Lets talk Football

Comments

• have u not thought about joining the london branch of supporters club that way u'd b able to keep up to speed easier and i believe that branch get rail discount as well and if u did want to get to games it'd b a lot easier for u as there's bounds to b sum1 else from the branch going.u cud car share or meet up on the train etc.i'm a member of my local branch and have been for two years.i'd reccomend it to any1
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all;

I must have mised this thread up til now, anyway,

I have interest in two teams, firstly the one true great FFC (Colemans Army) 4 wins on the bounce now - I hope ist five against the old locals tommorow.

I like to see how WWFC (Wycombe) as I originate not far from there, when I growing up they were right down in the lower non leauge set up - could be interesting who is going to be the new Boss.....

Take Care and Enjoy:-)
  • I don't know why clubs like Wycombe, Watford et al. Employ managers like Adams and Viali.
    These people who have achieved great things in their carreers have absolutly no idea about smaller clubs as has been shown.
  • It is unfortunately a fact.

These lads have come from a background of being waited on hand and foot with the best of everything money can buy with regard to training facilities, madical and physio services atc, They arrive at the clubs with hardly two pennies to rub together and cant work out why they cant do the same things as they are used to doing with the big clubs they come from

Barnsley 1 Forest 0

Where do we go from here.....
  • I think thats a bit strong PM. Adams and Vialli would've both started at grass roots level at some times, and I wouldnt even put Watford down as a 'small' club. You'll be saying that gay multi-millionaire extravagent pop stars have no idea about 'smaller' clubs next.

Anyway, what a local derby. Anyone who saw the result of the Spudz-Arse game would've thought it was a corker, but it was more like every shot went in. I'm even now starting to bend in the direction that Cygan and Lehmann may not be the best central defensive/goalkeeper partnership in the world. Good job we can score 5.

I was at the Fulham-Chelski game and it looks like Chelski are starting to get their sh!t together on the pitch. Its going to be such a shame when Abramovich ups and leaves (which he will), because these guys are going to be the next Leeds twice over.

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Fergie must be a bit upset that he missed out on Robben, spesh now that Giggs wants to get out at the end of the season.

Another great away win for us. Granted it was only against the Brum but fortuntately we only get to play the Arse a few times a season. Fulham next week. Welcome back Mr Radzinski.

Championship looks a bit open now that Wigan are slipping. Good to see the Tractor Boys up there - success is not guaranteed by chequebook management
  • I doubt that Giggs wants away. He's rejected the offer of a one year deal and says he wants to be offered a longer deal. Doesn't really suggest that he wants to leave. Just the opposite. Seems certain he'll be offered a longer deal, and will eventually accept it. It's just negotiation.

Another great afternoon at Loftus Road to see the Rangers squeeze a fortunate win out of the league leaders. I'm almost beginning to believe we can make the play-offs.

• Oh dear oh dear Garry.

I hear this comment about Abramovich leaving all the time, and usually from Arse fans. If it makes you feel better, then keep believing it... But I would not hold my breath waiting for too long if I were you.

At the start of the season I thought the Arse would win the title fairly comfortably. Now I think it could go either way. With probably Liverpool to finnish a fairly distant third.
  • There was a very interesting article in the Times this week about Abramovitch and how the authorities are closing in on him. There are moves afoot to declare illegal the way he managed to buy some oil company for next to nothing and sell it for about £6 billion. Whether he has other resources I don't know, but I'd have thought the repayment of this sort of amount would have caused him some difficulties.

I hope he loses the money. Half of Russia is living in poverty and you get wideboys like him just walking away with massive riches by doing nothing more than exploiting a legal loophole. And does he do anything useful with the money? No, he buys a London football team and pretends he's some sort of latter-day emperor.

Chelsea have spent £240m on players in little over a year. I'd love to see it go belly-up.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    If Abramovich is there at the end of some of the contracts that Lampard & Terry have just signed then I'll be surprised. I reckon he'll be happy with a couple of major trophies. Not that there are many Chelsea fans around to know what it's like to win the league.
  • Even if Abramovich leaves the situation wouldn't be the same as that of Leeds. Leeds got themselves in big debts, which wouldn't be the case with Chelsea.

As a matter of interest (and envy aside!), why do people think he's (been) bad for football? Is it just the easy money he pays players' transfers and wages? Or is there more to it?
  • Mutu, Veron, Crespo, Ranieri, etc all out in a season with nothing in return - thats very sustainable.

Don One - I dont think its just Arsenal fans saying this sort of thing. I was at Fulham yesterday and the Fulham fans were saying the same. I dont think he will necessarily leave in 1 or 2 seasons time but he wont be sticking around forever.

Wayfarer, I dont think anything either way, just stating the facts. The Chelski situation is not sustainable without Abroamovich so when he goes the current situation can't continue. Most Chelski fans will even admit that.

And I'll be the first to admit that Chelski are playing good football at the moment and have a very good chance of winning the EPL or even the ECL. (that will be our 'you won the league in black & white' song down the pan).
  • Abramovitch? For a start it's had a catastrophic effect on wages. Just as things were in danger of getting sensible.

More important though to me is that he's like the stereotyped rich git whose values have become corrupted, and as a result corrupts everything around him. He's determined to buy success. No matter that there will be no honour or sense of achievement in it. He's lost that understanding. I think he does know what success means, but has no true understanding of 'sport', and certainly doesn't give a fig about tradition.

Look at the turnover of players. It's just a gimme-gimme frenzy that I find embarrassing.

There's no doubt in my mind that Chelsea will win the league and quite likely the Champions League. Why shouldn't they? They can buy whatever talent that's available rather than having to go through the process of developing and evolving and improving. They'll win everything going but it will be an empty triumph.

