Alternative marathons

Comments

• If you are considering coming to Italy don't forget Padova Marathon. Every one is speaking very highly of this competition.
    http://www.maratonasant-antonio.com/index.php?&l=ENG
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've done Shakespeare twice, don't care for the route as long, long stretch on very straight path and on the 2nd lap and even longer stretch on the same path. Everyone keeps on about the hill, but I can't remember any hills on this course, couple of slight undulations.
  • What about the Duchy Marathon, Redruth Cornwall two laps along the coast road, bit windy last year, but has a twenty mile cut off race for people training for London or other marathons. Three weeks before FLM.
  • A great alterantive to the London marathon is the Ruhr Marathon that takes place on the same day. My husband ran it last year and said it was the best of the 4 he has run including London.
    This year there are 2 starts (east and west) with the routes joining around 10 miles from the finish. The east route takes in 5 cities - Dortmund, Bochum, Herne, Gelsenkirchen and Essen and includes a trip through the production line of the Opel car factory.
    EasyJet fly daily from Luton - Dortmund and we got a good deal in the Hilton which included free transport to the start. Check out the website - karstadt ruhr marathon. The course is flat except for the last 5 kms, crowds were brilliant and, as you would expect from the Germans, the organisation was superb.
    Jenny
  • Sounds interesting, Jenny. I've just signed up for the Hamburg marathon the following week, which I've also heard great things about.

Good shout for the Padova/Padua marathon the same day. This was going to be my choice until I came across Hamburg. Will definitely aim to get to Padova sometime.

• White Peak for me. Plenty of places, nice course if a little lonely in places. Also sad I know but I checked times of WP2004 vs FLM 2003 where I could find matching runners. Found 6 all <3.20 and the ave times on the 2 races were v close, WP actually quicker. So unless everyone improved in 1 yr sounds like its competitive so here I come..

Will be 41 a mth before oh dear, so anyone who can pace me to 3.14 and GFA place for 06 and 07 will get a pint of best derbyshire bitter from me!!

Tim
  • lochaaaaaaaaaaaberrrrrrrrrrrr
  • OK I am a double reject. First from the ballot and then from the chance of one of the three places at our club.

I have read the thread and am thinking about Lochaber, Rotterdam or Paris. Does anyone know how often the drinks stations are as I dehydrate badly.

Thanks for any advice.
  • stands well back

er
    I would imagine the big city maras like Paris and rotters would have better stations
    but im doing Lochaber anyroad
  • Must admit I'm being drawn to this one as well.

• After FLM rejection, entered Bungay and Three Forts to get it out of my system! I've now won a FLM place through Running Club ballot/raffle! Ah well - three marathons in five weeks - should be fun!
  • 5 rejections in a row. Oh well
    Can recomend Lochaber I did it last year very flat and fast.
    Me?

I'm going to the dead sea marathon or maybe the ultra. Downhill all the way. Starts in Amman about 900m above sea level and finishes at the dead sea 400m below sea level. If I can't break 3:15 there I never will.
  • Cheap flights make Paris and Rotterdam very easy alternatives. Stockholm in June is a great race and Berlin in September is another great race that is easy to get to at little cost.

God Bless Easyjet and Ryanair!
  • I'm looking to do Paris. Cheap flights, nice course, but accommodation could be a problem! Anyone done it before and got any suggestions??
  • See this thead seems to have died a death since Xmas - would just like to add anyone wanting a Summer marathon abroad might like to think about the Swiss Alpine marathon in Davos. Actually it's a number of events:-
    78k race for the hardmen
    2 different marathons - one easier than the other
    A 1/2 marathon
    and finally a 30k race
    Did the harder marathon last year and it was fantastic, just do not hope for a PB. Took me 5hrs 30 compared to normalish time of 3:45 but it was worth every step -fab organisation and feed stations

Going back this year to try 78k - god help me

Got cheap flights from Bristol to Zurich for under £80 return with BA and although race entry is aprox £50 included in this are return rail tickets which get you from Zurich airport to Davos (about a 3 hour train ride) and free local train travel around Davos.
    Hotels a little pricey but there are self catering options available.
    Details at:-

Swiss Alpine

• Has anyone done Barcelona?

Scheduled for 26th March, flights aren't yet up for Ryanair but usually really cheap.

Espanyol at home on the Sunday night as well so I could combine two pleaseures into one trip.
  • Hi Martin

Barcelona - no I haven't done it, but I'm doing it. I live in Barcelona and actually took up running two years ago because I wanted to do this marathon.

I suppose you've seen the website www.maratobarcelona.es
    It has a new organisation this year and they've redesigned the course. Check out the forum thread "Barcelona marathon 2006"
    (to avoid me repeating the enthusiastic rants I wrote there!)

Anyway should be good.
  • Bobnz,

Yes I have seen the Barcelona marathon website, thanks.

Which Forum is the Barcelona Marathon thread on? So many threads on these forums I can't see it. (probably me being blind, smiley face thingy).

I am serious tempted with this race but can't make a decision until the flights are up so I know the cost.

I did really enjoy Barcelona when I visited and would love to go back
  • The Barcelona thread (the semi-active one, that is) is on "Events". I don't know how to paste a hyperlink in a message but here's the address for you to copy and paste in your address line:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=6&amp;UTN=70355&amp;last=1 &amp; SP = &amp; V = 6

As for flights, depends where you're coming from of course but as well as Ryanair (which flies mostly to Girona and Reus airports, both a 1-hour coach ride from Barcelona city) there are a ton of budget airlines which fly into Barcelona's main airport at El Prat: easyjet and lots of others.

In fact here's a site to locate budget airlines that fly where you want to go (try the map page): www.skyscanner.net
  • bobnz, Thanks very much for the information. I use Ryanair whether possible as I live in Essex and Stansted is the easiest airport for me to get to.

Easyjet and Ryanair don't seem to have any of the London schedules up yet. I assume it must be something to do with the airports or air traffic control.

I found the other thread very interesting thanks.
  • I'm doing Hamburg, which is the weekend after London. It's flat, the race is a third of the size of London, it's cheap and easy to get to and the crowds are meant to be amazing.

I've already started the Hamburg Marathon 2007 thread, so if anyone else is doing it, come and say hello.
  • Very interesting resurected thread!

I've put my entry in for the Neolithic... The 6 hour cut off for results could be a challenge for me on the course (I am that slow...), but there's walkers on the same route, so I've no worries about being abandoned! And I have relatives to stay with nearby.

Sounds like one to do for the scenery or a bit of a challenge rather than PB.
  • Having not gotten into the FLM, I wouldn't mind choosing another marathon...

The only problem I have for the European marathons is my rather plodding pace...

I think it will take me approx 4 hours 45 mins to run a full marathon but I understand the European marathons only allow a short period to complete it?

Does anyone know of a marathon where my plodding pace would be ok?
  • hi snuggily, hubby and i have just entered rotterdam on the 15th april having recieved our outsize fleeces. we are hoping for sub 4 hours but there is no mention of time limits on their site. have a look and maybe you will join us? just hope we don't have to run in clogs, lol.
  • guys
    i believe the cut off for rotters is 5.30-
  • yep, hippo your right,( joanne miles here by the way just updated the nickname since the real one is boring and yours are all funny) just checked and rottrs is 5 30 so snuggily, you'll be fine
  • Thinking of Rotterdam too. I've already done FLM and Paris, so this is the logical one to do next. I will be aiming for 3.45 I think.
  • trying to decide between Rotterdam and Hamburg has anyone done both? If so have you any advice?
  • hi lone wolf, we're hoping for 3:45 too. hopefully we'll se you there.