Options

Pace calculator

2»

Comments

• Options
    how do Yassos work with half marathons.
    do you run for half the time or do you run only half the repetitions
  • Options
    I would still do the 800m but split the time to equate it to a half marathon.
    I think if you only ran 400m you would go far too quick, however, I can do 400m in 1.30 minutes which is my half marathon time, so now I'm confusing myself!!!!!
    BLD
  • Options
    Does this feature still work. I press calculate after putting in the required information and nothing happens!
  • Options
    For the speed work, try going to a track. I was amazed how much faster I can run on a track, when I cannot the see highway stretching out before me. the payback is that later, in road races, you know what running fast feels like, and you can drag it out of yourself. A lot of this is traning the mind as much as the body.
  • Options
    I tried 'Heart Rate Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot' and I got slower !
    It was embarrassing for the first couple of weeks but could soon do the 70% runs easy enough. Looking back at my race times for that year though they've been the slowest of my running career.

These days I just tend to do mostly run hard and take days off rather than doing equal amounts of slow runs. I occasionally do slow runs with friends or do long runs at a more leisurely pace. Since I've adopted this strategy my race times have improved a bit. And the great thing is that you don't need to run with that damn contraption on !
  • Options
    I have Internet Explorer 6 and just can't get this calculator to work.... Can anyone brainy help?
  • Options
    Give us a clue, what happens? The calculator needs javascript to work, and anyone sensible disables javascript. Have you?
  • Options
    Foo Bar cheers for replying so quick - don't laugh but I put the minutes in the hours - no wonder it never worked!
  • Options
    All a load of tosh. Enjoy the run. Speed training is for racing. Leave the 'fun' running to the citizen & mileage wallers. Enjoy your training. Some runs will be quick. Some club runs will be very quick. More than sufficient for most of us to run a marathon.
  • Options
    P'raps I'm missing something re RW Training Calculator. I entered 10km in 50:11. No data requested re age, fitness level, height,weight, experience etc. Out came a list of training pace rates.

I'm an ex-Para aged 60, and hav'nt run like this (trainers etc) for 40 years, until the above race.

How can the training paces apply to both me and an over-weight 30-year-old who might achieve the same result ?? Are they suggestions for how I can maintain my current level of performance, or to achieve some future unspecified goal ?

• Options
    I think it's fair for the calculator to assume that if yourself and, as in your example an overweight 30yr old can both complete a 10k in the same time, then by definition you must be of similar ability?

Like you though, i'm puzzled as to whether these training paces are to maintain this fitness/performance level or to improve it... I would assume it very much depends on your training schedule and distances!I intend to follow these paces and following my next race I shall enter the time from that to give revised training paces.

This is the first time i've looked properly at this calculator, my runs are always above my easy/long run pace, but then that would explain why I seem to suffer with tight muscles and tender shins so much!! It's certainly something i'll be using when following RW training schedules in future.
  • Options
    Just caught this article and am wondering if anyone who posted originally tried it and improved with it. I've been a 'beginner' for a few years and can't seem to improve past a 14 minute 5k(!) Had the same experience as Sam Panther with HRM training but I am desperate to find a new way of training because at the moment I'm going backwards. I knew I was training too fast, unfortunately this calculator would have me doing my slow runs at a slower pace than I usually walk!
  • Options
    As a 'new' (but old) runner with a scientific background, I spent much time poring over Trg Pace Calculator and reading "How to run a half marathon far faster than you ought"-type articles in RW etc ! I have come to the conclusion that they are all ways of concentrating the mind and giving you different ways of thinking about running, but what you actually DO is much more of an individual/ 'mix and match' approach. Same applies to HRMs and pre- and post-race diets.
    Joining a running club is good, because they tend to run too far, too fast and run up hills (!), none of which seems to make much sense initially, but at least you have company.
    I do 'speed form runs' (?=interval running ) around an old 440 yard track fortnightly :440, 880, 1mi, 1mi, 880,440, each run at max speed with the same distance run as recovery jogging afterwards, with warm-up and cool-down also. 30 laps is a little boring, but the different levels of pain introduce variety...
    I do 8-11 mi 'long runs' at a pace (about 9:15 min/mi) where I can look around and enjoy the scenery - the Pace Calc suggested 9:51-11:06, at which speed I found that my running became disjointed - almost a series of bounds - which caused back and knee pain !
    I do the local 10 km route weekly, and use the time (and those of the 440 yard multiples) to assess progress. If I'm doing 2 10 km laps as HM trg, I clock the first lap separately.
    With the above regime, (reduced when I run with the local Club), I achieved the following improvements up to hamstring injury in early June 06 :
    10km Best time before race 54:45
    Race, Dec 05 50:11
    Best lone-run to date 48:20
    440 Feb 1:35 - best to date 1:22
    880 " 3:50 - " 3:16
    1 mi " 7:30 - " 7:01
    The times are'nt bad for a baldy old 60-year-old, and the extent of change (improvement) must be due to the trg regime.

• Options
    Hello Cliff

I suppose what you are saying is that I could gain from trying the Pace calculator times but that I should tweak them until they feel right for me. Obviously running so slowly that it feels weird and uncomfortable can't be right.

Up to now I've done most of my running at a pace that feels right and added a minute to the time I've been running every week (plus some fartlek of my own devising!) But I've been doing this for a few years and can't progress from a 41 minute 5k.(By the way I just noticed I typed 5k instead of mile in my post, Hah!?) I'd like to be able to run a 10k race but won't attempt it until I can do it in a less embarrasing time than I can now.

