Sub 3:15

Comments

• Come on Julz, I think the sub 3:00 thread is thataway --> :-)
  • Well I already feel a bit like Columbus about set off over the Atlantic! - whether I can maintain the sort of pace required for sub3:15 over 26.2 miles is a complete unknown for me, and sub3:00 is significantly faster.

Still though, if my training goes really well I would not be hoping for 3:14:59, I'll be looking to go as fast as possible.

I'll be reading the sub3:00 and sub2:30 threads also.. :)
  • Cheers, Hilly! Although my mileage has never been high, I think that in the 4 years I've been running (ablbeit very interittently for 2.5 years) I've built up a high base fitness level. I think my PB's are very close to what yours were before you started training for Cardiff, though I don't have the luxury of a sub-3:30 marathon to speak of!

Julz, agree with you on the 3:14:59 thing - that's way too close for comfort.

Well done Sapper on a fab debut marathon time!
  • I did 3:06:25 last year but training was tough so not sure whether to go for sub 3:15 or take it easy this year
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    LLL-hopefully you'll get into London and all you others who've not got a place yet!!

sapper-on the mileage thing, I found I loved doing high mileage and didn't get fed up with it very often. I agree high mileage isn't for everyone and as you say there are other ways to train! All my other marathons were off a peak of about 55 miles, but with most weeks around the 45 mark and I believe I ran them well, but for me I needed the extra miles to go the extra mile if you see what I mean. I think I'll be following a similar scedule for FLM. I'm not a natural talent but I'm a gutsy runner and don't give up easily, so have to put in maybe a few more miles than some-but we're all different and as long as we get to where we want in the end, that's what counts!:o)

What's everyone's plans from now to the beginning of marathon training.

I've got a series of races between now and Christmas, mainly 10 miles and multi terrains and then a 10km to finish off the year.

• running gently for the next few weeks, drawing a fine line between building up my base mileage and not aggravating/allowing my calf to heal totally (I was having another look at the beginning of your thread about that Hilly!).

Still after this mornings 3.5 miler my legs feel pretty good just now, only the very faintest of twinges, so hopefully my other 3 runs this week will be just as smooth!

if I dont get into the FLM - I might end up taking the long view, building up some serious mileage (I've never gone above 30mpw!), rather than dive into an alternate marathon.
  • Hilly it seemed to me that you enjoyed and coped well with your high mileage, but like you say we're all different and i think it soon becomes obvious if you can't take it.

In the summer i stayed near Purbeck which i believe is near where you train?,and what a place to train, it's all hills, steep hills or vertical!At the end of two weeks i was just about getting used to it.
    Is it right that yoiu are running at Cheddar, i hope to run there too,but am still shuffling at the moment and i think it might be to soon.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Julz-good idea to look after that calf! I suffer with mine and have had the odd tear so know how frustrating it can be!

You look quite young so you have plenty of time to chip away at your times!:o)

sapper-yes, I've entered Cheddar and am hoping to get a pb there! Might see you there then!:o)

I'm racing this Saturday too and am a bit unsure how my legs will cope as it's a course that has a steep hill to do twice! I've never run well on this course and 3 weeks after a marathon doesn't bode well, but it's a club championship race and county league.

Purbeck isn't too far from me and I often run over similar terrain. The coast paths are beautiful and the one I do most regularly is a bit off the beaten track and not very hilly apart from one killer hill at the beginning going down and finish coming back up.

Which part of the country are you from?
  • West Oxfordshire,on the edge of the cotswolds, so we have a few hills, but to run along coastal paths regularly must be bliss if not tiring.
  • Hilly-My plan is to get Stroud out of the way and then get straight into the high mileage and leave the races alone for a few months.I would like to build up to 50 a week if i can.
    The Tewkesbury 5 looks tempting and theres a 5km winter serious near by too(never did a race less than 10k).

The sub 3 hr marathon is my dream but id loved to break the hour for 10 miles too.

Less races and more miles for me for a while am afraid.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sounds a lovely place to live Sapper!

LLL-you'll get all those goals, I have no doubt about it!

My problem is I love to race and normally do about 25+ a year.
  • LLL Why not build some races into your training plan? Glos 10 miler Jan 3rd, oooh I'm sure I could find you some nice ones. Racing does improve your speed and fitness, and should form part of a well balanced training diet.

Sapper I'm sure that our paths will cross soon. I live in Gloucester, LLL in N Bristol. I saw your name on the Eynsham 10k thread, although I've not committed to too many races just yet.

Although I'm at Stroud Half on Sunday.
  • My plan for the remainder of the year is to slowly build up base mileage and mix this with a few races.

This year after giving up my club place for FLM due to work and childcare commitments I have concentrated on racing at or below 10 miles, I'm averaging around 35 mpw at present, so in a way marathon build up starts from here.

Races up to the end of the year include 2 10 milers, a 5 on boxing day and regular x country league fixtures, all these are mid to north Essex based
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I wish my club were affilliated to a x-country league as I love x-country.

A shame you had to give up your club place Humph, they're a bit like gold dust in my club!:o)
  • We are spoilt Hilly, as we are entered in 2 leagues, 13 races in total. We are quite a small club so the skipper is always on my phone so I have also grown to love it.

