Halstead Marathon

191011121315»

Comments

• David,

I was chatting to a friend after the race, she did FLM this year, and we both agreed time is not the important thing when running a marathon. The important fact is that we all managed to complete a 26.2 mile course under our own steam whether running all the way or walking towards the end with our assorted injuries!

Stu
  • Congratulations to all of you!

The 2003 Halstead Marathon results are now on the web site:
    http://www.halsteadmarathon.co.uk

Any problems, please e-mail me.

Best wishes,

Juliet
  • Great event! Only my 2nd marathon and quite a contrast to the FLM last year. Lovely course, good support, well organised.

Didn't mind the hills in the first part of the race but I had convinced myself (for some reason) that the finish was all downhill. It was a bit of a shock to find that the route actually went over Ben Nevis at the 25 mile mark.

Seems there were quite a few runners who ran the FLM this year (including the top 4 placed finishers) - gluttons for punishment!

Michael - can you explain how you managed to knock 25 minutes off your FLM time? Well done by the way.

Derek
  • Stu

Just wanted to wish you all the very best for your forthcoming trip. Hope you have a great time.

Am going away for a few days so won't be online for a while.

Hope your hip is feeling better.

NN - hope all is OK with you - looking forward to seeing you and Colin at Southend.
    Neil - will you be there?

Jo
  • Well run Derek - your time was 2 mins better than my 2nd marathon - this was my 4th.

I found that doing both London and Halstead was (slightly) less mad than it might seem. After you have done all the long hard training for London its like getting two for the price of one - all you have to do is keep things ticking over in the five weeks in between. Having said that I have no intention of doing another five weeks from now - thats it until the autumn, maybe the New Forest in September.

Clem
  • I must agree with Clem regarding doing both London and Halstead .
    I got the pace judgement at London totally wrong - 35:38 at 10k when I meant to run 37 mins causing me to blow up quite spectacularly at 16 miles and walking by 20.
    Following the criticism that I got from my club (they laughed) , I had the opportunity to redeem myself at Halstead , fortunately the pace judgement was right this time .
    Brussels 20k (for fun ) and The Comrades (first ultra) are next on the list although my next actual marathon will probably be Berlin in September.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I was one of the runners going the wrong way, actually me and my boyfriend were cheerleaders, running in reverse! Graham we saw you go the wrong way and Steve (the boyfriend) went sprinting off to get you back but you were way ahead so we sent a boy off on his bike! just wanted to say what a lovely bunch you all were, you were saying well done to us! Well done Mr Cates (he gave me a race report in pub last night)!
    Anyone doing Hatfield on Monday? We will go the right direction this time!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Wabo - many thanks for doing that, goodness knows where I would have ended up!

That poor little lad on the bike, his legs were going like pistons - I thought he was winding me up when he said I'd gone the wrong way and was going to tell him to b*gg*r off when it occured to me that I didn't actually recognise where I was. Reckon I went about 800 metres off course, was devastated at the time - has taught me an important lesson though.

Can only explain that my energy levels were getting seriously depleted - felt very hungry and thirsty, was getting light headed and had difficulty maintaining concentration (I normally spend the 3 hours or so doing mental arithmetic), had numbness and pins/needles in arms/shoulders etc. Despite still maintaining a good pace I think I'd mentally shut down - running with tunnel vision. To be honest I hadn't fully recovered from running the Leeds marathon the previous week (and the 3 Forts Marathon the week before that).
  • By coincidence, when I was in the Peasant, Pubmarsh (The pub you passed on the route)after our Club 5K from there I bumped into a lad playing pool called Daniel who turned out to be the "boy on the bike". I told him of his fame and thanked him.

Maurice
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    What a small world it becomes with this forum!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can