Options

Base Training Revisited

Comments

• Options
    HC - good question. When you're talking about elites then you are taking a runner you assume has a `good' relationship across all distances and times and figuring out how to nudge up performance that extra 1%.

One of the strengths of Hadd's approach is that we are dealing with runners of very good to moderate club standard and looking at what specific improvements can be made to their training.

For example, I set out to run a 2:45 marathon on 3 consecutive occasions and each time blew up in the last 6 miles to record 2:50, 2;49 and 2:51. By applying the approach outlined in the thread MM has analysed I was able to break through to 2:42.

I think the issue with `Joe's' mileage should not have too much read into it. I don't imagine Hadd was sitting there with Joe's detailed training log in front of him, but trying to give a general indication the sort of path his training was following.

You can take any training manual and dissect it. What Hadd was doing was not writing the definitive all-encompassing guide on how to train, but answering (in a great deal of detail) questions on a public forum about how he trained his athletes and individual queries from others about how they should train.

Remember - the 6 part posts were not edited in any way as they would be in a published work. Any apparent difficulties with the information need to be considered in that context.
  • Options
    So we return to Tom's point that the approach being outlined in those forums then was one which concerned the specific problem of a poor relationship of times the more the distance increased, and doesn't apply more generally. Am I correct or misrepresenting your answer?

If we accept this, would Seb Coe, whose 5k time was very poor compared to his 800/1500 times (in contrast to Ovett), have benefitted from dropping speedwork entirely in his base/general conditioning phase of the season?
  • Options
    Not entirely, HC. The poor relationship, particularly at marathon distance is one which resonates with many club athletes. The Hadd approach does not end there, as the stuff from letsrun I posted shows.

Re. Seb Coe, did it matter his 5k time was poorer than Ovett's? His training worked for him.
  • Options
    BR,
    "I think the issue with `Joe's' mileage should not have too much read into it. I don't imagine Hadd was sitting there with Joe's detailed training log in front of him, but trying to give a general indication the sort of path his training was following."

I think this is a fair point. If we follow this line of reasoning do you think that it's resonable to suggest that we not read too much into the heart rate data either. Perhaps where 150-160 bpm is stated for a particular workout we might consider the possibility the workout was actually conducted at 160-170 bpm or 170-180 bpm.
  • Options
    No, because when Hadd advises a run or section of run be done at 150-155 then that is how the runner generally does it. If the advice is to run for 2 hours, that could well end up as 1:55 or 2:15 depending on who the runner's training partners/ route taken etc.

The way I read the part about Joe's mileage is that Hadd maybe told him to run for 2 hours, Joe maybe ran 2:10 and stuck 20 miles down in his log rather than 19.2 or whatever. We don't know - as I said Hadd is trying to give an outline of his methods not a training schedule down to the nearest mile and minute.

It is running in the correct HR zone that matters here, not exactly how long you run for.
  • Options
    Maybe the total mileage for the week includes warm-ups, but the individual days only show the hard part of the workout.

That would explain the missing miles.

V. interesting though....
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR, as someone who has adapted some of Hadds ideas (I hesitate to call you a disciple - that sort of comment usually gets me into trouble), I'm sure you would agree that the central principle, and the one which probably deferentiates him from other coaches, is his emphasis on controling cardiac drift. This is done by starting at low (c70% MHR) and squeezing up to levels as high as 85%. Each step up in intensity to the next level is only made when training at the current level of intensity has minimised cardiac drift.

My question is why is it so is necessary to minimise cardiac drift.

In his analysis Hadd uses the idea that undertrained athletes will borrow from their anaerobic energy sources to fund their pace - this will rightly occure if the cardiac drift takes us through the LT. But what if we are running at the lower end of the range, eg 70% MHR. Even a reasonable amount of drift wouldn't make us go anaerobic, so we're still stressing our bodies ability to create and clear lactate - no problems apparently.

I can't see where Hadd explains this. The toothpaste analogy illustrates how it works, but it doesn't explain why we should do it that way. The only suggestions I can think of are either that we are so untrained when we start base training, that our LT is only just above 70%MHR (unlikely?) or that its good discipline which will hold us in good stead when we are training at higher rates of intensity which are closer to LT.

