Sub 3:15

Comments

• Hi guys,

Didnt get that pb and did 1:26:46.Went off faster but couldnt keep to 6:20 min miling and was always struggling and couldnt get any sort of fleunt stride going.

Abit disapointed but on a plus side nearly 4 mins up on last year.Also a big improvement overall this year up to last year so something to build on.

2003 halfs 1:30,1:30,1:27
    2004 halfs 1:25,1:25,1:26
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done LLL, don't be disappointed it's still an excellent time! You'll get that sub 1:25 soon, you'll see:o)

On a different note, can you tell me if Sodbury is easy to find from Dorset? I'm pretty poor at finding places!:o)
  • Hilly, you know me. 8 weeks training 6 weeks injury. The last thing I did was get a silver at the Herts 10k finals (V40) at the end of Sept. Tore a calf the following week and am aiming to be jogging again next Sunday.

I'm planning to do the Wokingham 1/2 (fast and flat) in Feb and asses London from there.

You seem to on the up, well done.

Triple L that's some good times there well done
  • Pizza Man

Would that be "donkeys" London, or "bottoms"?

Good luck in the recovery phase!
  • Hilly-Sorry ive taken so long to get back to you,ive just been out for a few pints of guiness.
    Sodbury is by Yate which is about 9 miles from north Bristol.I think you said you lived in Weymouth so i guess you would be better off coming up past warminster and Bath and then across jnt 18 of the m4 and down into sodbury that way or the other way is up the a37 and into High littleton,Keynham and then along the Avon ring road and then turn right on the a432 through yate.

Boy oh boy you have a long way to come.

If your stuck we can always meet you somewhere.Hope i havent totally confused you.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done on the silver PM and hope your recovery is swift!

LLL-thanks, I don't take much to get confused where driving is concerned! I didn't realise it was so far away-doh!! Not sure what to do yet. As I'm doing Cheddar the day before I might just not do Sodbury:o(
  • Come on you have to do it,its the only reason im gonna do it.
    Me and my other half have a bet going.I say your hair doesent stay so perfect at the slog.lol.

Blisters-Loved your race report today,who is this Smashy women.Shes abit fast wow.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    LLL, sorry to disappoint, but after consideration it seems a bit too much after doing Cheddar. I should've really thought it through properly before entering, but I got a bit caught up in wanting to do lots of different races! Now I'm having to rethink some of them so as to avoid injury and overtraining/racing! My hair is always in place, it just stays that way-unless it's wet!:o)

Smashy-is an elite runner. I think she just missed out on a place in the Olympics.
    I think youve made the right decision Hilly.It is alot in just 2 days.
    We will meet up one day im sure.
  • Still lurking.........keeping everything crossed that the cheque gets cashed.
  • IH
    Read some of this thread and am in and looking to go 3:15 or less, would strugle to go under 3hours and that is very costly. So will be in and out in the coming months
  • Very well done, Hilly, in such appalling weather conditions.

Very well run too, LLL. I guess once you get on a roll with PB's, it's a tad disappointing when you race and don't get another one. I'm sure you'll get that sub 1:25 very soon.

Yesterday was the first Sunday in four that I hadn't raced and part of me wanted to abandon plans for a long run and have a lie-in. However, I suddenly pictured the finish line at FLM 2005 showing sub-3:15 on the clock, so got up and ran 12 miles in an easy 1:45.

• Well done Hilly in testing conditions.

I did first XC for the club in wet hilly conditions in Liss yesterday a lovely 6 miles course which tended to go up hill more often then down and finished on a nice uphill climb.

I love XC as you get so muddy and love running through puddles splashing all the people trying to avoid the puddles.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks SB and Angelis. Well done on your long run SB and on your x-country Angelis!

Yorkshire Lass-I know what I'm going to have to listen to on our runs this week then!:o)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Angelis-I forgot to ask what time did you do in the Kingston marathon? I know you said you went through half at 1:30, but you never said what time you finished in.

