Sub 3:15

Comments

• DM and hilly do duathlon run-bike-run no swimming and you get to use your bike DM.

I have managed to get a cold so I can't run again yet but I am going ot get back soon?

And as for next year I am going to go again so will see anyone that is up for it. But I am going to go full out for sub 3 next time I will not miss????? lol

see you there blisters and LLL you going to run again yet? (Don't answer that yet if the answer is no!)Stroud has a mid week race soon are you 2 going to do it 4th may?

Have nice hols RC hope we are all still here when you get back?
  • Stroud BEER race?

If I get back in time from work.
    Especially if there really is free beer to all finishers....

Theres also Tewkesbury HM a few days later, but I think that entries are closed on that now.
  • 1/2 pint or first 100 runnrs? but there is not normaly that many lol
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lol DM, remind me not to swim with you for fear of getting drowned!

alan, I like the sound of duathlon, although I'm no expert on a bike either:o)

Where are you LLL?

Off for a run in a moment. Have 10 in my mind, but will bail out after 7 if legs feel tired.

• hilly most duathlons are made up of poor runners, or poor cyclists, and if it is not to far (we have a 2-10-2) race local to here. There is only a slight advantage for a cyclist.
  • AP: Thanks for the vote of confidence in my potential! I am 32 (12 Apr), i may do another marathon later in the year - see below. I am not a running club member but i am looking into joining one, i can see the obvious benefits of them (especially the fact that it wont cost so much to enter each race) and as for the speed work, again - see below.

Having read a few running magazines lately (unfortunately for my friends and family I think i have been possessed by running) i will try to spend the summer months concentrating on speed work during the week, but i will also try to keep doing some distance work too. Maybe 12-13 miles every sunday with a 20 miler thrown in every 4th week or so. Im also going to keep my hand in with the races, just to give myself the occasional goal. These races will be a max of half marathon and most probably 5k,10k, 10milers. I am having second thoughts about doing a marathon to get my GFA qualification though. Im not sure i have the time to get one in within the qualifying date and improve my time significantly enough. Blackpool is too close, the only other really fast course, Cardiff and Abingdon, i believe are run too late to qualify for FLM. Are there any other fast courses around August/September time? What about the Robin Hood?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Cardiff isn't too late to qualify. I believe blisters made is GFA entry from Cardiff last year. Although you have to be quick getting it posted off!

alan, if I see one advertised local to me I might give it a go:o)

Did 10 miles at an easy pace this morning. Felt ok with no aches or fatigue, but didn't push it. It was one of those runs when you're glad to be alive and especially be able to run:o)
  • I have a grade1 cold now and nead to rest a bit .But am keen to get back at it now????soooooooon
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Don't rush back if you've got a bad cold, alan.

I felt fine on my run and my muscles feel ok, but I am finding I need to sleep far more than normal. I've just posted on Mike G's thread for advice:o)

When is Stroud half marathon?
  • Hilly
    Sunday the 23rd October 2005 date for stroud half marathon
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks alan, just need to work out if that's too soon after New Forest marathon.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It might be ok as NF is on the 18th Sept, so plenty of time for recovery. Is it a pb course as I'd like to try and take a chunk off my half later in the year!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Swanny.. if you fancy an overseas marathon within GFA cut-off, Berlin is on 25th Sept and is a very fast course.

2nd recovery run today, 8 miles. Legs are definitely on the mend, about 80% back to normal.

Watched the Rothwell 10k (near Leeds) this morning. The winner was absolutely flying- 30:03! The 2nd place guy (31:00) had strolled around FLM last week in 2:21! Cripes, how the other half live.
  • It is a fast course but it is undulating. I don't know if it is because it is the end of the RR year or the coures but it has a lot of fast times on the course.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Those are seriously fast times Wardi!

Thanks alan, I really like the sound of stroud. Will definitely think of doing that one and as it's 5 weeks after NF it works out quite well.

I'm just organising my races for the rest of the year!:o)
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Alan - sorry for the delay in answering - 3.52 this year, previous mara was 3.20 (White Peak 03). I think that could be a warning for Swanny - a relatively good start to a running career can easily go pear shaped if you can't sustain training without getting injured. I was down to 37.31 10k within 6 months of quite light training (15-25 a week) but in the few years since I've only managed to take 7 seconds off that.

