Lets talk Football

Comments

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    travis - yes, it would be hollow to sneer at the Ars£ if/when we whup them Sunday (as we recognise they are streets ahead of us at the mo') but I think I'd manage to raise at least a smirk if it happened!

As for Fergie, well I've always been one of the 'look at his record, things'll come good in the end' crew but....

...having a few doubts myself now - why take Giggs off not Millar tonight? what is John O'Shea doing in midfield? Play him at the back or sell him but don't play him there.
  • Higs, Sunday is going to be very interesting. I always get nervous of the ManYoo games as they always seem to raise their game and sure they will do again on Sunday. Mind, if we play like we did against Villa, which was absolutely breathtaking, who cares what the score will be. Really looking fwd to this game.

Reading that list from ESPN, there is one factor in there that proves it is horseste.....................Celtic....er hello.

• I'll be there on Sunday, have looked forward to this since last season.
    We will have to be at our very best with the Arse having an off day.

My biggest concern is Arsenal are scoring for fun whereas we couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo

• Snoop Dog, going back to an earlier comment about the value of the Premiership. What Andy Gray said was that Arsenal cannot claim to be a GREAT side until they win the Champions League. I think they will, personally.

If they went another league season unbeaten, IMHO that would be more impressive than winning the Champions League.

"What no Liverpool"?? We did naff all last year mate ;-)

On to last nights performances.

Man Utd - What are they playing at? Was not impressed at all. They need to play better than that on Sunday (which they will), or they'll get whooped big style. They seem to have caught Arrogantitis, the long-standing disease of all successful clubs which means you play well against big clubs but can't be a**sed against the smaller clubs. They'll get through the group stage, but I don't expect much from them this year.

Liverpool - Well, that was great. 0 - 0 wasn't what I was looking for, but we looked dominant throughout the game. A couple of wobbly moments and some slack defending - uncharacteristically from Carra who's had a great season - gave them 2 opportunities. Deportivo will not make the semi's this year. All in all, I was impressed with the work rate - work needs to be done on the final touch - with a little more ruthless finishing I reckon we could have been 3 up by half time.

MoTM - Djimi Traore. I never, ever, thought I'd say that. Played above my expectations for the full 90 mins, and was solid. Why did he never play this well under Houllier?

:-)

Good luck Arsenal.
    Chelsea? hmmmm.. I'm saying nowt ;-)
  • dandy,
    i wish it were a case of "arrogantis" there was a time when we couldn't be arsed against smaller clubs and still win..but now it's case of trying to raise our game and not being able to.
    higs,
    will be there on sunday.it will be a great game i'm sure....as long as o'shea doesn't play in midfield!
  • I'm in North stand , tier 3.
    Where are you guys?
  • StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Morning Guys. Watched the Pool game last night and have to say that everything was there apart from the finish. I thought we deserved to win. A couple of questions for Mr Benitez. Why didn't Kewell play from the start. Why are you allowing Ciise to get away with being a lazy b******d. Finally Garcia is not a winger. Anyway it's going to be tough to qualify from here unless we get our away form sorted. The away game to Depertivo will probably decide it. Didn't watch the Manu game but Kewell was right wasn't he when he Utd were on the way down when he signed for us LOL.
  • stylish, hindsight's a wonderful thing, and i wouldn't believe everything kewell says.he was angling for a big move to italy for quiote a while and when that didn't materialise he went for the team he supports.we may be down at the moment but it's nothing compare to the 'pool's demise.how many years is it now since the last league/premiership title? was listening to alan hansen interview on radio5 on sat and he did state quite honestly that there are players getting into the squad now that would never have under paisley and it's continued...sorry if you think that biscan is a liverpool player then john o'shea is patrick vieria...sadly the trend is being repeated at old trafford at the moment.
  • I was in Tier 2 for years. moved to tier 3 when it was built. I am right on the half-way line. Fantastic veiw and good cardio-vascular workout getting there!

