Halstead Marathon

Comments

• Hi NN,

Just want to prove that I can run a marathon distance. Depending on how it goes even considering running the Goldcoast Marathon in Oz!!

Stu
  • Hi NN & Co

Will look out for you on the day outside the school - my no. is 151 - will say hello and goodbye, as you'll be home and dry before I complete the first lap!

Jo
  • i want to run Sydney in a few years time, let me know what its like if you watch/run it when over there, on tese forums please, NN
  • Hi Joanne, I shall try to remember to wear my URWFRC Cap that morning, and URWFRC yellow T-Shirtalso before the off so that you can recognise me and come and say hi.

We will still be about to cheer you in dont worry about that, what sort of time are you hoping for then?

NN
  • Hi NN

Will look out for your cap and yellow t-shirt. Am hoping to run in under 5 hours - depends on all those hills I keep reading about!

Jo
  • Hi joanne, btw I am number 107.

If you pace it well then you will be fine, as soon as you have run the first lap then you will know what is coming on the second, which I think is a good advantage.

This is definitely a good course for pacing yourself though, dont be tempted just cos you may feel good.

NN
  • Hi NN

Thanks for that advice - am intending to take it slowly to make sure I get round - will be pleased to finish - am not so bothered about the time really.

Understand you hope to finish in under 3 hrs - it takes me that long to run 18 miles on a good day!

Jo
  • Jo,

You are right, just to finish is an achievement in itself.

The course really is not as bad as some say, personally I feel that the odd hill does not affect you so much in a marathon as it does in say a 10km for example, as we are already running at a slower pace than we would in a 10km.

But thats just my thinking, works for me though :)

NN
  • Jo,

Are you a local runner then, sorry if I have asked this before.

NN
  • NN

makes sense - see you on the 18th

Jo
  • NN,

Would like to run Sydney aswell but think my training would have gone to pot by then!!

Jo, good luck for the 18th. Will be my first time too, and we'll be there to cheer you in (assuming I have infact finished and have not collapsed!!)

Stu
  • Hi Stu,

Not long to go, how are your final preparations going for the run?

NN
  • Hi NN,

Hoping to put in a long run tonight around 15 miles, then short run tomorrow and a mid run on Saturday. Am doing the Canvey 5 miler on Sunday. Plans for the next couple of weeks are a few 5/6 milers and one long run. Must admit am looking forward to the week before the race when I get to put my feet up and eat lots of pasta!!. How's your final training going??

Stu
  • Hi Stu

Good luck to you too - hope you enjoy the rest of your training. I've not managed to get out much over the Easter hols because of my kids, but hope to make up for it in the few weeks left leading to the big day. Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 18th. Have fun in the Canvey 5 miler.

NN - I'll be wearing a burgandy Juvenille Diabetes running vest - will look out for your yellow t-shirt. What do the letters stand for?

Jo
  • Hi Stu, reckon we will meet up at Canvey 5 then, as I am in that also, have you had your number through yet?

Hi Jo, URWFRC, Unofficial RunnerWorld Forum Running Club, we were born from these forums just over a year ago this month, www.urwfrc.org

My recent training had to stop on physio orders, I almost tore my calf in March and so had to have complete rest, now it a bit late, as have 5 more races before Halstead to think about, so going to try and wing it on the day! (I wouldnt advise anyone else do this), lol!

NN
  • NN,

Number for Canvey is 69 (don't laugh!). Number for Halstead is 127 I believe.

Only did 12 miles last night in the end, hip has been twinging a little so don't want to push it too hard. Plan a gentle 5 miles tonight on the treadmill, then resting tomorrow (expect I will find myself in the pub!).

Not sure what time I will be getting to the race on Sunday. Am catching up with friends aswell. Will look out for you, what's your race number??

Stu
  • Jo,

Quick note - traning is not supposed to be fun!!! But I suppose if it gets you away from the kids then you probably would class it as that??!!

Stu
  • Hi Stu

Yeah, I know training's not supposed to be fun, but isn't it great when you've achieved your intended mileage? Mind you, I always find it a chore setting out and sometimes I think I'm raving mad running when there are so many more restful activities out there, but I get such a buzz from being in races. You're right about the kids though, bless them, running certainly gets rid of all the built up tension. Hope your hip feels better.

Jo
  • Havent got number through for Canvey yet, so dont know at the moment, does it really (Canvey) start at 9.45am or did I read the listing on this site incorrectly?

Planning on a steady 13 miles tonight, then nothing tomorrow, followed by an hour long leg massage on Saturday ready for Canvey.

Will post my number when I get it!

NN
  • Hi folks, haven't been on this thread for a while. I think I'm just about ready for this now. Over the last four weeks I've done three 20-milers and one 15, and now feeling a bit sore around the knees - no surprise.

I've not really done any speed work, but did clock a new 1/2m PB of 1:42 a few weeks ago, so according to my trusty Bob Glover guide that ought to get me round in about 3:45. However, the main aim is to get in under 4 and anything below 3:52 would be a marathon PB by one hour, which would be a nice improvement!

I'll be sporting my URWFRC vest so see you at the start, and for a few hours afterwards if you're also aiming for sub-4.

Any thoughts on running this with a Camelbak?

Neil
  • Hi Neil,

Good to see you back. Sounds like you are raring to go for this one then, well done on your half PB also.

Dont know about these camelbak things as have never used them, I would say if you do not usually use one then not to bother, they also weigh soooo much at the start when full by the look of it!

NN
  • Hi NN,

My understanding is that Canvey starts at 10.30am - well that's what the letter said that came with my race number anyway!!

Stu
  • Hi Jo,

Know what you mean about finding it a chore but don't you feel so much better once you've finished. As to race days, I have never started a race thinking 'why am i doing this' and whilst that continues to be the case I will intend to carry on running.

Oh and did five miles tonight without a single hip twinge. Not sure how it will feel on a marathon though!!

Stu
  • Hi Stu

mmm - definitely feel great when I've finished a training run. As far as racing (well, participating in my case!)is concerned, I love it. Never have time to wonder why I'm doing it as I'm too busy trying to locate the loos!

Glad your hip felt OK this evening.

NN - hope your calf is OK for your run on Sunday.

Hope you both enjoy the Canvey run.

Jo
  • By the way, does anyone know if there's a way into this particular forum without having to search for Halstead through the events tab and locate the forum from there?

Jo
  • Jo,

Canvey will be a walk in the park!!!

And as to accessing the forum without going throug hthe search - I don't have a clue but if you find out let me know!

Well that's me finished for the day - off to my bed. Have a training run tomorrow evening - probably about 10 miles then resting until Sunday!

Stu
  • Hiya, this link will get you straight into this thread, http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=4887&last=1&SP=&V=1

Alternatively, tick the notify box to enable email notification next time you leave a message.

PB, yeah come on, go for it!

NN