poorly knees

can anyone help me. i have been suffering from pain on the inside leg part of my knees (does this make sense?). both of them feel swollen and i cant make it up the stairs so well! (im only 33!)have looked on the websites but still confused by the pain..any ideas??

Comments

• I'm not an expert but you could have damaged one of your quads - I'm just getting over what sounds like a very similar injury myself. The only thing I can stress is don't run until you've seen the doctor. I tried to ignore it and made it a lot worse - keep off the knee until you know what it is because It's been six or seven weeks now that I've not been able to run and it's very frustrating knowing it probably wouldn't have taken so long to heal if I'd listened to my body telling me not to run.

Good luck!
  • How long have you been running?

How many miles a week where you doing before the injury and how many miles a week when the pain started to come on?

How old are your trainers, how many miles on them?

Are you wearing the right trainers for your running style i.e do you know if you badly pronate?

The cause of the injury is more important than the injury itself, knee injuries are often by constant twisting caused by ankle problems...Although the fact that its in both of them makes it sound more like an overtraining/overuse/to much to soon type thing.

Doctors are, in general, utterly shit for diagnosing and giving advice on running injuries - an appointment with an Osteopath is a good bet or a sports Physio.
  • im trying not to run but im doing the nike 10k on nov 28th in london. ive had problems with my knees for about 2 years but sometimes it really flares up-have stopped all the tennis and squash ive been playing-i think thats aggravated it!!! im very bad at not exercising but i know youre right-will try and see a sports doctor
  • Jasonx
    ive been running for about 4/5 months. im on my second pair of trainers after battling with asics 2090's i am now in their kumo with orthotics as before my feet were terrible!!!- i overpronate badly and i was having all sorts of problems with my shins which now seem to have gone...cycled last week and think this has done some damage......
  • squash would definately aggrivate and amplify any knee probs as it a lot of abrupt twisting and turning.

It could be that the origins of the injury developed when you first started out in the initial stages when you where having other probs, and you have never fully given it a chance to heal, so as you up your work rate its just getting worse -but thats just speculation.

Certainly got to be worth an appointment with an Osteo or a sports physio for the £30 or so you will be glad you did.
  • i will try the sports physio... thanks jason x- have to say scary picture
  • Just throwing a snippet in - when I started to use (home-made) orthotics, the inside of my knees began to hurt (rather than the IT band on the outside) - I saw this as being over-tilting of the foot outwards leading to extra strain on the inner knees. It went away due (probably) to a combination of reducing the orthotic and generally getting used to it. Use this info how you will!
  • my orthotics have been made for me but knee problem seems worse since using them - not sure whether just coincidnece as the orthotics have eradicated all my other problems!!!!
  • Interesting thread for me this -been contributing to the plantar f thread..which has largely gone thanks to Orthaheel sports insoles. Trouble is my knees get sore -on the insides now. Debating whether to persist or try ditching them for a bit, when no doubt the pf will return more severely. I think it's just a case of getting used to them -well hopefully.
  • just ran 6 miles and although knees started off hurting they got better so we'll see what happens-interesting that we both have pain in the same place using orthotics
  • I was talking to a chum Dougie Tobutt (Tobutt Sports in Bolton) who's done 94 marathons so far (!) and he takes the view that the body will take a while to adjust to orthotics as it's spent years adapting to whatever imperfections you have (like the right arch collapsing bit by bit). I will persist for a while with them in sports shoes but if no improvement in a few weeks will try without. I've just changed my shoes after 11 months so that might make a difference and think I might have left it too long. Interestingly Dougie says he has tried every shoe going (he sells them) and has settled on Brooks as the top brand. I'm a Kayano fan but might change them next time. He recommneds the Brooks Adrenalin which I know nothing about. As I'm a bit heavy i think 11 months is pushing it.
  • unbelievably, my friend is here with me and bought the brooks adrenalin this afternoon.he just ran 6 miles with me and loves them and belive me he tried on a lot of pairs!!!!..he is tall and weighs 13.5 stone...
  • Um... I run in Adrenalins too (and am tall and 13st). Very fond of them.