• Hi all,

Like to join this thread, I did 3:15:38 in my last marathon and would like to improve. Problem is I never get into London and being a pessimist I am already planning my spring marathon, favourite at the moment is the dead sea marathon, or maybe the ultra.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Welcome JF!

Maybe this year will be different and you'll get in, fingers crossed for you!

The dead sea sounds interesting, when is it?
  • Me too! Me too!

Please may I join you?

I am definitely doing a marathon next 17/18 April and am definitely going for sub-3:15 - I just haven't decided yet whether it'll be Boston or London. Either way I'd like to join this thread because I'll be doing exactly the same training at the same time as the rest of you.

Susie, we're obviously going to be seeing a lot of each other over the next few months!

My next races are:
    14 November - Brighton 10K
    21 November - St Neott's Half
    5 December - Grim 8
    12 December - Hog's Back

plus numerous cross-countries in between.

Originally both Brighton and St Neott's were going to be PB attempts but I'm currently in post-marathon (Sunday) recovery and think that might be a bit too soon to try and run hard and I'd only be setting myself up for disappointment. It's also complicated by the fact that I have x-country races the day before each of those.
  • ratcatcher, how did you do on Sunday?
  • Foo, I finished in 3:12:01, so that was my sub-3:15 goal achieved :-D
  • Well done ratcatcher. I did a quick look to see if I could find your time from your previous posts but couldn't see it. However, it looks like you've made huge improvements already. Anyway, congrats on your 3:12, not joing sub 3:00 then? ;)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    RC-you're as bad/mad:o) as me doing all those races after a marathon! I've now decided to be a bit sensible and be a bit more selective with the races up to Xmas.

• Hilly, I promised myself I would stop piggy-backing on your training thread after my marathon because I feel like a parasite but I must admit it was after I caught up there this morning that I decided not to necessarily race the races I have left this year! I don't want to push my luck too much but also am not quite sure exactly how much to cut back or how soon to start again. Looks like I will have to carry on piggy-backing on your thread until I've figured that out :-)

FB, no! I think I'm being realistic when I say that is very definitely out of my reach. I still feel there must have been a lot of luck in my getting the sub-3:15 on Sunday because I did mess up my pacing rather. I've set the target of 3:10 just because one has to have goals but actually all I really want is sub-3:15 to give me an extra year of a championship FLM.
  • Alright chaps theres a lot of people on here - quite a few definites and quite a few maybes such as myself.

Thought I'd ask you all - who already is gearing their training specificly for the marathon and what training are you doing?

Seems like a lot of you are racing quite heavily and are at a high threshold anyway so the marathon specific stuff can maybe start later for you guys.

Me? I'm at the opposite end of the scale, solely looking at building up base mileage (I want to get into the 30s!) and also not running hard because I want my calf to fully heal up if possible, so I've decided no races for me until the new year.

Anyway I'm curious, and if by some fluke I do get in it would be my first marathon anyway so I've got a lot to learn from you guys.
  • RC: Since you do a lot of races, what are your PBs? Being a marathon virgin it's useful seeing what times people have done in shorter races to reach a similar goal.
  • RC - I know what you mean about the parasite feeling, I feel constantly like that because I have no knowledge or experience to dispense and I'm always asking questions!

Congratulations again btw on Lausanne - storming run!
  • julz, I've entered Rome as well as the ballot for FLM, so I've already started a 24 week marathon training plan. First 6 weeks is just building up easy mileage and I'm doing about 50mpw on average. I've got another 10k (nike so it'll be slow) and a series of three 5ks that I'm going to do before the end of the year. For weeks 7-23 there are more specific speed training sessions that I'll try to follow and am aiming to peak at 90mpw if possible.

From next year, I'll probably skip any shorter races and just look for half marathons or similar.
  • What plan are you following Foo and is it available on line?
  • Jack Daniels' Running Formula though there's a 2nd edition due out any day now which I've ordered.

Excellent book.