Options

Lets talk Football

Comments

• Options
    Official - even Andy Gray (mr ManYoo bias) has given in.

No contact.

Heh ho.

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Gary - We had a dead cert penalty foul and we were awarded a penalty kick. Ok, they weren't the same incident but that (as they say) is football.

• Options
    contact in the box is a dead cert penalty

oldgit said so himself

(unless its the home defence box of course)
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys first of all glad Arsenal lost as I wanted Man U to win. One thing I can't stand are players who run to the ref every time a decision goes against them. As good as they are, the Arse players do it too much for my liking especially the captain. The ref was crap and as I said last week why not get Mr Collina over for the big ones.Carrol didn't have anything to do all match thats how ineffective Arsenal were. I don't like Scobby Doo that much either but the guy's has plenty of bottle.

Now for Liverpool. Thats the biggest 2-0 thrashing that I seen given out for a while. Yes it was only Charlton but last season we couldn't even beat the rubbish teams. It is no exaggeration to say we could have and should have had about six.
    The movement was excellent and passing great. If we can just finish these moves off it'd be brill. The front two, especially Baros needs to realsie that for the good of the side he has to pass to players in a better position than himself. Ciise could have tapped in a hatrick if players had passed to him.Anyway not getting carried away but at least we are seeing entertaining and not boring football.
  • Options
    Rant alert, rant alert...

'Stylish':
    I hate the way that people who 'support' the ManUs, Arsenals and Liverpools of this world dismiss clubs like Charlton as "rubbish teams".

Charlton are a shining example of what can be done on a budget of virtually zero. It wasn't long ago that they didn't even have a ground. The fans campaigned, they had their own councillors elected to help force the issue, people worked their socks off to raise money for the ground, half of which the fans built themselves. Then Curbishley arrived, built a great squad and youth system out of nothing, got promoted and have managed to consistently finish top half of the division. Scott Parker was a great player, but of course a club like Chelsea (who were hammered by this "rubbish team" 4-1 last season) call in and buy him up to decorate their reserve team. It's a miracle that Charlton exists at all. Give them some respect.

OK, OK, I'm being over-sensitive perhaps, but I support another "rubbish team" whose entire squad cost less than 3 weeks wages for Steven Gerrard. We've fought our way up by being resourceful and working hard, and not just expecting to win games by divine right, like some of you guys seem to.

Grrrrr!!!!

• Options
    RunningCommentary

I have been a season ticket holder at Old Trafford for over 20 years. Try not to generalise.

Teams like Charlton are what football is all about. Watch out when Fergie retires, you won't find many United fans saying no to Curbs
  • Options
    I wasn't generalising, Mr P, or didn't intend to. Though I can see how it might have read like that. Perhaps I should have said :" ...people who support [the behemoths] who dismiss...".

Yes, I appreciate that not everyone is in that category, though you do hear it all the time on phone-in shows: "we should be beating teams like that". There's no "should" in football. If you can, do it. A bit like Mr Stylish's "we should have scored six". Mmm.

ManU season ticket holder, eh? Well done on today. I saw the 2nd half on TV, thought Arsenal were poor. If they'd played all match with the urgency they showed in the last 20 mins, it would have been a different story. They gambled, and gambled wrongly.

I'm an ST holder at QPR. My ManU claim to fame is being at the 1968 Euro final, and running round the pitch with them after the match (I was only 10 - forgive me). I remember clapping Brian Kidd on the back and being fascinated by his sweat on my hand. It was really hot. I've never forgotten that.

• Options
    My QPR claim to fame is I stll have a beer now and again with Trevor Sinclair's Mum and Stepdad
  • Options
    Ah, Tricky Trev. Was a great favourite, mainly because of him scoring the goal of the century in the cup against Barnsley. Fell out of favour a bit because he lost interest after we were relegated from the Prem, then went to West Ham for peanuts, where he suddenly started playing properly again. But apart from that, still well regarded down here.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Plod - I'm mates with a couple of Trevor's cousins! He made a bad move by going to Man City though.
  • Options
    Have known Trevor since he was about 5 years old.
    He's a Man City fan through and through.
    When he was at Blackpool he could have signed for Dalglish at Blackburn or Reid at Man City but only Francis at QPR guaranteed him 1st team footy so he went there.
    I think the Man City team now is one of those that looks brilliant on paper but just can't do it consistently enough on the pitch
  • Options
    Liked the result, but I went to the betting shop just before the match to put down a stake for MU 1 Arse 0. Thanks a lot Rooney!
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    RC- "There's no "should" in football. If you can, do it"

Agree with that comment.I actually admire Curbishley and wanted him or even Allerdyce as Manager before we got Benitez.

"A bit like Mr Stylish's "we should have scored six". Mmm.".

Well unless you were watching a different game 6-0 would have been a fair reflection on the match and not even Mr Curbishly would have complained. But yes it is down to us put our chances away.
  • Options
    RunningCommentary - Charlton are exactly that - the shining light of a team who live on Zero budget, yet strive to finish mid-table every season. Along with Bolton, they are the best no-money-teams over the last couple of years. Everton are flying high this year despite not having the chance to spend the ShrekaRooney money yet. Those are good teams, who deserve to be in the premiership, but who are confined to be content with mid-table finishes and maybe a top-6 finish once in a while.