Mind you, I am always injured.......
  • are those your legs?
  • Yep, and aren't they gorgeous? ;-)

Keen students of the running shoe will spot that I'm in Saucony Stabils. Old pic.
  • nice legs indeed.keen students should be sad knowing that info...
  • That's the Christmas present sorted. Another pair of shoes as standby/backup/next pair. I'll try Brooks Adrenalin first then !
  • Tennis last night and 56 min run this morning and knees aching now. Went out on/off road today in my new Kayanos which I've had on standby for 3 months or so. Big difference -felt like running on carpet again. 11 months was too long a time for the old pair bearing in mind I'm fairly heavy -we shouldn't underestimate the importance of a shoe-change at the right time.
  • i was finding that doing the tennis and running was too much for my knees.....cant believe you waited so long with your shoes!!!!!!
  • I've always suffered from pains in my right knee yet my left never gives me any problems. I've been to the doctors several times but they just tell me to rest for a few weeks. Even when I rest for a couple of weeks the pain starts up again as soon as I pop the running shoes back on. A few months ago I arranged to see a physio who took a couple of x-rays and within minutes diagnosed something called patella-femur irritability, (in simple terms, the kneecap moves around too much and rubs against the femur bone). Apparently it's quite common. He's given me some tape to strap the kneecap up with and I've never felt it since. Magic

The downside to this is I look a bit of a tool and I've now got shin splints.
  • matt, when you tape how do you do it.ive taped and it definitely helps....but not sure best way to tape...
    ps do you not think its a good look, lots of tape all over your knees?
    pps it hurts like hell when you pull it off even with shaved legs!!! (being a girl obviously)
  • pps the shin splints went with orthotics!!! which maybe are causing the knee problems. as they said in the running shop yesterday- if you shift pain from one area, it usually goes somewhere else!!!
  • I think you can buy some sort of devices which supports the kneecap -seems to sit just under it -some tennis players use them. When I've rested a few days I might go back to a shallower foot support (like superfeet) which were serving me reasonably well before and leave orthaheel sport for tennis. I'd rather have a moderately sore heel than the knees !
  • isnt exercise supposed to be good for you-reading these forums, ive never seen such a group of injured people!! will look for device
  • Sawshark: How to tape the knee? Stand up and elevate your injured leg. Make sure the kneecap is relaxed so it can be pushed from side to side. Shave the kneecap and surrounding area (hence looking like a total muppet especially if youre a bloke). The tape only needs to cover the kneecap itself and perhaps an inch or two either side. The idea is to stick the tape on the outerside of your kneecap dragging the kneecap as far over as it will go as you pull the tape across your knee. The idea is to push the kneecap into the correct position and restrict movement as you run, hence no clashing with other bones. It's worked a treat for me, but I guess it will only work for you if you have the same problem as me.

Ps, Do you look like your pic?
  • i dont understand-can you do it for me---actually im pretty hot.haha..and not actually a real shark...and anyway...at least i have a picture mr jackson.....
    i will read your email again and see if i can decipher
  • Believe it or not, that is an actual picture of me. It was taken during the last eclipse. I'm not too sure where the writing came from tho.

The tape things easy. What are you doing woman? Stick it to your leg an inch or so to the outside of your kneecap and pull it across the kneecap itself. The tape will pull the kneecap as far as it will go to the opposite side of your leg and will restrict movement when you run/walk etc.

Actually I've just read my own instructions and I think you might be onto something. I don't understand them myself. Good job i'm not a physio
  • man, they make them mean in west yorkshire...oh and i just got the joke about the picture...you'd be a crap physio
  • too far for me to come for a personal strapping
  • I dont know about that.

To be honest you might not have another option if ya cant do it yourself