• Popsider - Thanks for the warning, i will certainly have to take care not to overdo it.
    Hilly - Thanks for the advice on Mike Gratton and the info regarding Cardiff.
    Blisters / Anyone - Can you confirm or deny that Cardiff is within the cutoff for the GFA entry?
    Wardi - I will also have a look at Berlin, luckily i have quite a few good mates dotted about in Germany.

Well i have had a week of almost complete rest. The only running i have done was an orienteering competition i did on Wednesday. Its not something ive ever really done before. It was a team event and our team managed to win it by 5 minutes! So 2 medals in one week, although it hasnt quite knocked my FLM medal off its perch!
    So back to it tomorrow, I must admit aswell that i have got into this running so much that I am seriously thinking of giving up my first passion, football. I just cant risk the injuries it always seems to bring at my age (32).
  • Swanny: er, sorry, can't do either just yet. That's because FLM haven't (to my knowledge) published the cut off date or requisite times yet. However, it is LIKELY to be, because it was last year. Has anyone finished reading all the free bumf from the FLM weekend yet? PS, 32 is an absolutely prime age for distance running.

• blisters - Sorry, that was a bit of a stupid question really, i should have thought about it before i typed away. But at least you have confirmed that it was inside this years, thanks.
  • So ive had a few potentials to aim for for a GFA for next year. Currently im toying with either:
    Cardiff, - likely to be within GFA and a fast course
    Robin Hood, - definately within GFA but is it a fast enough course?
    Berlin, - within GFA and a fast course, but not sure i can afford the cost or time away.

Suggestions?
  • Ohmygosh

Rang home last night after delaying my return by a couple of days to find my good lady has booked tickets for an evening of alternate music ..... "shaman voices celebrating the expressive sometimes supernatural power of the human voice" ... Mongolian, Finnish, chantinng yak herders etc etc ... on the only night I can go running with my club before coming back here. I guess it is payback time for all the marathon training.

I will enjoy it. I will enjoy it. I will stay beyond the interval. I will enjoy it. I will enjoy it.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lol DM,you WILL enjoy it!:o)

Swanny, I'm doing New Forest Marathon on Sept 18th, which is before Cardiff so should be in time for entering for GFA. It's an undulating route, but still seems to produce good times for those I know who've run it.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It sounds good DM, I'm sure you really will enjoy it!
  • Morning all,

A good weekend of gym training for me. Am playing football tonight, so am looking forward to a good workout !!

More gym and running for me later in the week.

Hilly - About the sleep, I'm sure it's natural, I think I've slept around 10/11 hours a night. I would think that it's just the body re-energising itself !!

Anyway, happy running all !
  • Morning all,

Thanks for the various bits of advice and comments on HR's and blowing up. TmR, I'll take your virtual 6:59 m/m right now :-)

Also looking at Hilly's long run total there is also another huge benefit to be had from developing that base mileage, clearly once a 20 mile run is 'easy' then upping the pace a little and adding the extra mileage on race day is lower risk.

Swanny, 32 is quite young to pack in the football but you sure start to pick up more knocks (and bookings!) as the body slows in the mid 30's (says 37 yr old retired footballer!) Sounds as though with some structure and focus you have potential to improve considerably.

7 mile run for me yesterday, legs still a little heavy and cold remnants resticting a little but all in all not too bad. I'm also getting the post marathon exhaustion though, last night in bed by 9:30 and still fast asleep on the train in to work today!
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I packed in football at about 34 - the reason was whenever I wanted to race I had to miss a game - and as the team had competition for places I started taking a couple of matches to win my place back. Also a long run at the weekend often meant I was playing the day after a 15 miler. I must say I don't really miss it.
  • Hi folks - well a week after FLM and back into running. I didn't quite manage 3:15, I got 3:18 instead, which was close enough to make me smile. Hope you all had a good time too.
  • DM if the lights go out you may be able to catch up on some kip
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Paul, I'm sure you right and feeling sleepy is normal. I've been much better today and managed the day without yawning more than about 10 times!:o)

Enjoy the footy!

Well done Unicorn!

Debating whether to do a gentle plod or rest. I'll give it another half hour and see how I feel.