Taunton Marathon 2005

Comments

• I'm sure I've missed it on this thread, but how strict are they on this cut-off of 4.5 hours?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I can't do sub 4.30, I've run this race at least 5 times. They start to dismantle the finish shortly after 4.30 but someone is there with your medal and t-shirt at the finish.
    What time do you think you'd do?
  • Shades - Mmmmm, best make it 90p a week, cos then I may be able to afford a pint!! Cup of coffee indeed!! ;-)

Nick P - sorry, not sure, but when I have done a half mara in the past, where a full mara was also going on, they made people who reached the half mara point after a certain time finish there instead of allowing them to continue. I'm sure no one would let you get as far as mile 20 or something and say "tough luck too slow, you'll have to stop now" (but hopefully not in so many words!!). Am sure that as long as you get half way by 2:15 you'll be ok. Like a say though, I dont actually KNOW I'm just guessing really. Well that's what I would do if I were a race organiser. I do go on a bit eh!!
  • Thanks for the replys Caz and Shades. My last 3 marathons have been the Shakespeare and I managed times of 4.30, 4.06 and 4.24ish. That has a hill that's run twice, but I'm not sure how the Taunton one compares. I think i'll probably choose between this one and the Halstead marathon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - No problem for you. Taunton don't check your time at halfway, with your times you'll have quite a few peeps behind you.

I think I said this before, but I don't remember a hill at Stratford. I do however remember the hill at Taunton, but lovely downhill and flat to the finish after the hill (on 2nd lap)
  • What is the date of Taunton this year??

• the Sunday after Easter . . 3rd of April . .

amusing how once a race is done, it was "last year" regardless of where we are on the calendar . . and the next time that the event is held is "this year" . .

Shades, Caz . . I e-mailed John last night . . once I have a reply I'll be back :)
  • Sub 3 hr at Taunton Muzza?

• Had a reply from John, the Taunton Marathon and Half organiser . .

Entry fees are £8 for the Half and £9 for the full Marathon, plus £1 if unaffiliated.

Don't forget, no entries on the day.

Also, John sent me an entry form . . so if anybody wants one, just e-mail me and I'll mail it back to you . .
  • If anyone's interested, I've received the following info. from the race organisor re. the cut-off time:
    The cut-off has operated for 20 years without too many problems. It is official and enforced in that anyone finishing outside that time does not appear in the official results sheet. We have never stopped anyone finishing and Referee, Timekeeper and Finish Marshals have been known to wait for up to 30 minutes beyond the cut-off. Unofficially it has been known for those finishing outside still to receive their mementoes.

We have a cut-off at the request of the Police, and some of the volunteer helpers, who do not want the event to go on and on for hours with 5.30, 6.00 etc people. It is not that their efforts are sniffed at, but we have to prevent the event becoming a sponsored 26 mile walk!

Nick
  • Oh well Hippo, it will still be one more marathon on the way to your 100th.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It is 'last year' to me. since I've been working on the directory I'm into 2005 mode. Even input some stuff at work with the date 2005, had to flippin' correct that.

Are you doing this then Hippo? I've never appeared in the results (one of my goals!) but get my medal & t-shirt.
  • Santa, er... I mean Richk - thanks for the info!! £9, bargain compared to Dublin!!
  • Ouch Ouch,

No sub 3 for me 4 a while m8! had a op on the big toe joint 5 weeks ago, cant run till feb, Doing Barcelona marathon 20th march, then FLM, may do the 1/2 at Taunton and if I do the marathon at Taunton it will be more like 3:30.

Fed up with swimming and cycling already, roll on feb! cant come soon enough.
  • Tut tut ! RC

fancy saying you kinda lost me at 13 miles, after i caught you back up by around mile 20, then again you did pull away after that :)
    Albeit that was my (unlucky) 13th marathon of the year, and my 8th mara in the space of 9 weeks, but if you're prepared to 'throw down the gauntlet' then i accept :)

And you shouldn't entice poor old Richk into pushing himself to such limitations of sub 3:30 at Taunton either :) (he's getting on a bit now)

Race on then, RC ?

