Options

Sub 3:15

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hilly, Ratty, Blisters & anyone else who has done an autumn marathon in the last year or two..

I am planning Berlin in Sept, trouble is it is 5 years since I did an autumn mara and I can't remember what it was like training through the summer. For example, if it came to your Sunday long run and the temperature was very warm how did you cope? Is it something that you gradually became acclimatised to?

I am looking forward to training in the daylight for a change though.
  • Options
    Wardi, I'm also doing Berlin and must admit I'm really looking forward to training in daylight after this miserably long winter doing all my runs after 19:00 in the evening.

I did an autumn marathon last year and a summer one the year before.

I always, throughout the year, do my long runs at about 08:00 on Sundays. I have to because I run through central London and the streets are impassable if I leave it too late. But, having said that, I have ocassionally done a 20 miler mid-afternoon in the summer because I've had to fit it in around other commitments and that has been fine as long as I drink often. Perhaps I'm not a good one to ask as I don't really seem to suffer much in the heat. I run slower in races if it's too hot but it doesn't seem to affect my training.
  • Options
    6:15 pace = 2:43:52 marathon !

I'm much happier training for marathons thoough the summer. Long runs in the evening as the sun goes down, if it is too hot in the day; grass which is firm and dry, and OK for evening runs; shorts and vest, rather than being confined by even the best cold weather gear...
  • Options
    this is the 1st time my half splits have been very close only lost 45secs on 2nd half normally loose 5-8mins
    I put a lot of this down to the fact I actually did some speed work this year
    on the talk of heart rates mine was going nicely at around 158 until mile 20 then 172 till 25 and 188 to 26 I know that a big push was put in for the last mile the other 5 was a case of getting a bit excited or worried over the last 6

hammertime-the only concern I have on nottingham is that you start with the half runners dont get carried away with running with any of them not my favourite course but managed to get a county medal last year
  • Options
    Cheers WC, heard it was an out and back course, I shouldn't be too worried about the course though, as I spend most of the time staring at my feet:-)
    County medal sounds impressive!!

Well done for London, I was really pleased for you.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    TmR, I must have got that wrong then as I can't imagine ever doing that kind of time and I've only ever run sub 6:30 m/m over 5k and with reps!

Wardi, I enjoyed the summer training for a marathon even though it was hot and I suffer with hay fever and asthma. I can train slowly in it, just not race. I used to go out about 8am too for long runs and mostly I went along coastal paths taking in any breeze available:o)

Thanks for the marathon ranking RC, I'm happy enough with that:o) BTW yes I ran faster shorter distances in the London build-up, but that was because you didn't do 5k-10k. I reckon if I'd completed Bath I would've been behind your time, which was excellent! I guess we're are very similar abililty runners which was evident in the marathon:o)
  • Options
    WC, what % of MHR or WHR is 158 for you ? I think it OK (& obvioulsy was) that you let it go up and worked harder from 20 ml; you were obvioulsy well in control and had enough left to let it go up like that.

Hilly, do you have % HRs for other races distances and paces ?
  • Options
    Wardi

I don't like training in the heat, so I wasn't looking forward to it much when I entered Berlin last year. In the event though, I did most of my long runs early in the morning before it got too warm and as many sessions as possible with the club in the evening, which I am always motivated to do anyway. I didn't enjoy the sessions I had to do on my own in the early evening, so I'm going to try and fit more in in the mornings this time.

Enjoy Berlin - it's a great race.

Sim
  • Options
    Cardiff, I think I'll do Cardiff.
    I beleive it's around the begining of October and the "Land of my Fathers".

My Dads' been diagnosed with the big "C" now so I could take him back to his childhood home for the weekend and squeeze in a marathon whilst he chills out with a coffee, the pappers and brunch for the morning.
  • Options
    The discussions on HR are very interesting since it was the high HR (now attributed to my cold) that did for me on Sunday. Some analysis follows, I have quite low resting and max HRs so I'd be delighted if any of the experts could offer some views:

Sample long runs:
    20 miles ave HR 129 (68% WHR) pace 8:06 per mile
    21 miles ave HR 135 (hilly route 71% WHR) pace 8:14 per mile
    22 miles ave HR 131 (70% WHR) pace 8:04, but last 4 in 29 minutes

On Sunday I could not get the HR below 150 at any point and generally it was up toward 158-160! (I know I should have slowed down but what the hell :-) ) To illustrate my issue I ran a 10 mile PB in February averaging 6:50 per mile IE sub 3 marathon pace holding exactly the same final average HR as the marathon (154) including lots of walk breaks near the end. My strategy seemed sound, aim for 7:40 per mile and keep under 75% HR, end result 3:42:05 and huge pain over the last 6 miles. Is there anything I could/should do differently?
  • Options
    Sim - I'm now back in town so expect to see me at those evening club runs again! I still regret that I missed out on the all the months of sub-3:15 training for FLM with the club, though.

