Lets talk Football

Comments

• After another weekend of ref baiting, does anyone have any views on the pros and cons of video ref'ing, or at least another eye sitting in the stands?

Personnally its beyond me why we havent introduced it years ago for major decisions, like in rugby.
  • I don't like the idea. But then I think there should be no offside either. Bring back goalhanging I say.
  • Definitely in favour of videoing everything, especially after a recent game against sheffield utd where our skipper and ace defender Gary Breen got a straight red together with the blade's striker Andy Gray for 'violent conduct'!!. Totally unlike our lad to get into any trouble and both clubs appealed the card but due to the fact that there was no video evidence(!!) the card stood and he missed 3 games grrr! Was made even worse by the fact that the decision came from the linesman!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I'm in favour of video refing after the fact (as seen with Redknapp, RVN etc.) but not during the game. It would take too long and would create a hierarchy of football - are they likely to have as many cameras at East Stirling as they do at Arsenal? Plus, what would we argue about?

Although, if it gets rid of some of the analysts then bring it on
  • Video ref would take less time than a 22-man brawl, the ref having to run to the lino, and then having to listen to the ongoing dross after the event. The most vital decisions are the goals, the penalties, the red cards, etc and they have to be made during the game. The only argument I can see is like you say, what would we argue about? Would football suddenly become boring without the controversy.

I dont buy the bit about the levels of video ref, because they certainly have a more accurate video ref at Twickenham than my local rugby club.

Anyway thats all boring because you might have just seen the future of football at the City of Manchester Stadium tonight. Fabregas has been awesome all season and provided a mother of a pass for our 2nd goal. Class, Man City swept aside and the quadruple is still on.

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Refs get the vast majority of decisions right, regardless of those in red shirts who complain. And I look forward to those 22-man brawls, although footy players can't fight any more - have you seen a decent fight in the PL in recent times?

It works well in rugby but that's an easier one to gauge on video. What I don't want to see is a move towards Yankee 'football' and the appeals decisions in that.
  • Leave footy as it is.
    I live in Manchester about half-way between Old Trafford and Gigg Lane (Bury FC). Can't see Gigg Lane affording the same video ref facilities as Old Trafford.

Besides, even though we get pissed off with diabolical reffing decisions, do you really want to lose that talking point for the after match beer?
  • You dont necessarily need to have the same standards at Old Trafford and Gigg Lane. You dont have to have cyclops to hold a tennis tournament, or video ref to play rugby.

I buy the point that carp refereeing decisions are almost integral to the game, and with video ref you'd lose that. Yeah and you'd also lose valuable hours down the pub discussing whether it was offside or not.

• I used to be all in favour of video ref's, but now I'm not sure at all. Unless the FA handed out the equipment to the smaller clubs for free (exactly how far down the national leagues do you go?) then as Gavo says there'll be too much of a gap between the equipment available at Arsenal or Accrington..

If they could do it, then the decisions would have to only be given video ref's version IF the ref decided he needed it, and only for:

- Red card offences
    - 2nd bookable yellow card offences where the ref was blindsided
    - Goals [did the ball cross the line, etc..]

Though I tend to agree with Gary - what would there be to argue about??
  • The difference in rugby is that the game tends to come to more of a natural stopping point anyway. Hypothetically in football a ball could be cleared off the line and from the next passage of play the defending team goes up the other end and scores. Should the ref have stopped the play to check whether the ball crossed the line in the first instance? Or does he let play continue and retrospectively check? Either way it's messing with a game that is perfect already.

Take away controversy and along with all seater stadiums it is another step towards making football an american style family sport with no tension, no passion and no atmosphere. Like rugby.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    come on you spurs!!!
    HUmour me peeps please;p
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Villa for the cup.There, that should make you laugh!
  • RvN-It was a 50-50 tackle.

giggle away
  • OK, video ref bad idea. What about good referees and lino's with bottle. There seems to be an argument that if you have video ref you've got to make it a level playing field, then how come the ECL gets the bald master and we get Rennie. One of the biggest insults is that there are a few refs that look like they've eaten too many pies, and half the lino's struggle to understand what they see.

What I would really like to see is a panel to charge players for blatant cheating. Not so much what Rooney did because that is almost fair game these days, but more the feigning injury (ie players that go head to head and one flings is head back as though he's been butted).

RVN - it was a 50-50 tackle. I think I've seen that 50-50 tackle in Tekken 3.

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I'm with the late Brian Clough on attitudes to refs. If a player is booked for dissent/ ungentlemanly thingy, then fine the manager as well and suspend him after 5 team bookings.

