Taunton Marathon 2005

Comments

• To tell you the truth, I'm hoping to get a GFA place for London next year so that anything sub 3.45 will be fine. Mind you, I'm following most of Hilly's marathon program so I should be up for this one (or dead!)
  • 90 mins - my 10k time is ok too!
  • YL - Glad it's OK, but what is it?

I would like a GFA place as well, but for that I need sub 3:15. Would have to follow hilly for that, not just her schedule!
  • 90 mins - a couple of secs over 40mins but it was a couple of years ago and I doubt I'll get anywhere near it now o)
    Why do you say sub 3:30 is a PW what is your PB?
  • My only marathon time is 3:27:38 from FLM this year, so my next has to be a PB or a PW.

I'm only running with you at Taunton if you promise not to run a 10K to start off with. That is a great 10K time, but how frustrating not to have been a few seconds quicker!

All my PBs & PWs are on my forum details.
  • HMG are you going to do some pub exploring for us, excellent.

A lot of talk of times. I am currently working on my cycling to work times. 10 miles is now down to 39 minutes. Once that is sorted I will then start to include running to / from work. Hey ho I can be tired there.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    A social will be nice, especially as I'll be taking this one easy if I do it!:o)

That's a very good time for a 10 mile cycle Steady!
  • 90 mins
    I really would have liked to have broken 40 mins but hey, I'm not into that really hard stuff that makes you hurt anymore so it will be a case of I'll never know........
    Judging by your performance at Chedar you will be improving on your London time, no doubt about it. Are you following a specific training plan and if so, when are you starting the training?
    I'm going to "get serious" with the miles after I've had a week off at xmas.
  • Hi YL

I believe hydration is very important, so I'll be starting with that at the weekend. I'm off to pay homage at the scene of hilly's marathon triumph (watching Wales V All Blacks) and will ensure good hydration before & afterwards. Fair bit of carbo-loading as well.

After the weekend I'll just put in some gentle steady miles in the lead up to Christmas. Then I'll enter panic mode for organising the First Chance.

After that I'll start training with some sort of plan, probably adapted from what I did last year. As Liz is doing her first marathon (FLM) I doubt if I'll be able to train much more than 4 days a week, so improving on my time may be tricky - and there are hills as well...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    yl-a week off? How can you have a week off when you're racing on Boxing Day?!!

:o)
  • Thanks hilly. I would be quicker but for the traffic lights that seem to default to red on my route in.

First run in a while this morning, One hour in the rain.
  • lol Hilly, I'm planning a week 'Up North' when I have my hosp appointment. Need to do some serious shopping whilst up there too.

90 mins. I'm going to try and get away with a 4 day training plan but there are some beasts of hills within a mile or so of my house so hopefully the dreaded 24 mile 'mile' won't be such a killer.
    Hope you enjoy the carbo loading, oh and the game.

Way to go Steady, you must be committed to do your first 10 in the rain!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Ah, I'd forgot about that.

Was too tired to get up for my run this morning, will have to go this evening now.
  • Thinking about Taunton, would like to do 5/6 days a week and aim for 50 mpw. No time target yet.

First run since Saturday - been shaking off a cold - due for later today an easy 6 miler.

• Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum so expect a few mistakes. Have been reading this thread and as I am thinking about the Taunton Half Marathon as my first HM I thought I'd try here for some inspiration and encouragement.
  • Hi LW, welcome to the thread. Taunton has a good course and a great atmosphere for a first-time half marathon. What sort of training are you doing at the moment?
  • Training.... mainly 5 - 6 mile runs on-road, but gradually increasing the mileage on Sundays except when my personal trainer has more importantant things like races to do. Did a really nice run at Cheddar last week while he was doing the half marathon.
  • Re above: for personal trainer read long-suffering husband who's had his name, sex and running ability changed so I can write on this forum. Does everyone go home early on Fridays?
  • LW Welcome to the thread.
    I too did Cheddar and really enjoyed it. If you didn't do the half what did you do?

