Halstead Marathon

Comments

• Excellent, best wishes for this year too then Michael, NN
  • NN - thanks and thanks to everyone for advice. am so caught up in the bug that reckon I will do both. As an Essex girl should take advantage of all the home races. Having said that I could be one of those saying never again after London !
  • Hi Karen, I would certainly recommend the Halstead race, it is a decent course and with it being a 2 lapper you always have the option of pulling out if it doesnt feel right at the time without being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Have a good one at FLM,let us know how it goes, NN
  • First of all does anyone know where Halstead is, can you get to easily by public transport? Ran a half marathon in Brighton on Sunday, 1:29, would I be able to complete a marathon with such a short training period? Any help grateful! O by the way does anyone live in Brentwood who is doing this thing.
    Cheers!
  • Hi James, must admit I am not sure of the Public Transport links, but will see what I can find out for you, I am guessing by your message that you are in Brentwood??

If you ran a Half at Brighton last weekend (Beacon race??) then Halstead will not be a problem, it is not flat, but is a decent course.

Will have a look for transport and report back, NN
  • Best that seems to come up at the moment is to get train from Brentwood at 7:46 to Shenfield for 7:51 then leaves Shenfield 8:00 and gets to Marks Tey for 8:25.

Then you have a choice of getting a taxi from Marks Tey to Halstead, about 8 miles. (this would be my option)

Or, waiting for Sudbury train and getting off at first station which is Wakes Colne and Chappel, and getting taxi from there, 5 miles direct road, this is quite a wait though, 9:14 for train which will only get to Chappel for 9:20, and then you have just 40 mins to get to Halstead and settle ready for the run.

I would recommend the first option personally.

If you go to yell.com there are 12 taxi firms listed for halstead, if you want me to email you the numbers let me know.

Hope the above helps, NN
  • Hi Maurice, I know you have probably answered this earlier in the thread, but just as a refresh.....

Got my number this morning and the info that comes with it and it has been altered to say 10:30am start, is that definite?

If so, it would be wise to update your race listing on this site as it says 10am (and other sites), which may have ruled some out for public transport reasons, also when I went to your website last night it said 10am also on the entry form.

Best Wishes, NN
  • I really think you all must be talking about another Marathon, Yes it is undulating
    but it is far from tough as long as you treat any Marathon with respect and you have done your training.It is set in beautiful countryside and is well worth doing
    forget about the boring London
  • Oops cancel the above, its the fun run that starts at 10.30am, the marathon is still 10am, sorry everyone :(

Hi Dave, yes certainly more exciting than FLM, but people should not run London and then expect this course to be as easy thats all I meant, we all know London is a PB course, Halstead is not! I like the course personally, thats why I didnt even try to enter FLM just went straight for this one :)

I assume you have done it before then, how did you get on previously?

Best wishes, NN
  • Phew, panic set in. At least I was able to pull Andy's leg over a Manor Oak bitter at The Dog last night.

We forgot to put in our information sheet how good the beer is at Halstead.

Best wishes

Maurice

• Hi NN
    Yes,Last year it has become our Club Marathon Championship we did quite well winning the Halstead team Champioship trophy
    and other prizes. But we all trained hard and long as any one should for long distances what ever standard you are, i also believe the course and weather played its part and i believe if you feel in good shape,positive and do not go off to fast a good Marathion time can be had at Halstead.
    Dave.
  • Hi Dave, yes I agree, its still my marathon PB course, so I love it :)

I seem to recall it was quite warm in 98 too, I prefer the warm weather, so hoping it may happen again!

NN
  • Are you doing this one Neil? I cant remember and its quicker asking than going back over the messages again :)

NN
  • Well, I think so. I was aiming for Shakespeare, but the coughs, colds and chicken pox of my various children have mucked up the long runs a bit! Should be OK in time for May though. I've been averaging 30 miles a week for a few months and doing 15 milers quite regularly.

Fingers crossed, I'll be there!

