Lake Vyrnwy Marathon 2005

Sadly there will be no marathon at Lake Vyrnwy any more.

The race organiser has had to discontinue the event due to traffic policing problems.

The half marathon will go ahead as usual in September.

Comments

• Oh that is bad news I wanted to do it this year after doing the half in September!!
    Live each day as if it was your last  give it all you have to reap the rewards.
  • Doh, I was thinking about it too!! Will defo do the half again though!!
  • Another one bites the dust.

I can see a time when marathons are run on 400 tracks to prevent traffic policing problems.
  • Hang on, traffic problems? at Lake Vyrnwy???

(More confused then ever at this world) Higs
  • oh no that is such a shame it was such a great marathon.
  • Oh **** that is a shame.- I was planning to do that one again next year... :-(

Don't remember any problems at all this year. :-(
  • The problems could be to do with the cost of the policing.
  • What does it cost to buy a policeman these days?
  • Shame. It was on my to-do list.
  • I've started a thread over on General. We need to do something about this.
  • I spoke to the race director last night, he is very disappointed too. Combination of policing and the highways peeps, such a shame.
  • Shades: From your conversation, do you think there's *ANYTHING* we can do about this?- IE more volunteers, smaller field, staged start etc...
  • just turn up on the day and run twice round the lake?
  • Gutted. Having run the half in September this was my planned marathon for when my FLM rejection letter arrives. Such a lovely location and fab flat course.

Is there anything that can be done about this?
  • No, I don't think anything can be done about this. The problem is the amount of time that road restrictions/policing is required for a marathon.

I suggest you guys arrange a forumite 'marathon training' weekend and have an unofficial marathon.
  • What a shame. Such a beautiful area.
  • I don't know the area around there, would they still be able to get peeps from the Start and to the finish without using roads. Also there's an issue with the dam too. You could all swim across!
  • Like you Evil Pixie, we have stayed in the hotel a couple of times for long weekends, (the food is fab) and have spent time walking around the area. I must say there has never been much traffic on the ocassions I have visited the Lake.

However, I am pleased to hear that the half is still going to be run.
  • Help

Can't get in this one. Would love to do it, anybody got a number they don't want???
  • Nor can anyone else, there is no marathon this year!!!!!!
  • Tis true

Bugger, meant the half marathon....is there a thread for that??