Sussex Beacon Half-Marathon

Comments

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Got mine today as well, looking forward to a weekend back in brighton!
  • we are staying Worthing short drive to start from there
  • Decided to enter yesterday and got number and chip today - have added name to list

slowly worm - just to get round before everyone else goes home…
    Little Nemo - sub 2:40
    Shirley 2hrs 30
    Josie Jump 11 min mileing all the way
    gritech - 2h 18m
    CC - Sub 2.00 please :)
    Mad - Sub 2.00
    Dips - sub 2.00
    Petal - 2hrs
    Normski - sub 2.00
    Pompey Jon - sub 2:00
    Jonnyjsk - sub 2 hours
    Primetime - sub 2 hours
    Jose - Sub 1.50
    Fat Buddha - 1:50
    Stevie C - Sub 1.50
    DG- sub 1.45 ( Please note being ridiculously ambitious here- have now emtered the realms of fantasy)
    Marmotte - sub 1.45
    Shiva - sub 1'40
    SusieBee - 1:32
    Fozzy1 - 1:29:59
    jimbo - hopefully 1.45
    3:30 OR Bust Hayes and Harlington, orange abd blue quarter vest
  • did c.10 miles of the course today-just hope that wind/sleet isn't around next week....
  • Didn't mind the rain/sleet - but the bl**dy wind - if it's like that next week will have to wear extra large vest to use as a "sail"
  • too right sw. for the first five miles i wondered what i was worrying about-then i turned round at rottingdean into the wind and had to be posted through my letter box 50 minute later, a sad shadow of my former self. need to find someone VERY wide to run behind....
  • Anyone from London going down to do this one.
    Looking for a lift down.
    Please drop me an e mail.
  • Still of with calf injury and suspected shin splints. May have to sacrifice this race to build some fitness for FLM. Will make final decision by Friday, and on advice from physio
  • Physio booked for 10 am on Saturday. Nothing like cutting it fine re decision to race or not!
    Feeling improvement each day anyway, but it will be good to get some professional guidance. If I DO race, the hoped for 'sub 2 hours' will no doubt not happen. Shame, but having to look at the bigger picture.
    Hope you all are well, and getting itchy feet
  • Got my number through - 2307

I thought as an added spur, I'd add my name to the list...

Shirley 2hrs 30
    gritech - 2h 18m
    Mad - Sub 2.00
    Dips - sub 2.00
    Petal - 2hrs
    Normski - sub 2.00
    Jonnyjsk - sub 2 hours
    Primetime - sub 2 hours
    Jose - Sub 1.50
    Stevie C - Sub 1.50
    Joggers Nipple - Sub 1.45 (fingers X'd)
    DG- sub 1.45 ( Please note being ridiculously ambitious here- have now emtered the realms of fantasy)
    Marmotte - sub 1.45
    Shiva - sub 1'40
    jimbo - hopefully 1.45
  • FYI for anyone getting the train down from London. It looks as though there's going to be engineering works on Sunday and you have to get a bus from 3 Bridges. So remember to check you've allowed enough time for the journey!
    :-)
  • Hello All!! Thought I'd join in. Got my race number and chip at the end of last week. I love Brighton, so looking forward to my daytrip! Have added my predicted time to the list. I ain't the fastest runner in the world, but if I manage anything below 2:15 it will be a new PB, and I might even treat myself to a gooey Frappacino thing from Starbucks afterwards. Motivation, if ever I heard of it...

Shirley 2hrs 30
    gritech - 2h 18m
    Grubbysoles - 2:08
    Mad - Sub 2.00
    Dips - sub 2.00
    Petal - 2hrs
    Normski - sub 2.00
    Jonnyjsk - sub 2 hours
    Primetime - sub 2 hours
    Jose - Sub 1.50
    Stevie C - Sub 1.50
    Joggers Nipple - Sub 1.45 (fingers X'd)
    Marmotte - sub 1.45
    Shiva - sub 1'40
    jimbo - hopefully 1.45

• Little Nemo thanks for the info. And good luck in FLM. I will be placed at around 23m. If there is any instant hit food you would like, I'd be happy to provide. (I dished out mounds of Jelly babies last year -5 bags all went!).

Does anyone know the best way to get to the start from London by public transport? Now that there are bus replacements?

Is the start line close to where the station/bus drop off is? If so, I may risk a late train rather than get there at a crazily early time/

NN
  • Cheers Nosh Noshter! The bus should end up at Brighton train station. This is about 1 mile or so from the start of the race. There's a map included in the info pack that shows the route. Might be best to catch that earlier train - just in case!
  • Quite easy to get from the station to the prom/start, but do leave time....you know what Sunday transport can be like at the best of times!

Why not come down for the weekend!!??

N, go easy!
  • Having to re-evaluate plans due to recent injury, so wont be there on Sunday. Also, can anyone reccomend a shorter alternative to the Worthing 20? Will study event guide in RW.
    If the weather is like today on Sunday,it'll be fab for you guys. Have a good one.
  • N, why do you have a gentle jog along and do a bit of supporting...a smily cheer is worth its weight in gold.
  • Have reassessed my pessimism and may try for around 2 hrs.....when you lot who suggested meeting say sub 2 hrs, how 'sub' is 'sub'?

BTW NN, if you're going to be on a bus anyway at some point, the national express coach drops you off about 2 minutes walk from madeira drive-not sure of the times, but if you book on line you can sometimes get a ticket for a quid each way.
  • I remember this from last year - oh how I suffered. Had flu, started too quick and that bit along the cliffs nearly killed me.
    Want to enjoy it this year - touch wood. Hopefully around 1.45.
    Good luck to everyone..
  • N, I agree with Dips if you are not doing anything else come along and say hi to people you have obviously done a fair bit of training with.

Why not arrange a meeting point just before the race as previously suggested?

Weather looks cheery for the weekend, 20 mph wind from NW and about 3 degrees!!
  • Sloworm many thanks! Will look into it.

Dips. Thank you too. Will look into an overnighter too. Is anyone else staying the night before?

Best of luck to all. Will be keeping an eye out for you. and will post my number up tomorrow.

(I'll be wearing a bright yellow nike nocturnal top if anyone wants to say hi!)

Come on tail wind!!!!!
  • Marmotte - think we should meet at the Concorde 2 like you said ( everyone welcome)- what time would suit people -

I haven't entered properly yet - but says you can enter on the day - so i'm going to chance it - will hopefully have my speed /distance hrm by then - so will lokk forward to trying it out.

• Whoops - think I've got a bit of a problem now - sight now says no entry on the day !!-guess that means I'll have to watch from the sidelines .( unless anyone has any bright ideas)
    My own fault for leaving it late :(
  • DG, you might be able to still enter, just no on the day. A running colleague entered a couple of days ago

Suggest you gice the Beacon a ring asap.

• Dips are you running with any other sub 2's?
  • Thanks Dips -rang Sussex beacon - they said if I fax through the entry form I should be o.k - so doing that tomorrow - fingers x.
  • Roll up,roll up! Put your orders in here for The Shoreham Coasters Cafe between mile 10 and 11. What'll it be madam? Bacon'n'eggs, porridge, skinny latte? Seriously, Im happy to provide some goodies to spur you guys on - Skittles for Di, Jelly Babys, whatever!
  • Can I request some Jelly Babies please? I'll be runner 1181 and should make it to the 10 mile point in around 2 hours. This will be the furthest I've ever run so a reward will be just what I need!

Many thanks :-)
  • Will need to replentish my JB stores at around that point as well ;o)

Cheers