It was a wrench to give up the place but pressures of work and young family really constrained the available training time. Hopefully I'll get a ballot place this year if not it will be time to remind the club committee how many x country races and marshalling duties I've covered this year :-)
  • Put me down for this time frame as london is a going to be a training run for my real target of next years Comrades 56 miler.

Glad too see I have some good company
  • Hey, Angelis! Hope you and your training are going well.

My plan is to build up the mileage each week, but also to incorporate a few races (some seriously some not so) as that's one of most enjoyable aspects of running for me, and living in North London gives me loads of options.

Nothing for a couple of weeks (unless I purchase some spikes and have a go at a 2.5 mile XC in the Metropolitan League) but then I have:-

7 November – Rainforest 10k (Victoria Park)
    14 November – St Neots Half (PB attempt)
    21 November – Brighton 10k (PB attempt)
    28 November – Nike 10k
    14 December – Hogs Back 9 Mile (Guildford)

That's it for year then, unless anything else tempts me.....
  • SusieBee, great racing schedule, did you run the Bardfield 10k back in September?
  • Humph, yes, and it was on my birthday! I made sure I celebrated afterwards though! 13 XC races? That's a fair whack! I've only ever run one XC (apart from my school days)and I finished 75th out of about 90 – found the going rather tough on soft ground minus spikes.
  • XC races certainly can be tough going, puddles, ankle deep mud, v steep hills but then you get a good strength workout and there are peeps on the forum that just live for mud, agreed studs or spikes are essential to avoid the Torvil & Dean look! Standard is quite high so I don't lose too much sleep over being further back than the average road race.

I think from memory we must have finished close together at Bardfield, hopefully that bodes well for a couple of sub 3.15's.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Angelis, good to see you're still into the crazy kind of runs!:o)

Humph-always good to have a trump up your sleeve!:o)

Plenty to do this side of Christmas SusieB!

I've got a busy couple of months too with:-

23 Oct-Weymouth 10 (see how legs have recovered!)

31st Oct-Stickler 10 miles (3 peaks of Dorset off road run with 1500ft of climbs)

Nov 13th-Cheddar 1/2 (pb attempt)
    Nov 14th-Sodbury Slog (crawl around!)

Nov 21st-Wimborne 10 (pb attempt)

Nov 28th-Boscombe 10km (not a pb attempt as course is a slow one, so going for club points)

Dec 17th-Boscombe 5k (pb attempt)
    Dec 26th-Round the Lakes 10k (pb attempt)

Then a weeks rest before marathon prep begins.

• Here's hoping, Humph.....

Seeing your schedule, Hilly, there may be room for a couple more! Realistically, though, I know that I need to start getting those 2+ hour Sunday runs in.....
  • SusieBee should see you at Hogs Back race not doing the Nike or Brighton again this year as winter will be spent increasing endurance and increasing mileage again.
  • I'm with you Plum. I'll see how Athens goes, though it probably isn't the best course to gauge future times on! Right now I can only dream of 3:15. I still have to break 3:30!
  • The 3:30 thread as gone very quiet.Everyones on this one.

Blisters:Im doing the Glos 10 for sure.Loved it last year.Also the Tewkesbury 5 but that might be it for the year.I dont like going over 30 miles if im racing thats why i have to ease down on them abit.
    What other races have you lined up then?

Hilly-Didnt relise you were doing the slog.I was gonna give it a miss this year due to sore kness(getting over those hay stacks)but im on the Glocosmine now and they seem to be getting better so if your doing i might have ago.Was alot of fun last year although i lost a trainer in the water pit.
  • Another vote for glucosamine.

Top tip - don't try listening to Royksopp when doing intervals. They were awful tonight, despite only being 400m, until I switched over to the Prodigy - then they flew by.

Only got a 4 miler tomorrow and then a 'stretch the legs' 3K on sunday before the big fella on Monday.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I swear by glucosamine and chondroitin being a person that suffers with lower back trouble!

SusieB-having spent the whole of the summer doing 20+ mile runs I'm quite happy to ease off a bit between now and Xmas and just do the odd one in between races. I love to race and this time of year is always the busiest. I'll be a bit more choosy in the build up to FLM though.

LLL-it'll be nice to meet you at long last!:o) I don't think I'll be racing round though as I'm doing Cheddar the day before. I think I was having a mad moment when I entered those together!

Good luck Toucan, I'm sure you'll do great! What's the weather forecast? My club mate is doing Dublin.

Hi Plum, spotted!:o)
  • You guys.

I have been known to mention my sub3 interest, but because I have still never in my life run more than 7 miles I'm going to lerk here for a while.

After Marlow in a couple of weeks I might move to the sub3 thread or the sub3:30 thread accordingly.

That's all.

EP...
  • I've just finished my mega pot of cod liver oil, and had bought a huge pot of vitamin C as well as Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I only discovered later that the G/C has a daily dose of vitamin C included.

But what pills! They are like trying to swallow house bricks.

My knee is feeling better partly due to:
    a) reduced mileage
    b) Avoiding my Kayano 9's
    c) Using the Nikes more
    d) Come off it, one day of changed supplements won't mean anything
    e) I've booked a physio visit, so that must be it.