Peter
    I'm also buliding up to 50 miles a week (first one this week) and hoping to get sub 3;30 off it.
    Have you run a marathon before?
  • YL

Yes I did Cardiff in October 2004 and ran 3:08. That was off an average of 40 miles so am trying to up the mileage and do 3:05 ish at Taunton. Would love to get into shape to run sub 3 hr in Cardiff in 2005 as a first time vet - yes I will be at that funny man age of 40!.

I've only run 50+ mpw once, and for Taunton will probably go for 5 sessions:

1 long run
    Another run of 12 miles
    2 tempo sessions
    1 sprint session

Looking to build upto 50 mpw sometime in February and then keep it there? What about your plans?
  • Peter-It sounds like we have very simular targets.My main aim for next year is a sub 3hr at Cardiff but will be looking at sub 3:10 at Taunton.
    The mileage is getting higher slowly and i should be able to do my first ever 50 this week.

I also get out about 5 times a week.

What are you half times?I did 4 this year(3 in 1:25 and 1 being 1:26.

Last year i did Flm in 3:28 coming off of a 1:27 half but was only avg 30 per week at the time.
  • LLL

My times are now similar to yours. I started 2004 with half marathon times of around 1:33 but with regular training have dropped a lot through 2004.

I've run 10 half marathons in 2004 and the breakdown is:
    1:23 * 2 (Seaton and Cheddar)
    1:26 * 2 (Taunton and Plymouth)
    1:28 (Launceston - probably my best run of the year)
    1:29 (Bideford)
    1:30 (Indian Queens)
    1:31 (Saltash - hardest half of the year)
    1:32 (Dartmoor)

Your times are very good for 30 mpw training - you will also find as the mileage increases your times will fall as you get faster.

YL

I lied - my running record says 50 mps+ 4 times, generally in August/ Sept.
  • Hi Peter
    my plans for Taunton will probably include 5 days a week building off 50 miles base.
    I'll be doing anything from 16-20 on Sunday
    12-16 mid week
    1*speed (most probably track 400's)
    2*recovery runs

The most mileage previous to this is when I did 1 week of 60 miles to get a 3;25 at FLM a few years ago.

I would love to see what time I could really achieve but don't have the time or inclination to put in heavy mileage. I have a pb of 67mins for 10 miles so in theory could get a decent marathon time but all the training is too scarey!

I was also at Seaton and Cheddar. Just came back into rnnning at Seaton and ran 1:38. Ran Cheddar and got 1:32 so well chuffed.
  • YL

Your right finding the time can be hard. I'll hopefully be able to join a running club shortly so that should make the training easier and better.

Luckily, I work from home half the week and there are some wonderful runs, close to home / to my childrens school.
  • YL, either am commmitted or need comitting not sure what. My cycling ended up at 80 miles this week, some in -1C and snow.

4 days off next week and time to start clocking up those running miles.
  • I managed an 18 miler today, very slow and steady but who cares, it's time on feet isn't it ;-)
    Pleased to have clocked up 52 miles this week but looking forward to doing less next week. Will be running Hayling 10 on Sunday so want to give myself a half decent chance of doing well.

You are fortunate working some time from home Peter, at least you can choose your breaks and slot in the runs when the weather is still nice and it's daylight.

Steady, well done on the cycling, that's something I don't seem to be able to do. It hurts my knees for some reason. Good luck with the mileage next week.
  • Peter, you are lucky being able to work from home. At least you can choose your running times and not have to run in the dark and cold.
    Join the running club, it's great for a bit of 'friendly' competition and company.

Respect to you Steady, I can't seem to be able to get on with cycling, it makes my knees hurt for some reason.

Have managed to clock up 52 miles this week so feeling pleased. Next week will be a little easier as I'm running Hayling 10 and want to be reasonably fit and refreshed to try for sub 70
  • don't blink - there are 2 messages from me. The first one didn't post so I wrote it again and now I have two!!!!!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Strange things happen on these forums yl!:o)