I often quote Daniel's approach which is to do tempo runs as close to LT as possible, as an alternative. This is where cardiac drift is most important as it takes a very well trained and experience runner to run this close to LT without going anaerobic - despite the pace guidelines Daniel's gives.
  • Options
    Tom, as I understand it, if you don't train your HR @ 70% to stabilise at a certain pace, then when you run a marathon at 85%-87% max HR then it will still drift.

If it drifts at 70% up to (say) 77% to maintain a particular pace, no worries in the short term as you say. You are still building mitochondria etc.

However if you get to running at 85% and start to drift up to 90% and beyond to maintain the same pace then you're going to be toast in a marathon as you will accumulate too much lactic acid and `blow up', like I used to.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR, I'm not sure you've answered my question. Why don't I just get out there and train my heartrate not to drift at 85% - why all the toothpaste rigmarol?
  • Options
    I'm coming in new and with only half a story here - I just couldn't read of the detail that MM has posted (great job - I'm seriously impressed) - but I am interested to get to the bottom of the "heart rate creep" that I'm experiencing (without hijacking this thread) and I see that there is mention here of cardiac drift.
    Is this the same thing ?
    Why - when I am running at 70% MHR (not every occasion) does my HR increase by upto 5 beats without increased effort, and despite slowing (treadmill accuracy) by 1kmph does the HR not drop, or if it does then it creeps up again at the slower pace. Is this because I have insufficient glycogen to burn carbs or insufficient carbs and therefore burn fat (which I understand is more oxygen demanding) and thus demands greater HR to sustain the same pace. I also wonder if poor air quality and heat have an influence here too ???
    Sorry for minor distraction but would be grateful for your (plural) clearly clever minds' thoughts on this.
  • Options
    I have tested this many times on the treadmills. I did a one hour run around 84% MaxHR and usually after 40 minutes your body heats up a bit more and hence a slight increase in HR (around 5bpm). I was still feeling okay after the run and could have run another 15 minutes. Does that mean my heart rate drift is too high? In other words is there a measure, ie <3% drift otherwise wrong pace?
  • Options
    Don't you get hotter on a treadmill though because there's no breeze?

Thanks for your explanation, MM. Extremely detailed stuff, you seem to be able to quote so much of it seemingly off the top of your head I get the impression you might be a sports science student. Clearly it's something you have a great interest in (me, I'm more history/oceanography/sports biographies!)
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Captain, BR will give you the Hadd take on this, but heartrate creep is the same as cardiac drift.

Heat is definately an issue when your running indoors there no cooling breeze to carry away the body heat, so it will build up. The way the body copes with increased body heat is to pump blood through the small capiliaries that lie under the skin in atempt to carry the core body heat to the surface of the skin. If this heat doesn't excape, core temperature increases and so more blood gets pumped to the skins surface. This means that the heart has to work harder hence the cardiac drift
  • Options
    URR - good point - what is acceptable drift and in reality would it be fair to say that the drift is inevitable and so slowing down is academic unless the drift is above a certain level. What would that level of drift be in either percentage or actual beats ???
    I seem to find that I have a natural level of about 125 to 127 beats per minute at my 9 min/mile pace, which is my comfortable do all day long pace (but not long run pace - thats much slower - 9.30 to 10 pace)
    Incidentally - my resting is 34 and max 160, I'm 16.5 stone and 44 years old and have been running for some years - I currenty run about 30 miles per week, and whilst this is a new intensity for me I am coping (apparently) with it.
  • Options
    Tom - thanks for that - do you know of any correlation between increase in temperature and increase in heart rate. I am aware that the gym today was quite warm and the air a bit still.
    I am tryng to gauge my performance improvement using the HRM and am completing a detailed running log. My drift is causing a variable that I hadn't banked on and don't know whether I should factor in to the MHR for a particular work out or not.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Captain - unfortunately no.
  • Options
    Why are you (anyone) training at a certain heart rate - I'm assuming it is because heart rate is linked to blood lactate level for a given level of fitness. If that's right then presumably heat induced increases in heart rate have to be factored into the equation - you'd be training at a higher heart rate for the equivalent session.
  • Options
    You can bring down the HR a bit with efficient running style or drinking water. Though I believe this is only temporary as you may heat up again. I imagine how well you are hydrated could be another factor too.