Neil
  • Excellent, sounds a bit like my plans having to alter at the moment, I was doing Bungay Marathon this Sunday but last week Physio told me that my calf was on the verge of tearing so that put paid to my plans :(

I have done this course before though and it is a nice one in my opinion, but maybe I would say that as its my marathon PB :)

Hope to see you there, NN
  • Have just read through the long list of messages and must admit I am now a little confused!! How tough is this course? Never run a marathon before but have done a few 10milers, Half Marathon (Brentwood) and 20 miler (Rochford). Half marathon time was 93:53, 20 miler 2:35:31. Am I looking at a sub 3:30 for this one? That's my hope but if the course is tough do not want to be overly optimistic and then be disappointed with a slower time. Any ideas guys???
  • By the way did the Benfleet 15 too. God awful course so think that should make me mentally fit at least!!!!!
  • Also ran this last year having run FLM and think 5 weeks between is just perfect. Forget the long runs, sharpen the speed having rested for a week, then a weeks taper suited me fine. Really enjoyed the race although it was a tad hot for me...the course is not tough, basically the same as you get in most rural areas down south, undulating...enjoy and hope to see you there assuming unscathed after FLM...cheers, Amanda
  • Like I mentioned earlier in the thread this is my marathon PB, I went off really steady at 9:00 pace for the first 9 miles (ran with mate), then picked it up and came in at 3:20, its a good course and not any more difficult in my opinion to any 26.2 mile course :)

If you did a 20 miler in 2:35 then 3:30 for Halstead is a very good possibility!

NN
  • Thanks NN - thats put my mind at ease somewhat - feeling a bit more positive about it now. Not sure how I will be feeling at the end though!!!!!
  • Stuart, you will probably feel like the rest of us, knackered! :)

Are you local, just wondered why you had picked Halstead? BTW, if you did Benfleet 15 then this will be a doddle!!

Maurice, is there a team award in the marathon, if so what is the team, is it first 3 of same team home or what?

Cheers, NN
  • Based in Southend so suppose you can class it as local. Didn't enter for FLM as I did not think I would be up for the distance, but since the start of the year have been doing 10 mile upwards races so thought Halstead would be a good first marathon. Didn't help though when I started reading this thread but at least my fears have been somewhat eased!
    As to Benfleet - did you run it??? Fell four times (first time was funny, second not so, and so on) and got covered in mud. Only now can I look back and laugh about it but on the day itself it sure wasn't funny! Took me just over 2 hours to complete the course and I think I almost cried with relief when I crossed the finish!
  • I had a sensible idea to give it a miss after speaking to club mates about it thankfully!

Guess you didnt do the Essex 20 that was in Rochford then? Have just entered the Southend Half again (did it last year) its a good PB course.

Anyway....Halstead....I wouldnt have any fears about the course personally, some people will say its tough some people will say its not, its down to personal experience and stories you hear about the course, and like I say I ran it and found it to be great.

NN
  • Yep did Essex 20 - that was my 2:35 time. Not a bad course but had its inclines too in places.

As to Benfleet, I should have known better. Actually chatted to a couple of guys before the start when I was forewarned about the likely state of the course, but decided to run it anyway. My friend had better ideas and changed her mind just before the start. But at least she was waiting at the finish line to cheer me home!
  • I completely died at Essex 20, got to about 17.5 miles and was stuffed, ended up getting 2:17 which I was not overly pleased with.

There could be a few forumites ( depending on commitments)coming to cheer me on for this one so we should meet up before the start so that we can all get cheered on.

You gonna do the southend half too?

NN
  • Now you are showing off! I would have been quite happy with 2:17!!
    I'm bringing my fan club in tow for Halstead so should swell the support!!
    Can't make southend half - believe its the 8th June and will be flying to Oz that day!
    Halstead will be my last UK race for a couple of years!
  • Smart of to Oz excellent, best make it a good one at Halstead then.

The thing with the 2:17 was that with 3 miles to go I was on for 2:14 but just suddenly found myself knackered and unable to run, I think it was the 2nd set of 2 miles into the wind that did it, hence why I wasnt over the moon with the result.

NN
  • Last 2 miles were tough for me ended up averaging 10 minute mile pace for them (I admit it i walked for a bit), upto that point was averaging 7minute30 pace. If I hadn't of slowed would have beat 2:30 which was my target.
  • Hopefully Halstead will be different for us both then!

NN