practical advice for ladies

I'm thinking about trying a triathlon but have a 'serious' question for the ladies .... what do you do about a sports bra? I really can't run without some decent scaffolding. What do you gals normally do? I can't imagine that any swimming costume is going to give enough support!

Comments

• Sore Toes, many women wear a sports bra under their tri suit / costume, which I'm lead to believe actually turns out to be more comfortable than it sounds. In a sprint triathlon I just about got away with a tri costume (having modestly sized assets), but unless you're built like Paula Radcliffe, I would not have wanted to run any more than 5k without additional support!
  • as a male I can't give you a "proper" answer but just some observations.......most larger ladies use a trisuit rather than a swimming costume so they CAN wear a bra underneath without it being less than attractive - don't think I've ever seen a lady wearing a swimming cossie and a bra.........the cossie weares tend not to need support.

Petal has a very tight trisuit ( a size smaller than she would normally go for) which does hold her in place well - she would not normally run without a bra but has done a 1/2 IM in this suit and was fine........she would also suggest if you NEED to wear a bra, check out the new Falke range as they are seamless and dry quickly so wouldn't get too uncomfy being wet for so long......

but I have seen many a lady doing a tri without visible support when you would think they would need it (I usually get out of the way to avoid black eyes!!) so I guess many just get on with it and suffer........

maybe look at the tight trisuit option....
  • I wear a sports bra (shockabsorber level 4) under my tri suit. I got a Sugoi tri suit especially 'cos it would hide my bra, and also 'cos it has big shorts that hide my thighs. No problems with it getting wet, it still holds up really well and wasn't uncomfortable at all. There is no way I could run without some serious strapping, even with a tight tri suit.

I've seen some scary things though on other people, including people wearing bras underneath swim suits. You can see the whole bra back - not particularly aesthetic.
  • Thanks for the advice, FB - that's probably why I decided the tri costume wouldn't go anywhere further than the pool in future...;-)
  • thanks all - will go away and ponder on the next newbie question!
  • OK. I'm not a girlie but my other half is!! :-)

She swears by Ennell sports bras..really good if you are of the larger busted persuasion...not sure how well they would go with a tri suit but they definitely work...

I think the website is something like sweatbandelle.co.uk...you can still get to it through sportsbras.co.uk
  • I'm a 38C bra size but I race in a size 36 TYR brand padded tri swimsuit and I've never needed to wear a bra as well. The swimsuit holds my 'assets' firmly in place.
  • This is one thing that has always been an issue for me I normally run in a shock absober and a sports jock crop top due to being of a larger persuasion. I have a tri swim suit which has more support than a normal on. My first idea was to put a sports jock on in transition, this is a bad idea the crop top rolls up and takes ages to get it on. I bought a two piece tri suit and wore the top under the one piece this worked fine, but it was difficult to get two colours that matched. I have also raced with my shockabsober under my suit that was ok too but I do have one with racing backs. I have aslo met someone who puts a sports jock under her suit and said it was ok and didn't take to long to dry. It may be best doing a bit of experimenting and seeing what is best for you, good luck.
  • sugoi is good, i like sugoi stuff

mind you, i've got nowt
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    not even something you can jiggle? You don't have to be very big to jiggle.
  • well i'm assuming i can. i never tried it.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    pfft
    who you trying to kid?