I support a club that has put together a team over 2 years for barely £100K. Yes, £100,000. We've worked very hard both on and off the pitch, and have clawed our way back up to a play-off position in the Championship from the gloom of Div 2. Every match is like a cup final and every point is celebrated like mad. We owe £10m, and every week there's a chance that we'll be out of business. It's knife-edge stuff.

Of course I accept that some clubs will be richer and bigger than others. But in Chelsea's case it's become an absurdity. They can buy literally whoever they want whenever they want.

I find the whole thing hollow and without any merit. Players like Veron (bought for £18m then virtually given away for nothing when it was realised he wasn't very good) are thrown about like confetti. And poor old Charlton. They were 4th in the league when Chelsea came along and bought their star player just to stick in their reserves. It's actually corrupting because it opens the possibility of being rich enough to disrupt opponents by luring their best players away.

It's devalued the process of straining to achieve something. If they fail again this season, they'll just wipe the slate clean and buy another squad of players, and will continue to do so till they win it. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the gist!
  • The FA Cup.
    who decides which game is going to be the televised game on the BBC in the earlier rounds. Today was oldham vs thurrock.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    SB,

I nearly fell asleep watching it! Don't get me wrong grass roots football is so, so, vital, but the crowd didn't even bother turning up did they.

A lesson in football yaeterday at the cottage, don't give chelski a chance, they will murder you!.... (Lost 4 games at home now, all to clubs up there. I just hop that a certain Mr Radzinski like scoring against his old club next week.. no hard feelings Gavo - by the way good start to the season - seem to be all the better without a certain someone....

Spain on Wednesday - whats your thoughts.....................

Enjoy:-)
  • Yes, RC, I get the gist! Just about!

Anyway, to follow your logic through, where do you set the boundaries? I mean we had rich people pumping money into football clubs before, but I don't remember people making a big deal out of it.

Buying power: there aren't that many players that Man U couldn't buy. True they don't have a bottomless pit of money (like Chelsea seem to have), but they do have considerable buying (they paid £28m for Veron!). What about R Madrid (to widen the debate a bit)?

For your S Parker, I raise you my L Saha. Aren't the 2 situations similar? Shall we go back to recapping? I think we should.

By the way, I am just asking questions. I love football and if there is anything which I absolutely dislike about it is the obscene amounts of money which are paid in wages and transfers. And not just Chelsea.

Oh, that and the cheating!
  • The English is not great in places (sorry), but I am sure you get the gist!
  • now let me get this right, Manchester City are the only team to beat Chelsea this year. Strange yeah. With Kevin Keegan the defensive mastermind, comes outs and wins 1 - 0. go figure.
    Although i do believe a certain mr robben wasn't playing, because of an injury, and since he's been in the team, he's managed to get them out of jail a couple of times.

Spain on wednesday - leave beckham on the bench.
  • I see Mr. Shearer was as gracious in defeat as ever. With shearer,souness and Craig Bellyache Newcastle must be the biggest whingers outside North London
  • show me a good loser and i will show you a loser!
  • fair point but you can be a bad loser without being a whinger.
  • and newcastle are bad losers AND losers
  • Wayfarer - yes, there has always been a hierarchy in football based on spending power, and it's always been a bugbear for most of us, but Chelsea are in a separate category. They have reinvented the whole thing. Their escalating offer for Thierry Henri reached £70m before Henri made a public pronouncement about not deserting Arsenal at any price. At this point Chelsea decided not to embarrass themselves further. People often quote Blackburn and Fulham as being examples of clubs who bought success from nowhere. In fact there are plenty of precedents but no club has ever had the opportunity to corrupt the entire game.

Although I resisted the idea for years, I think it's time now that there was some sort of European or World Super League where Chelsea and others could go to, and leave the rest of us with the real thing.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Throwing money at a club does not guarantee success. How much money did Wolves spend for the glory of 1 crap season in the Premiership?

The transfer & wages system was about to settle down (well, the richer clubs would still pay obscene wages but people were learning lessons from the likes of Lazio) before Abramovich came along. I don't know how it would be managed but there needs to be a salary cap to some extent. Or at least share the income from Murdoch TV evenly.

I'd rather see my team follow models of teams such as Bolton and Charlton, as opposed to Boro or Newcastle. Or Fulham. Now, I would love it (KK (TM)) to see Radzinski 'do a Kanu' against us next week. That would make my year.
  • Chelsea are a great side this season and if they win the league, and let's face it they could, I'm afraid everyone except Chelsea fans will say they bought the title.
    They offered £70m for Henry!!!!!!!

Who can compete with that?

Good on Henry for showing some loyalty.

• Gavo
    I thought there was a correlation between spending and success? Top 5 spend = top 5 success (Leeds being the exception). Seems to be a move toard the US sporst model.
  • If you have enough of it, I think money does guarantee success, Gavo, though not necessarily instantly. The point is that all those suddenly-moneyed clubs - Wolves, Blackburn, Boro, Fulham etc - are in one category, but Chelsea is in a totally different box. Their chairman has something like £7 billion to spend. He could buy up the entire Premiership hundreds of times over if he was minded to.

He doesn't have to care about anything as long as it's got a price tag on it. He's made up his mind to buy the title and the Champions league, and probably the FA Cup and Carling Cup while he's about it. And I think it would be a real surprise if he didn't manage it. We have to just accept it. But his side of the bargain is to understand that it will be a pretty hollow achievement.

But I've gone on about this enough now, so I'll shut up.

Come on you Sooooper-Hooopsa!

• Oh, I meant to add that I agree that Charlton are an inspiration to all smaller clubs.