Wednesday Session

Decided last night on a one hour steady run just to give my knee an easy outing - must get some mileage in - feel a bit like I'm running on egg-shells at the moment, scared to put any real effort in for fear of longer term injury.

Can't wait 'til this marathon is out of the way!

Today: Bike and row (total one hour)
Why: Cross training for muscle balance.
Days since hard: Lots
Days since rest: five.

Comments

• REst glorious rest!
    Did a 4 1/2 mile hilly loop last night in 42 mins which is very quick for me! Working on speed stuff at the moment as I want to do well in the Flora 5k in a couple of weeks - then it's time to build up for the Reading Half Marathon in March.

Some cross training today - packing to go away for a long weekend, so plenty of lifting bending and stretching required!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hope everything goes ok with your knee Martin!

I've decided to abandon doing my second marathon of the year in October. I'm going to concentrate on getting my fitness back to what it was after having all sorts of problems. I was only half heartedly approaching the training for the marathon as I wasn't able to do the kind of running I'm used to. Plus I realised that for me just getting round in a marathon isn't what I want.

So back to picking out shorter distance races, which I have plenty lined up to do and maybe a fast twitch triathlon in September. This brings me on to today.

What: 5k race this evening
    Why: Using it as a speed session
    Last hard day: Sunday (10 miles bike with a 5 mile run off the bike)
    Last rest day: yesterday.
  • It’s turned out nice again :o)

What: Swim – active recovery
    Why : feeling tired after last nights 70 min pace run (Club Night)

Last Rest Day: Saturday
    Last Hard Day: Tuesday
  • what: something easy - if I get the chance - out for most of day and umpiring/scoring elder son's cricket match this evening.
    why: recovery from interval session yesterday
    last hard day: Tuesday
    last rest day: Saturday
  • I would have been most impressed if your 5-mile run had been ON the bike

Are you aiming for any particular Triathlon?

Will

• My motivation is a bit lacking just now, really struggled over the last couple of weeks to keep up the good work.
    I should be going out today for an easy 10 miler.

last hard day. yesterday
    last rest day. Monday
  • Morning all,

What:
    AM - Swim 2000m
    PM - What: Run 15 mins easy, 15 mins at half marathon pace then a 10-15 min cool down (6M)
    Why: Legs are tired from yesterday's 10 miler (incl 6 x 1 mile with 200m recovery), so swapping todays planned mid week long run with tommorrow.
    Days since last hard: Yesterday
    Days since last easy: Monday

Gareth
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: Rest
    Why: I'm tired! 8 mile run Monday, 20 mile cycle Tuesday - now my legs feel like lead. Tonight will be a refuelling session, as I don't think I'm getting enough calories in for that amount of training. I might also cut the grass, if the rain stays off. Does that count as cross training?

Last Rest: Sunday
    Last Hard: Yesterday
  • Alex, I think a kick up to the backside is what's in order here, and get your a??? out there, you know you can do it, and when you get back let us all know how good you feel.

What: 7 mile hilly run with club (can just about run up them all now).
    Why: Because I know I need to do some hill training
    Tonight: Rest day (going for an Indian)

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Ha Ha WW,
    I'm sure you know what I meant! I'm thinking of doing Wimborne fast twitch on 22nd September. 400m swim, 15 mile bike, 4 mile run- about all I could manage having never done one before.

Also, I'm a little concerned over my swimming as I'm so slow.
  • To: 8-10 miles easy, depending on how hot it is when I leave work and how bad the pollution is in central London. Holiday next week so don't know much much training be able to do so want to get a hard week in this week. Got a weights session in the gym as well as want to look buffed on the beech (not that I'm shallow you understand).

Last easy day: Monday
  • The motivation drain must be sucking away merrily today. All I want to do is fill up my rucksack with food and maps and woollens and go climbing hills, but there's a bit of a shortage of hills to climb in the middle of Birmingham and I've got a full day's work to do anyway.

What: Probably do 6 miles followed by a gentle swim tonight, but I can see myself getting home and deciding not to bother.

Why: Time to start running again. There's nothing wrong with my legs.

Last hard day: Monday.

Last rest day: Yesterday.

Well, that's it posted. I've got to do it now.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • What: Notts AAA Summer League Race #5
    Why: Done 3 out of the last 4, so why not?
    Days since last hard run: Saturday
    Days since last rest: Today

Well this is the last race of this series. Apparently it's a ~ 5.5 mile undulating run. Starts at 7:15 tonight so I'll post a report tomorrow unless I feel super-keen when I get back.

mm
  • Hilly do not worry about you swim being slow, if this is your first try just enjoy the experience – you will find that atmosphere at Tri’s very friendly and relaxed.

As long as you can cover the distance of this swim you will probably find you make up time on the bike and run – one bit of advice - it will prove a great plus if you include a couple of race pace brick sessions in your training leading up to the race

Will
  • Hi folks!

What: 6M pretty slow, as I was tired from yesterday, but today's the only day I can fit in a long run.

Took even longer, as I spilt my drink, didn't dare attempt to get home without replacing it, went in to Waitrose raising many eyebrows, being covered equally in sweat and pineapple juice and crimson of countenance. Rather glad I didn't read Ironman's post before I ran!

Still it's wonderful to read, and wonderful to post on the same thread. Makes me feel even more a part of the race.

Nessie - it depends on your grass. Is it the sort you have to warn the children "Now don't play in the grass dears.."? Could be very cross training.

