Options

Tuesday session (26/11/2002)

So I was doing my cross training session in my home gym last night and was doing some cycling on level 4 (of 10) and thinking "bloody hell this feels hard" - anyway, stuck with it to the end of the session (losing a couple of litres of sweat in the process) and then noticed that the indicator thingy had slipped so I was actually on level 9!

Today: 5 steady
Why: No speed work for me 'til I figure out what to do with my knee
Last hard day: Last night was pretty tough
Last rest day: Thursday

Comments

• Options
    Hi Martin, hallo all you lucky sleepy ones

What: 5 fast(ish)
    Why: Because I can breathe again, and because Seb Coe apparently said,if you want to run faster you have to ... run faster?!
    Last hard day: ages ago
    Last rest day: Yesterday

Freezing here in Brussels so took my new Concurve waterproof jacket with me. Thought I'd boil - but it was great. Good luck for everyone's training today.
  • Options
    What: 7 to 8 miles at a steady pace; 66 mins
    Why: I woke up! And I read Martin's comment about his dodgy knee and it reminded me that might not be doing myself any favours to do a speed sesh (left IT Band - whole of left side)
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Monday
  • Options
    Hi everyone. Exploratory run on dodgy knee yesterday turned into a wonderful fastish 7-miler, surrounded by fluffy ponies, fluffy sheep and blue sky. Every single bit of ice has melted off the trails, so I can run without risk of sliding into a ditch. So much for exercising restraint.

Anyway, today - speed session. 15 min warm up, 5 x 4 mins @ 5k pace (or a bit faster) with 3 min rests in between. Missed this session last week, and it's the one that really does help me pick up speed.
    Why - Cos I am racing (at last!) in three weeks time
    Last hard - Friday
    Last rest - Saturday and Sunday
  • Options
    Tuesday night club run. Recently these have developed into a 10 mile at (for me anyway) race pace lung-bursting slog with efforts and hills thrown in for good measure. But it is paying dividends.
    Last hard sess - Sunday
    Last rest day - Friday.
  • Options
    what: quality session with Wirral AC runners
    why: it's Tuesday
    last hard run: Sat
    last long run: Sun
    last rest day: Mon

FF - keep 'em going! That sort of session over that sort of distance really will sharpen you up. Wish I had similar company on my Friday (hard & longish) session.
  • Options
    FF + Mike S,
    me too with the Tuesday night club punishment session. I couldn't agree more that these workouts are really tough but do wonders for fitness level.

What: 10 mile fartlek with club
    Why: Tuesday
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last restday: Monday
  • Options
    Right morning all,

now what should I do today. My shins are a bit sore so the options are

1) 6-7 mile fartlek (gotta get that speedwork in!)
    or
    2) 6-7 mile easy. Votes please

Last Hard Run : Sunday
    Last Rest Day : Saturday

• Options
    Morning all

Not feeling to grand this week so will be taking it easy.

What: Probably hills @ the club (Will just see how I feel)
    Last hard: Some time last week
    Last rest: Yesterday
  • Options
    GRRRRRRR rant

felt my back had recovered enough to allow a run last night. so did planned 7.5miles at easy pace (70%WHR target). First run for a week. Legs felt like lead, all that cholesterol and fat eaten in the last week had obviously attached itself to my leg muscles. I was roughly to target HR but 40secs/mile slower than previous (9%). Do your eally lose fitness that fast. And what's worse is taht in the last 300m my left knee went. maybe a reaction to the back. And hip was no better for a week off....so who's bright idea was "recovery week" then, I'm worse now than before.

rant over

so today:

what :rest or club night
    why: see above
    last hard day: 9 days ago
    last rest: sun
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hi-de-Hi !

All these dodgy knees and other miscellaneous injuries make me feel better.I sincerely hope you all get back to peak condition soon!

Feeling tired and sore after yesterdays long run,so I am taking a rest day today (the first since Thursday). Also schedule a bit wayward for the next 10 days or so: X-country race on Saturday,midweek race next Wednesday,another race next Sunday.

I'll be back with some speed intervals on grass tomorrow................

Last Hard : Yesterday
    Last Rest : Today !
  • Options
    morning all.

did my first hill session yesterday on the treadmill, boy was I exhausted, so for today Ill have a rest.

Martin H, Im off to bishops stortford running club tommorrow night, anyone you would like to be remembered too ? I recall you mentioned that you used to run with them

ta ta
  • Options
    scarlett

Enjoy your session with BSRC they are a really nice bunch of people.

Remember me to Dave Carr, George Barron and Peter Amos.

The club will now be on their winter run around the town which at its maximum is about 9.63 miles (groups also run shorter routes!) and takes in Linsay road at about halfway which is a killer hill. Enjoy!

Do you live in Stortford?
  • Options
    New to this, but I think I have the general idea:

What: Speed session - hill reps

Why: Because I have an old rugby mate visiting and it will kill him. I have also been avoiding speed sessions because of a dodgy knee!

