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    You and Hilly must be able to smash 1.30 for a half can't you RC ?
  • And I seem to remember reading that when Veronique Marot was making her comeback as a vet, they wanted to put her on the champ start, and she had to persuade them to let her go with the mass start. And I saw her this year on the green start, though I know she would have had a champ time from 2 years ago.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Sim. You shouldn't have a problem getting a place with your Berlin time if you're a male 40.

Good picture Paul:o)

I'm quite pleased with my pics this year. Normally I look a wreck, but the sun must have made a difference! I see you in a couple RC, but not Pipes. My number was 215 if you want a peak:o)

Good luck with the wedding Dynamokev!

popsider, RC has a 1:25 half time this year and I've got a 1:29, which I'm hoping to take a lot off after the summer.

As for 10k I'm going for sub 40 in 2 weeks time. It might be a bit soon, but I'm going to give it a try. A male club mate has offered to pace me for a sub 19 5k next month too, so will hopefully give that a shot too. Looks like a busy couple of months.

RC, you'll have no problem with breaking 40 for 10k and 20 for 5k!

Was going to do a cycle tonight, but for some reason I'm feeling very tired today, so decided not to do anything. Will have a take away and an early night instead!

I didn't intend to do 10k RC, it was being with the club that did it! So no more gentle jogs until Friday for me.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Go for that sub-40, Hilly! Brilliant photos, btw You look very strong in all of the action ones. I'm sure it'll be difficult to make a choice there...I think I'd buy them all!

Humph, cheers for that. It's a small world!

Further to the info given on here regarding Blackpool, I noticed that someone from the sub-3 thread mentioned she'd dropped out of London in '03, decided to run the former and had a terrible time in the heat coupled with the windy conditions, so I'm pretty glad that I only considered it fleetingly.

RC, will definitely catch up re planned races. I guess there is always the North Downs 30k to start with. I'm sure you'll be in form to finish in the top 3 there.

• Sim 3:15:56 is an absoluteley fantastic time in anybody's book. Before you go and beat yourself up about it think of this. 3:15 was the time limit for GFA applications for males over 40. 3:15 was the championship limit for females.
    This year, as last year, the FLM organisers invited good for age applications from those who had a qualifying time "EQUAL OR BETTER THAN 3:15 in the 2 year period prior to the event". This meant that they accepted people with times of 3:15:59 or better, because that equalled 3:15. I note that you are male, but don't know if you are 40 yet. Good luck. BTW, the way in which you plead is probably important.

Popsider, Hilly. I don't think that 2:45 is yet in my league, but having lifted 8 minutes I'm feeling that anything is possible. But at my progress rate you would have to look out for a flying 50 year old!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Damn good effort Sim, well done.

One of me here in the latter stages , my feet aren't touching the ground, quite proud of that one!

I have a series of 10k races starting next month, 6 in all, one per fortnight. This will be interspersed by a few other races from 5k to half-m. This should sharpen me up nicely for an autumn marathon, almost certainly Berlin. I am of the same mind as Ratty, if the training goes well aim for 3hrs or bust! Want a pacemaker RC? {o:

Feeling a bit sorry for my training partner Jo at present. It seems the FLM have 'lost' the times of all women from the 9:45 start who ran better than 3:18. She finished in 3:14.46 on her watch so she is just a touch concerned!

I paced someone to a 39:52 10k last year who's previous best was 40:25. I reckon the best policy is to go through 5k in a fraction under 20 mins and leave something for the later stages
  • FLM photos - my number is 2292. Took my gloves off for the medal picture!
  • wardi - see the discussion on the 3:15 thread about these times. Its not that they are lost, just that they have to check that the new qualifiers are actually who they siad they were and not guys running with women's numbers.
  • ..oh, we are on the 3:15 thread, then see the page before last!