Options

Why by time and not by miles

I have justed started running again and while not slow (about 11k/hour) I am not fast either.

My training plan says to do a particular mileage so I do it. Why should I be running by time, doesn't that discourage trying to get faster? Currently doing between 16-20 miles a week.

Comments

• Options
    I think, as it says in teh article, if you run by time you are not trying to do the same route in a quicker time each time you go out.

My plan is in distances, so I convert those to times, knowing my average plodding pace and go out for half the time and then back.

And 11 km/hr is a lot quicker than me!!
  • Options
    My route is treadmill unfortunately!!! Except for my long runs at weekends. Does anybody have any opinions about treadmills? I always feel like a bit of a fake runner.
  • Options
    Easier to measure speed. Easier to increase/reduce speed so very good for speed/interval training. Easier to run at a constant pace. Softer surface so better for knees, hips, ankles etc.

One tip for you though. If you run on a treadmill set the incline to 1.0 to replicate the wind resistance you'd get running outside
  • Options
    Thank you to you both, very useful. I already set it to one so feel a bit more "authentic"!
  • Options
    Also time is just easier to measure! If like me you vary where you go almost each time you run.
  • Options
    Hi to everyone. This is my first time on the forum and have been reading all the tips from you all - most helpful. My question is - why does everything hurt so much when I first set out on my runs? Ankles, legs, arms everything aches, gasping for air etc until I've done a mile or so when it all settles down and I feel OK. Am I doing something wrong or does everyone feel like this?
  • Options
    Maybe you are going too fast.. or maybe it's because you haven't warmed up yet (if you're fine after a mile or so).

Have you thought about maybe starting off with a 5 minute fast walk to warm up?

Laura
  • Options
    You could well be right Laura although I do lots of stretching I do tend to start running as soon as I turn out of my gate. Will try the 5 minute fast walk and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the tip. By the way, I use the term "running" loosely as I only plod along at about six miles an hour - all the other runners in the area seem to whizz past me at great speed!
  • Options
    I think six miles per hour is quite fast.. I don't actually know how fast I run as I do my continuous runs around parks (it's too hard to measure).. the only thing I will say though is the 5 min walk warm up is quite hard when it's cold.

Weirdly enough, I find the first fewm minutes running after setting off the easiest. The middle is often the hardest, then I get a second wind. How far do you run?

Laura

• Options
    Hello,

I wrote a reply to this, but somehow it's not appeared. The basis of it was that I agree with what you're saying - but I don't think it's entirely the same for everyone. I find the first section of my run the easiest.. plus, I run for 20 minutes, so if I used the first 10 minutes as a warm up, there wouldn't really be much left! However, I think GO's problem is related to not being warmed up, yes. How far are you running?

Laura
  • Options
    It appeared this time :-)
  • Options
    Lots of helpful advice - thank you. Am currently doing 5-6 miles every other day but can only run after work so being so dark it limits the places i can run. Have only just started back running having had a rest following the Dublin Marathon so have not yet got the long weekend runs in but weather permitting will try on Sunday to go a bit longer.

Once I get over the initial struggling on a good day I can just plod along for ages. I find it also helps clear the head as I don't actually think about anything at all whilst running - or at lease anything sensible that is - and if I start to get tired I count from 1 to 100 over and over as I find it focuses the mind and blots out any feeling of tiredness - what do others think about when running?
  • Options
    I actually get really bored and want to stop on 'longer' runs (I say longer, but probably still what some people think are very short). I enjoy running for 15 minutes, but after that want to stop, and start thinking about wanting to stop! However, with any kind of session that isn't a continuous run (e.g. 300m reps on grass) I don't have this problem at all, and have to try to stop myself doing more than is probably necessary. I find it's worse if I'm running out and back as opposed to a circular route.

It being dark is a nightmare.. (can't run off-road)

How was the Dublin Marathon? Hope it went well.

What's the longest run (in terms of hours/minutes) you've done?

Laura
  • Options
    I find running on grass really difficult - so much hard work!

Dublin was OK - cold and very windy but most enjoyable despite suffering a calf injury at about 2 miles when a spectator stepped out in front of me and I had to do a sudden swerve to avoid him - and stubbed my toe - ouch!! Time was not too bad - a little over 5 hours but wanted to do better.

Longest training run is about 2 hours
  • Options
    I like running on grass.. running on the road I tend to feel my feet banging down a lot more.. on the grass I feel more like I'm prancing!

I can't imagine running for 5 hours. Actually, I can - but it's more likely to be in one of my nightmares than a daydream! Why did someone step out in front of you? That's bad.
  • Options
    A couple of people mentioned problems with short dayligfht hours. I run in the dark all the time except weekends at this time of year - it's not impossible, and actually rather fun if you have the right gear.

I use a Petzl Zoom headtorch at the moment. On trails with absolutely no artificial light, and with tree cover, it's barely adequate. I'd prefer a more powerful one like a Silva or something. When there's snow on the ground (like now) it's a lot lighter.