Pizza Man - sorry to hear about your father. Hope things are going OK.

All this talk of HR has reminded me to get a new battery for mine! I'm off on two weeks holiday tomorrow but will start training with it again when I get back.

SB - I've now entered ND30K. See you there? Anyone else?
  • Options
    hilly - we seem to have gained some positions in the marathon ranking and so are now 91st and 92nd respectively! Pipes, you're obviously even higher up, in the 80s.

No, I haven't been obsessively sticking to the site and refreshing every five minutes in fascination because I never dreamt I'd have a ranking at all - I just went in to get the URL to send to my family!
  • Options
    I'm booked in at Cardiff for October Marathon. Did a jog on wednesday and played football last night and my legs feel really good today.

I'm thinking about all those mistakes I made at FLM, that prevented me getting a better time! I really enjoyed the day, but it's obvious I have a lot to learn about this long distance running lark!

Maybe I should start to be a little more organised with training. Are these HRM's really beneficial, or are they really more for the serious honed athlete whose looking to knock seconds rather than minutes off thier time?
  • Options
    I'm itching to race again - ran 7 easy miles last night - felt full of running and legs feel so strong - shall ease back into normal weekly routine tomorrow with a few laps of Greenwich Park - really fancy a crack at the 3 Forts marathon in 9 days time on May 1st.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Bjorn - some people swear by heart rate training, others think it is pants. It should work for all levels of runner. Apparently you can pick up cheapo HRMs for £20 so it might be worth trying it and seeing if it works for you.

Graham - I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are barking - how you can even think of another marathon 2 weeks after your last one I'll never know :-)
  • Options
    Podro, I've got a feeling it (HRM) will tell me I'm less fit than I beleive.. sunday told me that! I don't need to be bought down again!

Will see what the shops have to offer tommorow.

I guess it's an aid like any other piece of kit, don't rely on it, but use it as part of a sound training plan.
  • Options
    Podro - a club colleague of mine ran Taunton, Paris and London on successive weekends - he's running Shakespeare on Sunday and 3 Forts the week after that. He just runs as he feels and does them each at a steady pace (as opposed to racing them) and is consistently around 3:30 depending on how quickly he's recovered from the previous run - he doesn't train a lot between marathons, just does enough to keep his legs turning over (being a former royal marine helps - him, that is, not me!). I'd just love to be able to do that - problem is I'd try and run them all fast and get injured.
  • Options
    Spoke too soon! 17 women from the mass start beat us on Sunday so our rankings have dropped again :-(

Bjorn - I do think it is worth experimenting with HR. I didn't use it at all this time around because my batteries went flat and I didn't around to replacing them but it is good to get an accurate idea of how you are running relative to your capacity rather than relying on perceived exertion.
  • Options
    pizza man-sorry to hear about your dad
    have just read Jane Tomlinsons book very uplifting and moving but it shows what you can still do
  • Options
    TMR-my max is 180 so running around 85%
  • Options
    PM sorry about your dad, but it is good to spend so time with each other. Hope he enjoyes it aswell?

Humph as you had a cold your HR would be and stay abnormaly high?

I used my HR monitor on sunday did most of you not??

Went out last night and I was good and slow. another marathon in 2weeks you are mad Graham? (barking)?

I think HR monitors are great but you do have to like looking at the numbers all the time or you will mis the patterns. That is only my view.
  • Options
    see, hilly, cartman and WC running at 85%. How about this for a scheme - plan two autumn marathons about 4-5 weeks apart if poss. In one, probably the first, go at 85% HR till 20 miles, then speed up as you feel, but confidently and aggressively. See what happens. If you blow up spectactularly so be it; if you slow down maybe you'll still get a huge time. If it all goes amazingly well forget the second race, but if not go steadily for your 3hrs.