Just hope the match lives up to what everyone is expecting. Loads of goals, Rooney hat-trick, Henry magic, Keane and Viera sent off for fighting, Fergie and Wenger arguing, shite ref decisions, Pires and Ronaldo both getting booked for diving, torrential rain, bad tempers throughout, NOT a draw, Someone we have actually heard of doing the half-time draw, me winning the half-time draw.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  • StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hey Travis just pulling your leg.I agree with what you and Hansen say about Pool and yes many have pulled on that shirt that I for one wouldn't have anywhere near Anfield let alone playing for us. The fact is a lot of clubs saw what Wenger had done and thought a foreign coach was the answer. A foreign coach may be the answer but not when they play all foreigners in an English league. This has killed production from the academey, anyone who shows any promise is loaned out and we get crap overseas players on massive salaries who haven't got the passion needed. I could go on and on. We're still a million miles away from the top three and as much as I'd like Benitez to turn things around I think it will be the manager after him that will deliver the EPL title. For the moment the Arse rule.
  • travis. It may be a long time since the last Premiership title, but we're most definitely on an upward turn right now - League Title #19 won't be too many years away now.

That said, the squad we've got isn't the best by a long way.

We need to drop ASAP (including loaned out players)

Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou, Smicer, Finnan

The following need to prove themselves or get dropped:

Le Tallec, Pongolle, Traore (on last night's performance), Biscan (you can't help but like him, despite his obvious lack of composure on the ball. and touch. and vision)

We need to bring in:

World class full back, World class defensive midfielder (repl for Hamman), World class left winger (comp for Kewell & Warnock)

I'll leave my opinions on right wing until Nunez is given a run out.

travis - Welcome to Anfield 1992. I don't think you'll struggle as much as we have done, but I can see a massive dip once Fergie goes. Now that'll be great to see ;)
  • actually don't agree with you Stylish, I think we're not that far away from the Mancs (and going in opposite directions) and it'll be Rafa that delivers the EPL title. But time will tell :-)
  • Agree with stylish on the foriegn players issue.
    When Liverpool visit old trafford it was always a blood and thunder tie with everyone on both side playing their hearts out.
    Recent meetings we have seen Owen, Gerrard, Carrighar and Murphy trying all they can to put one over on us but not much from the others.
    Smicer in particular doesn't understand the rivalry.
  • Agree totally.. it's just not like it used to be.

• it's ok stylish i wasn't taking it seriously.am too old to get worked up over a bit of banter but not that old not to care about "my"team. agree about it not being like it used to be.ther is no passion about big city rivalries anymore and that's down to the players who just see it as another game.no consolation but it's the same all over europe(real madrid got 45,000 last night for their champs league when their stadium holds twice that).
    dandy,you sound like houllier "we've turned the corner"..you may get that title and if it's done playing the right way good luck to you.however rafa benitez isn't known for playing flowing open football and i can't see him suddenly changing his philosophy..he's very mourinho like in that sense.but as you say pool and man utd are closer than people think though i'm not sure it's going to trouble arsenal for a while.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    So all the GSFC need to compete with the Arse are a few more world-class players? I've been hearing this rubbish for years. They told us that Riedle & Ince would be the answer. Then it was Collymore. Fowler was going to be better than Rush. Owen was going to be better than either of them.

Then we had the Chuckle brothers and the arrival of Bag O'Sweets Hulahoop. More foreigners than you'd ever heard of (and some you'd never hear of again) and his 5-year plan seemed to be ongoing. So now Benitez is the answer? Well, you've got rid of Heskey which is a start and the Spaniards are replacing the French slowly. But a couple of injuries up front (who else is a striker - Mellor?) and you'd be lost.

I don't pretend that my team is any good but they play for each other and if St David was given a fraction of the money that some managers have been allowed to waste then we'd be properly challenging.
  • travis - after watching Houllier's teams closely over the last few years I can already see some massive improvements - in style more than anything. I still have my reservations over the defensive tactics, but Rafa has more idea than me I'm sure! All I keep remembering is how Valencia came to Liverpool and ripped us apart - it was as good as watching Arsenal, and if Rafa can create that sort of team here I'm going to enjoy the next few years.