Calling BR! I would be interested in your cardiace drift and what you reckon is acceptable (or not). You have done a few times 3x 5k, right? Can you give us an insight into you huge data archive of HR samples? :)
  • Options
    Just back from sub-optimal club run:)

OK - Tom

I think the idea is that if you run at (say) 155-160 for a phase, your pace at that HR will increase. Then you move up to 160-165 etc. If you were to jump straight in to 85%, then you would train yourself not to drift at that intensity, but not at as fast a pace having done all the patient / boring (delete according to taste) stuff first.

URR / Captain. I find a HR drift of 5pm is within limits over a 3x5k session.

Another factor for the drift is low muscle glycogen - where basically you haven't taken in enough carbs to sustain the relationship.
  • Options
    BR - Cheers, you can always say it was a recovery run!!!

And how does the drift in HR convert into the 5k time, obviously you aim at even sets, does it actually convert 1:1?
  • Options
    dehydration definitely raises the heart rate.
  • Options
    Generally I run even sets pace wise as the HR drifts up 5bpm. I tends to go up quite a lot in the last set.

Take a look at SiT's post on the daily thread for an aerobic monster!
  • Options
    True Spud, as does heat.
  • Options
    BR - Just saw it, hence he slowly works on the LT. 3x 20 minutes, I guess that's 10m pace. How does the session convert into %MaxHR? 82-85%?
  • Options
    In my case, I have done this session at 160-165, 165-170, 170-175 and 174-177. Max HR is 200.
  • Options
    BR, Tom, URR. Many thanks - it makes sense that heat, dehydration and lack of glycogen/carbs, individually or in a combination, means that your heart works harder. I think 5 beats drift is reasonable too - in fact I reckon that that is about my range of drift even on a long run (always difficult to fully gauge on an undulating course). I think perhaps the conditions today were against me in terms of heat and possibly dehydration and so the 10 beats I experienced was unusual. I may have been more tired too.
    Sorry to be a numpty Grumpy here - but what do you guys mean by "even sets" ??
    When I get time I will sit religiously and read MMs full account of the subject to see if I can make full sense of it all. In the mean time I am grateful for advice and will let you guys have your thread back - well for the time being anyway !??
  • Options
    Sorry Spud - forgot to thank you too !
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR, I'm sorry but I'm not convinced by your arguement. If we can go straight to the 85% level and can train to that by eliminating cardiac drift, why should the corresponding pace be lower. There isn't any evidence to substantiate this - surely it's simply conjecture. It's no stronger an arguement than the naive hypothesis I put up in response to Bryans posting.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    MM thanks for guiding me to the Swain Abstract. As you righly show, the relation between VO2max and MHR is linear. I would assume that once you get beyond the VO2 max level that corresponds to lactic threshold that relation ship would not be linear.

This Swain relationship isn't universal is it? MHR declines with age, VO2max can be increased with training as can lactate threshold. If this relationship is dependant on the individual, it becomes very difficult for the individual to estimate his HR which corresponds to a 70% of VO2 (the recommended starting point for base training). Hadd gets round this by using yet another rule of thumb, MHR less 50bpm (or is it actually 193 - 50 bpm), hardly scientific.

The other problem in the relationship between MHR and VO2max is that we may fall into the trap that they are synonymous with each other. Vo2max does not occure at MHR either. There certainly seem to be a lot of base trainers who train at an "entry level" of 70% of MHR, whereas Hadd quotes the optimum from the published literature as being 70% VO2max, but actually recommends an actual HR of MHR minus 50. Or to put an other way, where did the 70% of MHR come from?
  • Options
    URR

The 3x 5km pace at 160-165 at the moment would be something close to expected mara pace plus 20 secs per km me so way slower than 10 mile pace. Will begin now to increase hr I am doing these at until am completely comfortable at mara pace and then move to 4 x 5km and then begin on shorter more intense stuff.

Simon