Hilly, WW, I'm hoping to have a go at my first ever tri - Cottenham 22 Sept: 400m, 20K, 5K. (It's got to be near home, no transport.) Suggestions what to wear, how fast do you have to be not to be a nuissance to the organisers?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Stickless

The grass is reasonably short, but 70ft x 30ft of it requires the aid of a pair of golf shoes to negotiate the rather severe slope. I only get "cross" when it's a tad damp and slippery underfoot - I've had to do some pretty fancy moves to avoid losing toes before now.

I knew there was a downside to buying a house with a view!
  • So much for my recovery swim session

I got to the pool an the 20m pool was empty - marvellous – perfect for a drill session – so I ended up doing:

200m warm up
    200m closed fist
    200m catch up
    200m one-arm only (alternating each length)
    10xpush & glide (completing length kick or arms only alternatively)
    200m warm down

1200m Total

Stickless:

Don’t worry about being nuisances – just enjoy – as far as what to wear, for my last race I swam in swimming trunks (pretty cold in the river Tyne) during transition I pulled on my running vest and wore this for both Bike and run legs I also took time to pull on a pare of sock (I’m soft like that) and sun glasses (plus cycle shoes an running shoes)

On top of that I normally take a number of just in case items including: - arm warmers, singlet, waterproof and cap

Just wear what you fell comfortable in :o)

Will
  • I must learn to type better
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Just read the last bit of your post. I've done a few tris, and been last in every one! I probably got the most encouragement of any competitor because of that. For the distances in your race I would be (approximately) 15 mins swim, 50 mins cycle, 35 mins run (slower than normal for 5k, but you do feel as if you are trying to run on the leg equivalent of castors after the bike leg). No-one has ever looked even slightly upset by this. Most events also put the swimmers off in waves, with the slowest first, so even if you are last by a long way, there may be people finishing after you.

If you can, buy a triathlon swimsuit (Bourne sports have some on offer), which has padding in the crotch. You can then pull on shorts over them and not suffer too much pain on the bike. Getting cycling shorts on over wet legs is well nigh impossible. They tend to be supportive up top too, which makes the run more comfortable. Put talc in your socks and shoes to make it easier to put them on. I always just cycle in my running shoes, as I don't have the fancy clipless pedals. Close fitting suglasses keep the insects from blinding you, and a helmet will almost definitely be compulsory.

Also, take a plastic bag or a waterproof holdall, as most transition areas are outside, and you want to have dry clothes to change into for the cycle/run, and for afterwards. An extra towel is handy too, to dry off a bit before cycling, especially if its a cool day.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    WW what are brick sessions, this is new terminology to me?

Stickless good luck on your tri! I intend to wear a tri swim suit for all three events, just adding bits in the transitions such as socks, trainers, helmet maybe a bike jacket and cycle shorts if weather is bad. Never having done one before I can't comment on times, but as WW said just aim to enjoy it, I intend to!
  • WW

Where do you get all your energy from, I'm exhausted just reading your post. I find swimming exhausting, probably because I'm not that good at it.
  • I would love to do a tri but the only swim stroke I can do is the anchor stroke!
  • Hilly,

Brick sessions are bike sessions followed immediately by a run. In other words get used to running off the bike as it is much more difficult that it seems.

As for clothing, just wear something you are comfortable in that can be used for all three disciplines, then you can just throw something extra on over the top if needs be. And remember that if you are using a wetsuit, to practise taking it off, as I have seen people take just as long to get their wetsuit off as they do to complete the swim!

Gareth
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Busy today so no chance to post until now.

What: Nothing!
    Why: Speed session last night consisting of 10 minutes gentle jogging to warm up, followed by 5 x 2 minute intervals followed by 2 minute recoveries. I managed to pace myself just right for once. The speed intervals were hard but not impossible, and I had just enough energy to complete them all at an even pace (not flat out!) but felt as though I couldn't have run another one at the end.
    Last hard: yesterday!
    Last rest: Saturday.
  • Hi all! Many thanks for your advice. Sure hope I've not got to wear a wetsuit, although there are plenty in the family because of dinghy sailing.

Brick sessions, hmm, might try one tomorrow, as I have a physio appointment 5M outside of Cambridge. Could almost delay my swim session tomorrow am until just before I must leave for my appointment to create the right atmosphere, but I think perhaps not. Tomorrow is supposed to be an easy day.
  • What: rest day
    Why: Because I was shattered. I did actually go to the gym and I did actually start my workout (20mins stepper and 15 mins treadmill @ speed of 8K - dismal I know) but half way through the treadmill session, I thought "bugger this, I'm off home". I just suddenly came over all tired and sweaty. I'm putting it down to PMS ... ugh! Also, I've trained everyday since Sunday so I think I deserve the rest
    Last hard day: Sunday.
    Last rest: Saturday.
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! Bit late today cos I actually spent the day in the office rather than 'working' from home.

What: 30 mins swim
    Why: I find even hard swimming easier than running and I had a 5 mile pace run with the club last night
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last easy day: Monday
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    What : 4.6mile easy jog (measured route so I know its 4.6 miles!)
    Why : midweek easy run after last nights session.(4*2km @ 10k pace)
    Last Hard : Tuesday
    Last Rest : Sunday
  • WW, a moment of weakness there, just got on with it and wondered what all the fuss was about at the end.
    Thanks for the thoughts anyway.