Last Hard: Hatton Darts x-country 2 weeks ago
    Last Rest: Sunday, Dad's 60th on the Sat
  • Options
    hi there, folks. sorry to hear there are so many niggles going around. don't worry sfhlegs - I doubt you've lost much fitness in just a week, I'm sure you'll be back on form in no time.

what: 8 miles including 6 x 800m @ 5K pace with 400m recoveries. had planned on 8 x 800m but legs weren't having it.
    why: tuesday's speed session, but actually a work out too far because ...
    last rest day: saturday 18th, i.e. ten days with no rest
    last hard day: sunday

next rest: tomorrow!
  • Options
    HI, thanks Martin will try and pass on your regards.

Ill be going for one of the shorter runs..

Im not in Stortford, in Sawbridgeworth so not too far to travel.

Ill report back on Thurs,

cheers

• Options
    G'day from soggy Wales.

What: Club night, who knows what will happen. Probably 8 miles hard.
    Why: Cos we make it up when we get there.
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Sunday
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Actually sunny in London for once!

What: Rest.
    Why: My turn to cook! Did 3.6 miles last night at an easy pace, which worked out to 8.41 minutes per mile. This felt quite easy and slow, which is encouraging as my fast pace must be quite a bit quicker than this.
    Last hard: Thursday.
    Last rest: Sunday.
  • Options
    very grey and dark and drizzly here in Scotland - theres a surprise!

what: hill reps
    why: because i got completely creamed in the race on saturday.
    6 miles steady last night
    2 hrs run over the hills sunday morning
    6 mile x-country race on saturday
    Last rest - can't remember!
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    First time I've posted for a few days. Been in Scotland over the weekend and haven't had much time since I came back.

After 3 hard weeks, building up my endurance base again, this is an easy but intense week (low mileage, intense sessions), which is quite handy since I'm doing a 10k on Sunday.

Today: 5 x 3min intervals off 3 min jog recoveries.
    Why: Been reading lots of articles on VO2max and this session is meant to be one of the best. Unfortunately it involves reaching 95%+ MHR
    Last rest day: yesterday
    Last hard day: Sunday - 19 miler off road
  • Options
    What : not sure rest I tink
    Why : pushed it too hard on first 4 of training run last night (one sub 7 minute mile average sub 7.5 for first 4, average final average 8.85 over 12.25m)
    Last Rest Day : Sunday
    Last Hard Run : Last night
    Next tomorrow : aim 2 miles of speed work
  • Options
    Clear blue skies and sun in Tunbridge Wells today:

What: 13 miles nice and slow.
    Why: Moved my long run from yesterday as 4.5-year-old was throwing up all morning.
    Last rest: yesterday - although I did run around a lot with bucket to catch sick :-(
    Last hard: 6-7 miles of fartlek on Sunday

Hoping to clock 30 miles this week.
  • Options
    Glad people seem a bit brighter than yesterday! On the whole.

What: swim, cause that's what happens on Tuesdays at the moment.

Wild Will - your suggestions for alternatives to simply slogging back and forth do seem to be paying dividends now. Time for ten lengths is now appreciably quicker. Not perhaps in absolute terms, but definitely quicker.
    Thanks, Marj
  • Options
    Been wondering what you'd been up to Drew; glad to hear about your session as it's what the club coach made us do last night.

Snake hips gets my vote for best 'Why' session explanation.
    Shf legs, give it a few days I'm sure you'll be fine.

What: Nothing, except reading how hard you lot are working.
    Why: MM says rest days are important.
    Last hard: last night.
    Last rest: Thurs.

Hope everybody's knees get better soon.
  • Options
    Howdy Folks!!

What: 8km steady
    Why: Planning on a longer run tomorrow
    Last Hard: Sat
    Last Rest: Weds

Anyone not seen the London half marathon get yourself onto the Events page, places are going quick............
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone.

What: like many off for weekly club run tonight. Most probably about 7-8 miles (fartlek). However, need to be a little easier on myself this week as I have a few twinges in my lower back-old problem!
    Why: it's Tuesday and as for the back I NEED TO LISTEN TO MY BODY! Only 2 races left for this year!!
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: from running yesterday-did a 1hr circuit session.

• Options
    What: rest
    why: I can't say, it's secret and involves dark forces moving in mysterious ways...

last hard: Sunday ish
    last easy: Yesterday
  • Options
    Damn!!

I'm losing my touch!

Right, that's it. I'm setting my alarm for 11:55pm.

;)

What: Just under four miles, steady
    Why: Recovering from injury. Twinges returned, however, and my foot ached when on the tarmac (as opposed to the grass which made up the majority of my run); therefore, I'm going to take three days off then try a 3-miler.

Last hard: Thursday on assault course.
    Last rest: Yesterday
  • Options
    Just the 3 of us out tonight.
    2½ miles building up to a steady pace into the wind; short rest; 3 miles almost all downwind, brisk; 1¼ miles warm down back to the cars.
    Misunderstood & thought we were going hard all the way back to the cars; paced it accordingly & consequently had a bit left (for once).