Options

Weekend racing....weekday training

Like lots of people, I am curently entering races each weekend, usually a half marathon. I would like to continue doing this, but am not sure of a suitable training programme for during the week. Until now, I had followed lengthy training schedules leading up to a race, which tapered down as the race approached. Any ideas for a programme which allows me to race each weekend??

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Jack-I don't know of an actual schedule that includes weekly races. However, I would think of something along the lines of:
    Sunday-race
    Monday-rest
    Tuesday-steady run
    Wednesday-longer run
    Thursday-speed session
    Friday-rest
    Saturday-short run or rest.
    This is the sort of training I do when racing regular at weekends, obviously the distances depends on your own running. When racing regularly I think you'll find there are times when you will be running on tired legs. It can't be helped. So I would try to have at least a weekend off from racing every 6 weeks.

Good luck with your plans.
  • Options
    When racing regularly you can't peak for every race - if you do you miss out on too much training. I would suggest that for you train as normal for most races and only taper down for important events.
  • Options
    Many thanks for the advice. Its much appreciated and is on the same lines as I was thinking. Its odd that the running magazines only seem to provide schedules aimed at one-off races, when I guess most of their readers race on a regular basis.

Jack.
  • Options
    Jack, be very carefull! Your muscular skelaton can only take so much. You might be all for a year or 3 but after a while there's a good chance of tissue break down. This is why you won't find any/many scheduals that include race after race week after week.
    Good luck.