Pre-London Marathon Hillingdon AC's, ' The Finchley 20 miler'

Comments

• Ooooo thx Frankeee - I'll ask nicely!
  • GM - where is the race info page? I can't find anything on the website except the entry form. Have people been sent something? I have to pick my number up on the day - is there anything I need to know? All is know so far is where it is and the start time.
  • Dear mountaingirl - I got race info with my race no. This arrived with me on Fri. If U have a fax no. I can fax sheet over to you.
  • GM - no, I don't have a fax machine - thanks for offering anyway. I guess water/drinks stations is the main thing I'd like to know - how many, what will they be giving out? Also, if there is a cut off time - just in case! And I am presuming the start in at/near Hillingdon's clubhouse?
  • ive just been messing with the race calculator on RW using my 1/2 time they predict 3hr 28 finish for 20 miles i think they are having a laugh marathon predicted time is 4hr 37 some hope hehehe
  • Hello All,

C'mon Jane believe in yourself. if i told you they stop serving cake after 3 1/2 hours would that encourage you to run quicker? Loved your comments on the mic bloke at reading. How annoying was he? I think shooting may have been too good for him...

Frankee well done on your time. What time are you planning on doing for Paris?
  • Guy,

if I can hold 7:30 p/m then I'm on for 3:15. Just depends on what the wall's made of...

Sunday will tell. Feeling good though.

Thanks.

What's your target?
  • I've scanned in Race Info. how do I attach to my mssg here?
  • i wish you fast blokes would understand the pain us plodders go thru im sure you suffer the same pain barriers as us however the big difference is we have to run alot longer than you to get there
    your finished and we still have several miles to run its called mental cruelty i still had 3 miles to go yesterday and saw people wearing their medals and wrapped in silver going home
    Then they have the nerve to moan we get in there way at the start and they cannot be bothered to wait and cheers us plodders home
    MOAN MOAN MOAN ok moan over
  • re the cakes if they stopped serving at 3 1/2 hours i would be mad as i run as well as i can every time
  • Hello - David and Marianne - are you out there? Still up for this?
  • Jane - will take some French Fancies for you just to be on the safe side :0)

I think the reason the quickies didn't wait yesterday is because they knew the traffic shambles that was about to unfold and got the hell out as quick as possible. saying that, i was cheering in after my run for a wee while

As for slow runners at the front, no comment!!

Frankee - am aiming for 3.00 - 3.15 at Paris (did Reading in 1.26:55 yesterday). Fancy meeting up on Sunday for this one?
  • Guy,

You may be a bit quick for me, but if you're aiming for 7:30 p/m we can. If I start to slow don't let me hold you back.

Jane,

I understand. My first half was agony in parts. By the way, if there's no cake I always carry goodies on race day... sure I can find something to re-vitalise you.
  • Those race calculators are way too optimistic. The marathon time it came up with would have had Paula looking over her shoulder! I'm only sub 8 min miling for half marathon! Feel like I've got a cold coming on - GREAT. Just what you want when you've got one of the most important runs of your training schedule on Sunday. Am downing the Vitamin C as if it's gin.
    And these people that run at 7.30 (Frankeee)...how long did it take you to get to that speed from say 8min mile? Or have you always run 7.30 since falling out of your pram?!!
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Jackie, I'm also hoping to run at around 7:30 m/m or above. Without specific 'speed' training, my speed inceased as soon as as I started to do increase my running from 2 to 3/4 days per week, or, as was the case, about an average of 15 miles pw to around 25. I noticed the improvement after only about a month to 6 weeks.
  • Jackie,

Did my first half marathon - Silverstone '04 with little or no running (Sunday run club at my gym) in 1:42 ish.

I had a couple of big advantages:

I had been training in a gym - including Circuits, Spin, Weights for over a year, at least six times a week.

I'm also built for running - tall and slim.

7:30 is just a guide as I won't know until Sunday. It'll be the furthest I've run. Probably optimistic over that kind of distance, but I averaged sub seven in Wokenham Half - What's life without a challenge?

I also have no other commitments, and have been very single minded. Not everyone can afford to do it my way.

Useful rule: I only ever measure myself against my own times. I'd go mad with frustration otherwise.

PS. Hope you feel better...
  • Jackie - do you do interval or hill training? I found that since doing these at least once a week my times tumbled very quickly. but would agree with Frankee and Susie, that gym work/X-training and simply upping the mileage helps too.

Hi ya Susie. How are you feeling today? You seemd a little frustrated on Sunday when I spoke to you. You raring to go for Sunday?

Frankee, would be good to meet up on sunday even to say hello before Paris. you 'll spot me from a mile off as I'll be in a very bright yellow Stragglers top.
  • Didnt get to see you at reading susie did you get a good time
    Even my run times have improved with higher milage did 7ks in 39mins 20 today on the treadmill which included walking for the 1st minute legs were good after Reading which is a surprise
    Hope the cold gets better
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Hi Jane and Guy. Good to see you. Guy, on Sunday and well done once again on a superb PB (and you on your run, Jane). I’m feeling a lot better now and my knee has stopped throbbing. Jane, I fell flat on my face after being caught on my heel by a chap running just behind me during the 6th mile and lost quite a bit of confidence and momentum for the remainder of the run, I still finished in under 95 minutes. It just wasn’t my day, especially as my timing chip failed to work so I don’t even appear on the results!

Looking forward to Sunday though and hope that I can keep Guy in my sights for a while at least ;-)
  • Guy,

will look out for you. Can only confirm that I'll have my water bottle belt on and very dark / black running gear, except for white / Blue Asics trainers. My number's 470.

Plan to get there about an hour before the off. Will let you know what pub we plan to go to after.
  • Frankee - Guy will have the gorgeous JaneE2, me (Jane) Go Martini + Carpet with him too!
  • Is that a collective gorgeous GM or were you just refering to your good self? SusieBee - does that count as stalking?
  • Gorgeous... will have to break out my best running gear.
  • Tom - i think it'll be a collective gorgeousness
  • On an up ... we're all GORG.

On a down ... weather report shocking for Sun!!!
  • And new members always welcome....
  • Frankeee/Jane
    Yes I've been doing interval training in the track for at least a year and it has helped my speed a lot. I knocked 13 mins off my half marathon time and can now run sub 8 min mile (before sub 9 min mile). I spose more of the same to get to 7.30min mile etc.

I don't do any cross training as on my nights off tend to not want to do any more exercise (or have no energy). Particularly at the moment with marathon training. This cold is not helping one bit. I was told not to run last night as it's in the sore throat stages and Sunday is too important.
    What's the weather forecast? Do I really want to know?! Have you guys all met each other?
  • Jackie,

What's your weekly mileage? I know mine's a bit unconventional (won't have done more than one 20 mile run pre-marathon), but I make up for it through the faitigue / endurance gained on some of my other efforts.

Am looking forward to, but never actually met any of you... only been on these forums for a couple of weeks.