It's very tranquil running in darkness. On an easy run you have time to look at the stars, and there is never a whippet racing past you. Plus you get loads of mental brownie points for being out at all.
  • Options
    It's scary though, around city parks (especially certain ones!)
  • Options
    Unfortunately the Dublin Marathon is not as well organised as London and although most of the spectators stand out of the way you do get one or two that just wander around all over the place and if they want to cross the road at any time then they do - regardless of runners - so you have to dodge round them! After three or four miles the spectators thin out to little pockets of people every so often. Coming back into the City is better - at least there are barriers up. Also they don't close all the roads off so at times you are running alongside the traffic - nice dose of carbon monoxide/diesel fumes!!

I like running in the dark -no one can see my red face - but it's OK for you men - us women have to be a little careful unfortunately.
  • Options
    I take the point, but I think the risks must be quite low. First, you're clearly not carrying a handbag or heavy wallet, so the risks of mugging almost disappear. If you're running past, any sexual attacker first has to catch you! You probably wouldn't attract opportunist attention bundled up, with a headtorch. If it were a bright one, it might be hard just to see what sex you are. Someone who saw you on a regular route might plan, but you would not be an easy target, which might be preferred. On balance I would be inclined to not take a run only if there was a warning specific to time and place. It might be more risky on a lifetime basis NOT running. But that's only MHO and I respect others.
  • Options
    Hi folks

Sorry to butt in on unrelated question but SteveC got me thinking.

I much prefer trail running as it means the dog can be off the lead and we both get a good session. Unfortunately now it's too dark to set off at 6am through the local woods but I hadn't thought of a head torch! Aren't they a bit big and cumbersome (and wobbly?).

Where did you get yours SteveC?

Thanks.
    BL
  • Options
    Hi,

Yeah, that's true and I do agree benefits (of running) outweigh the risks. I haven't found Birmingham to FEEL that unsafe all the time I've been here (5 years).
    However, when you can still run but not alone in the dark, around some city park, then that's what's preferable! Some of them have a lot of youths hanging about, and I hate getting comments shouted (which is what happened specifically every time I went to one of them, in the autumn). I prefer to run along well lit main roads with plenty of cars around and students (although statistically, I don't know how the risk compares). Having said that, the one girl I do know who was raped whilst running was running in the day time.

As far as headtorches go, I've seen one advertised in Bournesports (mail order). You can probably get lightweight ones so I wouldn't have thought they were cumbersome.
  • Options
    listening to radio combats boredom.
    I like the radio anyway, and don't get much time to listen, so 2 or 3 hours listening on a Sunday whilst running is a treat for me!
  • Options
    Good point SteveC about the headtorch - perhaps I was just looking for excuses not to go too far and perhaps the one or two dark spots will make me run faster.
  • Options
    Bootlegger - you asked about headtorches. I actually live in Norway so it wouldn't be much use telling you where I got mine :)

Field and Trek stock the Petzl brand that I use.
    http://www.fieldandtrek.com/brand.asp?cat_id=BRANDEQUI

The Petzl Zoom I feel is (barely) adequate for unlit and totally shaded trails, but that's what I use, for about £20. The one I have has a spare low watt bulb built in. I think it lasts about 90 mins - I'm not sure - I use rechargeable NiMH batteries, three off. They sit in a battery pack at the back of the head, which balances the lamp nicely. The lamp can also be angled vertically as well as the zoom.

I ran out of light once and it was very difficult picking my way home in total darkness, so I also carry an LED light as backup - Petzk Tikka.

There are much more expensive and powerful lights used by orienteers. Silva are good but F&T don't seem to have them. The battery packs are heavier and tend to be carried in a pouch, harness or pocket rather than the head.

Given unlimited money I'd get a more powerful one with a flood - say 20W - I'd like to have more light in the periphery because I get a strange feeling of running into a tunnel with a narrower beam.

I also use the same light skating and skiing. It is handy on a bike too - in addition to the normal light you can swing your beam at cars on junctions if you think they haven't seen you and are going to come out.
  • Options
    I once heard that statistically it was safer to run at night than during the day (in terms of numbers, and incidents - does anyone know if this is true because I really want verification!), so if the dark spots actually don't bother you then I'd go for it. I guess some of it actually depends on where you live.

I like driving and listening to music/to the radio, so presumably running for that length of time whilst doing the same shouldn't be boring. Longest I've ever run, I'm actually not sure - but am retrieving my old training diaries from the 1990s when I next go to visit my mum, so will know then!

I think a torch would be a good idea anyway, as you're less likely to trip over things or step into a hole/mess.

Laura
  • Options
    Thanks SteveC.... didn't realise you're from Norway! Must be some nice trail running there.

Headtorch will go on my Christmas list.

Now that I have a dog to run with I'm not too worried about running in the dark, just falling over and looking like a prat. It would be a brave wouldbe mugger/rapist who took on Bootie but I wouldn't wear headphones... I like to hear what's going on around me.

I do have a small (but powerful) handheld torch but when I tried running with that it didn't feel right... got in the way somehow.

Have a good w/e all.
    BL