• Options
    Hi Kathryn, I too find the long runs v slow at my predicted slow run time.

But..I also do endurance horse riding and it makes sense compared with the training I do for that. I would never dream of flogging the nag on a long ride by going at a fast canter all the time. I know he would end up lame.

We do walk trot mixes, stay cools and relaxed and have a nice day out. On short rides we add canter and go at faster trots with much much less walking, he get revved up and loves it; we do what sounds pretty much like what we call interval training in running, 20 walk, 20 trot, 20 canter, 20 trot 20 walk etc. for medium rides. Trick to going slow and long is to achieve the slow run time as an average, which mean a mix of slow running and walking.

I was really surprised when I got a Garmin to find I was on my long runs running further and faster than my riding horse training, which is crazy given that the shortest endurance event is 20 miles.

It really works with my horse, so I now feel more happy that it will work for me too. I now go faster for short, slower for long, and the result is my shin splint has gone and I'm getting faster overall!

Vicki
  • Options
    Hello Vicki

I'm very encouraged that you are getting faster using the v slow long runs. Since I began at the slower paces I've discovered another plus, being able to run longer and keeping my HR rate lower has meant I've found it easier to lose weight which is bound to improve my speed and endurance eventually.

Another ecouraging thing I read recently was an article that mentioned that it's common to reach a plateau in training. So this time I shall keep slogging on with my revised paces and not get disheartened and give up when I don't seem to be improving.

Hearing about your horse training made me smile, it had never occurred to me that horses would train in the same way that people do but I suppose it's obvious really, it's just the terminology that's different!

Kathy
  • Options
    Endorse the recommendation for Parker's Heart rate trainging for idiots. It does explain the various comments above re running slow runs too fast and fast runs too slow. Plus it also adapts to when you are not feeling on top form, which running on a pace calculator does not.

The challenge with Parker is that the 85% of WHR becomes very hard!!!

Plus above all - it is so simple AND effective!
  • Options
    I like Mud Maniac's comments 21.1.06 about enjoying it.

However, measurability seems important to many?

I've only been running for 4 months and did my fist 10k in 48 minutes. I've been training with a GPS pedometer since to work out out tempo pace etc but only just found the Calculator. To be fair, RW's calculator tallied with my novice (but honest!) efforts to date to estbalish tempo, easy etc.

Regards, 'Finding it hard to get back into it after Xmas!

• Options
    Okay, just moving away from the pace discussions - if you do 80% of your training at easy pace and run 5 times a week that means four runs. How then do you do tempo, speed form, yasso 800s etc in your training program?
    Do you only do one per month of these to add to your basic easy paced runs?
  • Options
    Just done an easy paced (using calculator)3.33 miles and it was so easy I wonder how much benefit I will get from it. At times my GARMIN showed me going at Tempo and VO2max pace but I did not feel as though I put much effort in at all.
  • Options
    Neil, Have you customised your Garmin pace settings correctly?  You may need to recalibrate these against the pace settings from the RW calculator. Personally, I don't display them on my Garmin, I just use the min/ml view.
  • Options
    I try to do at least one session a week, I have tried using a short but steep hill where I run up as fast as possible and jog back done, this is quite fun!! The problem I have is when I race and I try to run on my heart rate limit I suffer a sharp pain in the right lower ribs which causes me difficulty in breathing, I have tried eating several hours before a race etc and drinking very minimal amounts but this still happens, I guess I'm not designed to do speed!! If anybody has ideas about my pain I would be interested to hear.
  • Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

This looks really good. I've another small query, instead of tapping in a recent race time, would it be worth putting in a DESIRED race time to see what paces in all categories (easy, tempo etc) I should set myself to get that desired time?

Only reason I ask is I've done 3.07.55 in a marathon, but obviously would love to do Sub 3hr. and was thinking of putting in 3.00.00 in the recent time bit. What do you think??

Thanks,image

Neil.

• Options

Hi Neil,

Hope that you got your sub 3hour marathon time. In my opinion RW Smartcoach will be ideal for putting in the desired time rather than the recent time

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=3057&starf=&lrdy=0&slen=16&trainstart=ds1255355073773&startf=checkforward&hour=0&mins=0&secs=0&rlen=fivk&rdst=fivk&mpwe=11&diff=mod

• Options

Hi All

I have just started  ( last 12 weeks ) 5k runs weekly with some 2 mile training in between, i am having to run close to max hear rate to hit around 32.30, should i slow down and how can i improve ? I am 52, just want to make sure i run at the right pace and improve if i can ?

Many Thanks

Andrew 

• Options
    Am I right in thinking that running a Yasso 800 in 2.45 is equilivant to doing it at a pace of 5.30 Mimutes per mile? 
  • Options
    In relation to the 800's, does it make any difference how far the recovery jogs are? For instance 2min recovery jog after your first 800 could be further than your middle 800 and even further than your final 800.

Does distance matter or is it purely 800 rest no matter how the distance of the recovery job varies though out the session?

Cheers

Lee
  • Options

you sure your're enetering time correctly  - the three boxes are hours, mins then seconds , when i entered my race time of 54 mins 32 secs, i put the 54 in the hours box and nothing came up  lol then i realised the secons box is under them