Muzza,
    i know the feeling, i'm fed up of saddle sores too !
  • ps. Caz, sorry, haven't received an email from you regarding this race, i truly believe that once you get injured and drop from the 'scene' the running fraternity forgets you ever existed :(

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hope the injury is healing FA! You have to keep posting even when injured, it helps to make the time go faster until you're back on the road again:o)
  • thanks hilly, its getting better slowly, but no rinning as yet.
    very rare i get opportunity to post these days, not enough hours in a day :)
  • ANT!! - I did e-mail you either late last week or early this week!! I also sent it to RMG and she got hers!?!?! You were one of the first people I thought of and haven't forgotten you at all so don't do that feeling sorry for yourself thing!! Anyway, works both ways mate....now you are injured, you're not interested in how us running types are doing. You haven't e-mailed me at all!! ;-)

I'm not throwing down a gauntlet though. Far from it!! This one will be more challanging than Dublin and I would just like to get the same kind of time. Perhaps slightly improve if I can avoid a toilet stop!!

As for 'losing you at mile 13', I did really. From then on Barry and I ran together and although you were around, you weren't really running with us, and that is what I meant when I made that comment to RichK. Mile 20 meeting was only cos of me toilet stop!! Hopefully though, we can put all that right at this one!! I'm not after sub 3:30 so Rich is safe. Will you be up and at it by then and would you like to accompany us too?

Nice to hear from you again my Dublin friend!!
  • Great Pic caz
    Hi Ant!

This is one mara i wont be doing
  • Hello Hippo - Thanks! Courtesy of good old DK Brian. It's from Suicide 6. How come you didn't do that one? Why is this one a no-no?
  • Caz
    im too slow
    also, the post on the previous page about a sponsored 26 mile walk didnt go down too well with ole ploddin hippo

I didnt do suicide cos this hippo doesnt like mud!

• Blimey Ant, that's told you ;-)

I've got the Duchy Marathon on March 13th, Hogweed Hilly Half on March 20th and I'll probably do a shorter race at Easter and then we're at Taunton . .

So I'll wait and see how I get on there before committing myself to 3.30 ;-)

It might be a possibility though . .

I've sent out 6 entry forms now - I knew I should have charged for them - could have covered my entry fee LOL
  • I presume one was for me Rich. Will check my mail now. Cheers in advance. I'll buy you a pint after either Millenium runs on or this one, depending on how long it takes me to financially recover from Christmas. ;-)
  • Hi Hipps :) Hope you're keeping well .

Hi Caz, sorry, defo no email :(
    This race is a little more challenging than Dublin, 2nd lap is mentally tough too. Wouldn't like to state a time this early as i ain't back to running as of yet. Just trying to avoid the usual 'xmas over-indulging'

Yeah Rich, she can be a bit fiery... the short, blonde one's usually are m8 :)
  • Caz, you have mail.......
    you must have forgotten to put a stamp on mine :)
  • Ok Mr Ant - you SHOULD have mail!! In fact, you SHOULD have two lots. The first being a reply to your e-mail and the second has an attachment which is returned undelivered mail I found in my deleted folder of inbox. You're right, I must have forgotten to put a stamp on ;-). Hope you get these and that they aren't returned AGAIN.

Richk - thanks for the application form. Altough I'm not going to do anything with it quite yet!! Am a bit concerned that the bumph you sent says a 'momento'. I'm afraid that being the materialistic medal collector I am, there is no way I am going to do a MARATHON and not get a hunk of metal at the end. Does anyone know for sure what you get? It says a medal on the events listings!?!?!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    FA-glad things are improving and I'm sure you'll be back running soon!

Hippo-I'm sure YL didn't mean to cause offence with her comment on the 26 mile walk!

I've decided not to do this one now as it's just too close to FLM and doing it as a training run just isn't me!