Agree though, we're not going to trouble Arsenal for quite a while - but a lot can change in 2 or 3 years.
  • Gavo - I never said we'll compete with the current Arsenal squad, I said that's what we need right now. We don't have the money to bring in the amount of players that we need to compete - those are just the requirements for January.
  • Looking forward to tonights ECL game against Panathanikos. I dont think Arsenal have done as badly in Europe as everyone makes out, we've just slipped up in some crunch games which is always a possibility in a Cup.

Dandy/Gavo the best way forward for Liverpool and Everton is to build a world class stadium and share it. Both clubs want new grounds so it dosent really make sense to build two new ones when you can only play in one at a time. I dont think either are too far off the mark at the present but some continuity could help. I reckon you need to give Rafa at least a couple of seasons to find his feet.

Still think Fergie is on borrowed time and this may be the season to bow out.

Qu,
    Are people generally 'anyone but arsenal', 'anyone but manyoo', or 'anyone but chelski'? Sure you have your team but you have to have the ultimate enemy. Mine is 'ABC' (Spudz is more of a laff).

• gary,the thing i about the first stage is that you don't have to be brilliant.it is as fergie says about getting to the 10 point mark then youre pretty much guaranteed to progress.so it doesn't matter if that the football's crap.remember real madrid being rubbish in the earlier rounds of the competition when they won it.
    don't think people are "anyone but arsenal" as much as they are anyone but manutd.there isn't the history. a lot of united's support was as a result of the munich tragedy and the tide of sympathy that it caused.all of a sudden the team were known worldwide and they became many people's second favourite and the team many knew in far off lands.then came george best and the adulation he caused.it was after this when liverpool took over yet many in the media always had an eye on a united revival.the support still continued despite a long period of failure and relegtion.it seemed then that people started building a reentment towards utd as it appeared that there were a lot of utd fans in places where they weren't supporting home clubs...i mean i met a geordie utd fan once..how crazy is that? the hatred multiplied when fergie took over and built a team in his own image.the rest is history.since then i think many have been waiting for a fall.
  • StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    "hatred multiplied when fergie took over and built a team in his own image"

Travis you've hit the nail on the head. It's because old sour face is so arragant that supporters don't like Manu. If he would just let his team and achievements do the talking then people would acknowledge that.No doubt about it he is the most succesful manager ever but his style leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Its all part of the soap opera Stylish. You hate it when he's being arrogant, and then you love it when he has egg on his face. Character's in the game are what is required and Fergie is defo one of them.
  • very true travis. Chelsea are going the same way as well - there's a lot of resentment around the impression that there's a chairman who's playing with a new toy, rather than a football fan running a club - especially when the net effect is turning the EPL into a monopoly money league.

I don't believe in anyone but Man Utd, unless it's in the league. When it comes to Europe I might not care of they win or lose, but I won't be hell bent on supporting anyone who's playing them. I know plenty of people who are, though.

Man Utd have the paradox of being the most supported club in the world, and simultaneously the most hated club in the world. Great work Sir Alex ;)
  • If Gavo is referring to David O'Leary as "St David": remember what he did when he had money at Leeds? Be careful what you wish for.
  • Probably referring to David Moyes.

Anyway it wasn't O'Leary's fault Leeds ended up where they are now. He built a good side and reached the ECL SF. It was the bunch of arrogant overpaid tw@ts on the field and in the boardroom that did that.

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Yeah, if someone wanted to give O'Leary £9m to buy Seth Johnson that's hardly his fault is it!

And yes, St David of Moysieside. Although I agree with O'Leary that only the top 3 can win the league.
  • Easy mistake. Even the genius AW makes the odd bad buy, particularly our 'fox in the box' complete with jug-ears and glass ankles.

You would agree that the top 3 could win the league. Is that the top 3 at the moment?

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Yeah, although Chelsea don't look that good at the moment.