That said, they are still the teams we as Liverpool fans expect to beat.I think Stylish' comments about the progress we've made come from the fact that our main failing not just recently, but ever since the Premiership was formed, is that we struggle to kill off the lesser teams in the division. I believe the test will be away from home, when we go to WBA, Palace, Norwich, Villa, Brum, etc... We've already struggled against Bolton, Man Utd, Chelski - and to some extent Fulham, but as an LFC fan we can see improvements all over the park.

And most of all it's entertaining to watch. During the loss at Old Trafford until this year... I was entertained and that was good enough. If we lose at Anfield, that'll be a different story!

YNWA :-)
  • Options
    Talking of rubbish teams...Spurs.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    well rob, funny you should say that..as a spurs fan I am not settling down for a typical spurs season! But how happy was I when Man U won last night? Oh joy!
    Sorry but some arsenal fans I know were getting even smugger than they usually are....
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Hi Dandy - OK, that's more measured than Stylish's message (and certainly more than mine!), but you still talk about "lesser teams". Before Charlton were robbed of Scott Parker, I think they were 4th in the league - certainly above Liverpool. This means that their results were better than Liverpool's. In other words, a better football team than Liverpool at that time.

The key difference between your club and the Charltons of this world is that you can afford to buy, or try to buy, success. They can't. The new Liverpool spends millions on players, and if they don't work out you dispose of them (usually at a loss), then splash out millions on a few more. The problem with this technique is that it doesn't really encourage resourcefulness, hard work and the nurturing of youth. Look at the great Liverpool teams of the late 60s, 70s and 80s. There was usually one major signing every year or two, but all the success came from choosing the right player in the first place and having a plan for integrating him in the side. It relied on vision, hard work, loyalty and massive backroom talent. I know people will say that the game has changed, and indeed it has, but Charlton are an example of how good housekeeping and loyal, talented staff can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. OK, so they haven't had Liverpool's past success, so let's look at a better example: Arsenal. Yes, they are a rich club, but given that, they generally don't splash huge sums around on established stars. Wenger is the most cerebral, talented coach in the league in my view. Every player seems to be well chosen, just like the Shankly/Paisley days, and he has created a real team there with a single-minded vision about what the club means.

But I don't mean to be critical of Liverpool. I've felt more sorry for them than derision in recent years. Apart from a visit to the mecca of football that is Loftus Road of course, I still regard a trip to Anfield as the greatest treat available in English football. Football is all about tradition, and Anfield somehow allows the visitor to communicate with that tradition better than any other ground I know. If the new Liverpool are rediscovering that tradition on the pitch too, then that's good news. But don't spoil it with talk about "rubbish teams". Liverpool fans should have more integrity than that.
  • Options
    well, I did say "lesser" rather than "rubbish". I don't like to claim teams are rubbish, as I said I have a lot of respect for them. At the time when Charlton were 4th, they deserved to be where they were. We deserve to be where we are at the moment. That said, Charlton finished below us, so we were the better team, ultimately. They were better to watch last year though.

Now if you ask me if I think Everton are a better team than us right now? Hmm.. that's a tricky one. Even with our game in hand we can't catch them, so techincally they are - but do I think they'll be there at the end of the season? No. In fact I don't expect them to be in the top 6. I expect us to challenge for 3rd or 4th with the Mancs.

I will stick with my assesment of them as "lesser" teams, as they don't have the history to back it up - however I would never say they're rubbish. Every team in the football leagues have talent, a talent which many of us fans would do well to appreciate. Just go out on a Sunday and try to do what they do, then have the bottle call them rubbish.

Comparitively, though, they are "lesser".
  • Options
    Bournemouth aren't lesser or rubbish.... We are brilliant...

and we play in league 1 ... the only english league with a "1" in the title... which makes it the best... end of discussion.
  • Options
    There's a Ryman Division 1.
  • Options
    lol yjimbob - 4th right now, and hopefully more this year, eh?
  • Options
    (oh.. and do us (Mansfield) a favour and slap down Chesterfield on the 20th, mmmkay? :-)
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Dandy - thanks for your patronising of fans of teams "who deserve to be in the premiership". All 20 teams deserve to be in there equally. Chelsea don't have a great deal of history but are in the top 3 at the moment on merit. Or roubles.

Not sure going past Anfield makes me think of tradition. It usually just makes me want to go to the toilet. If I had the wings of a sparrow.....
  • Options
    I dont think of any teams as lesser teams apart from Spurs or Chelsea of course :-)

Good to see Riley got a '2/10' for his performance yesterday, which is quite generous.

• Options
    Eh? Sorry if you read it that way. All the team in the top division deserve to be there... my note of them being "lesser" teams is due to "lesser" quality, "lesser" history, "lesser" success. I never said they didn't deserve to be there.

Stop taking what I say the wrong way.. I'm not a Manc.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Orwell is alive and well. You're digging a hole there - teams like Chelsea & Newcastle have very little history of success compared to some others outside of the PL, irrespective of what quality they have at the minute.

What we need now is a Leeds fan to tell us that they're still a massive club.
  • Options
    Oh for god's sake, I give up. I've re-read what I said and it's clear you just don't get it so I'm not going to bother.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I get it. I just don't like the attitude - nothing personal though. A bit like the G14 (is that what they are called?) clubs complaining that they don't get enough money from UEFA.