When he started I thought Rennie was going to be a good ref - fit enough to keep up with play and big enough to stand up for himself. And then you go to a game where he refs and you think again.
  • But he'll always be remembered by Sunderland fans as the man who sent off Alan Shearer. Fantastic.
  • Rennie is a loon. Wasnt he demoted to Division 1? Couldnt understand that either, if its supposed to be a level playing field and he gets the boot from the EPL why should the lower divs have to put up with it.

The problem with the controversial decisions they go more to the clubs with bigger reputations and bigger crowds. Its pretty clear that at OT if a ManU player goes down in the box the ref dosent have to think twice about awarding a pen, but if a Southampton player goes down at OT he has to be 150% sure. I know we get a similar effect at Highbury but our ground is a lot smaller so I dont think the refs get as intimidated. Hopefully it will be different at the Emirates.
  • But it's so quiet at Highbury that the ref can hear the contact between the players.

:-)
  • yeah, they don't even sing when they're winning!

"Mine eyes have seen the glory"
  • We only sing when we're winning.

I'm dreading the day you guys beat us at Highbury. Its bad enough when we draw.

• I think the game could be greatly improved if when a player goes down injured, if he needs treatment then he must stay on the sidelines for 5 minutes.
    Before everyone yells that it is unfair to the team who have been fouled. If a player is genuinely injured so badly that he needs treatment then a substitute can be used.
    It would stop all the diving and feigning injury. It would also stop the worst kind of offender - those that dive, ref thinks "No chance mate you dived" and waves play on, so twat lies on the floor motionless forcing the other team to put the ball out so he can get a squirt of water on his leg and rise like Lazarus. Whole thing takes about 4 minutes and everyone in the ground knows there is nothing wrong with him.

Now............if i can just stop all that bollocks near the corner flag with 10 minutes to go...................................................................
  • thinking about RvN's challenge on AC - he lost a season with a pretty bad knee injury himself .. when Redknapp did a similar thing a few weeks ago he was genuinely apologetic that he may have inflicted a similar injury on the guy he fouled because of his own injury

RvN didnt show any kind concern or remorse for AC in that respect if it was an accident from a genuine 50-50 ..obviously didnt learn much from his own experience

nasty dirty batsturd as well as clumsy then ?
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Redknapp got a yellow card for the assault on Cahill (excuse the bias). Cahill was lucky to get away with only missing a couple of internationals.

I'd rather see the FA clamp down on these things (minimum 5 game bans) instead of caring about players removing their tops when they score.
  • Maybe it should be compulsory for players to remove their tops when they score. It might force players like Neil Shipperley to go to the gym a bit more often.
  • Not a good idea RichardM
    when Giggs did that at Villa Park against Arsenal in 1999 the stewards called Dudley Zoo
  • Sad but true that I'm a qualified football ref. Gavo - just so you know the removing the tops rule was added as an amendment to the laws of the game by IFAB, the International Football Association Board, that FIFA is a part of. For what it's worth I think it's a daft rule but refs have to book the players otherwise we're not enforcing the laws of the game.
  • Quite..................more than your jobs worth
  • I got this from a reliable source and is a true account of the pizza throwing incident.

This is how it happened...... apparently

Fabregas threw the food. Van Nist went into the Arsenal dressing room after the game going mad winding up Arsenal players after last year. Wenger called him a F****** Cheat and told him to get out. Horseface went for Wenger, Edu stepped in and hit him, security guards piled in going mad. The kitman was hit by the guards and got a broken nose. He wants to pursue assault
    charge but Arsenal don't want him to. Ferguson then came in and started as
    well, ranting at the Arsenal players. They told him to f*** off, he grabbed Fabregas who responded in kind. Man Utd don't want any comebacks as Horseface started it and their stewards were out of order. Ferguson also knows he should not have gone in to the Arsenal changing room. If Man Utd complain the kitman will pursue his
    claim.....
  • Gary
    You won't be surprised to hear that 'reliable' sources in Manchester have the same story but the other way around.
    United kitman injured, Arsenal won't complain as if they do united kitman will pursue.

Do you realise how lucky we are Gary?

What would life be like without football?
  • Yes, very lucky. Bring on the weekend. Defo of life without football is the 3 months between seasons, every other year if you count Euro and the World Cup.

I think my version is true but ManU altered the names to suit. I take it your rendition didnt mention horseface.

The only shame at the moment is the animals at Chelski, West Ham, Millwall, and Liverpool this week. Granted its only 0.1% of each clubs support but they should all be banned for the near future.