Humph, I'd reckon your cold was the major factor in totally messing up your marathon and the HRs. If you were confident that you'd done the miles, and the long runs, and 6:50 pace = 154 (in Feb, so after marathon training probably lower) and 8:04 (70%)= 131 ... no, I need one miore figure here, what % is 154 ? We can then work out 85% and your marathon potential.

I have to say though, that I had been working on the same theory for myself, and not surprised that 85% was only 8:10 pace after all the training I'd missed, but was surprised after 16ml when I started to slow and HR rise; again I blame the missed miles of training. The beginning felt to me like standard or slightly easier than usual marathon pace. So my attempt as a experiment on myself didn't work either. But, AP, I didn't find the occasional glance at the HR figure a problem, and I adjusted as necessary. Towards the end I would have run as I'd felt, though.

BL2, it won't tell you that you are less fit, but should change as you get fitter; but it will give indictions of effort for pace. I've had a HRM for years, but this is the first year I've used it for most runs, and I'm finding it more and more instructive. In short races, I've just worn it and only looked at the data afterwards, but that in itself has been really useful so I can extraplote race distance and HR, from which I worked backwards to my marathon HR. Eg marathon pace was 7 bpm less than 10 ml pace. How does this equate with other people's ?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    The only other races I've taken my hr TmR are a 10k, but it was the TOTM and I didn't feel good, then it was 6:38 pace and 83% WHR and the 1/2m before London where I ran at 6:51 pace and hr 78% WHR.

RC, are you finding the information on the rankings site or FLM?

alan, I wore my hrm, but to tell the truth I don't even look at my watch much when racing. I tend to know if I'm feeling ok and vise versa:o) But I like to look at the results afterwards. I'm not really confident to use it as a racing tool as I think so many things can affect hr on the day.

PM, hope your dad is ok!

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Has anyone been tempted by the new Garmin Forerunners - apparently they take automatic mile splits with average heart rates too. If I didn't already have the basic Garmin I think I'd be tempted.

Nice idea about going to Cardiff PizzaM.
  • Options
    TMR, 154 = 87% WHR, max is 173, last tested in Jan, mind you managed an impressive 163 at one point near the end on Sunday :-)

Longest 5 runs total = 97 miles
    Pre marathon 2005 miles = 725 but dropped off considerably due to a couple of niggles during taper, averaged 55mpw in Feb and 60mpw in March.

BL2, I tend to use the HRM on longer runs to ensure I am not running them too hard and in races to see the data afterwards as TRM says, on Sunday though I wished I hadn't seen it since it was a very accurate predicter of what was to come!
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff going on here today. I'm quite relieved that I decided not to race with my HRM on Sunday, given my cold. The reading would no doubt have been sky-high between 13 and 16.5 miles. When I did my 'easy' undulating 10k the week before London though, it barely exceeded 70% and I completed it in 44:25 - such a shame I wasn't able to race it as I'm pretty sure I'd have smashed my PB on that date.

Thanks for the link, RC. I've never ventured onto that website before. I noticed that a women almost 20 years my senior ran sub 3:15, so it looks as though I have plenty of time left in which to achieve my goal, though I'd rather get it in the bag at Berlin - looks like there could be number of us there...
  • Options
    TMR, omitted 1 direct comparable:

14:45 for 2.4 very hilly club time trial, average 6:09 m/m @ HR of 156.

Without the cold I was really expecting to hold the 75% WHR, just wondered whether the may be any other external factors I might be able to control next time? Already planning to shed some pounds and add a more consistent base to my longer mileage before entering a marathon specific phase as I think my longest run in the whole of 2004 was 12 miles.

• Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    A women = women
  • Options
    hilly - I was looking at the rankings site for the overall rankings for the year but then someone told me the outstanding women (including Nell Mc Andrew and no, that's not what I meant by outstanding) had been added to the FLM results so I went to check there. I just went by those who had numbers over 1000 because before there hadn't been any with times less than 3:18. I think there were eight from the mass start who did less than 3 hours - pretty impressive if you think how much harder it must have been running with more people. But then, we didn't have any pacers, so maybe we didn't do too badly ourselves.
  • Options
    I'm not a HRM owner, but I can see how they could help. They can't substitute training, but they could help you to put in more training miles. Therefore unless you are prepared to put in the second or third run of the day they have limited benefit IMHO.

In the race situation you may just end up missing your target TIME because you ran at target HR. A bit of eyeballs out effort and self belief may be faster than the theory element of just running the numbers.