Base Training Revisited

Comments

• In order to avoid cardiac drift should you not work on the cardiac stroke volume? My understanding is that interval training provides the stimulus to strengthen and expand heart stroke volume.

Maybe MM can clarify the point.
  • If cardiac drift occurs as a result of heat, dehydration, tiredness, illness and lack of glycogen - then I believe that these are not indicators of fitness. Therefore to say that you shouldn't move on in the next stage of a training regime on the basis of not being able to control cardiac drift (not being fit enough), appears to be wrong.

• New to this thread. I happened to read the Hadd stuff last night for the first time. I didn't look too much at the scientifics just the theories. I can't comment on the scientific stuff as I'm pretty clueless (I'd could give you chapter and verse about how payroll works but that isn't much help here!)

It is all very interesting but for someone as new to all of this as me, it is also very confusing - I've been doing BT for only 4 weeks in total

The cardiac drift stuff I can understand and identify with - one question about this - is you get a drift of up to 5bpm - do you carry on running at this level or try and slow down to reduce HR?

I do 99% of my training in the gym as it comfortable, and safe - I've no training partner and wouldn't feel too happy trotting round in the dark on my own - anyway I need to get my money's worth out of my gym membership.
  • Captain - if you're going into a work session dehydrated / tired / ill / low on glycogen, you might as well not bother as you will not get the intended training effect.

You are right - your HR will drift out of the right area and you'll be producing more lactate than intended so won't be training your body to mop it up at that HR intensity.
  • BR
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Id never fecking run mate

im permanently tired
  • BR - yes of course you are right on that score - but I think you miss my point about the fact that they are not indicators of fitness, and therefore should drift that is attributable to these factors be ignored in terms of assessing readiness to move on to the next training level.
    I, and I bet loads of others, train with less than the optimum of all these variables.
  • exactly Grumpy
    But i suppose, if you do aerobically conditon yourself, then your body copes better with these variables?
  • Captain - I agree that you can ascribe one or two bad sessions to these factors and that drift due to them does not indicate your overall fitness.

However if it is happening consistently you need to look at other aspects of your lifestyle (as I have recently) such as diet, sleep and water intake.
  • and what if you cant change them
  • You do the best you can in the circumstances. There's things I wish I could change about my life from the point of view of running, but I do what I can to minimise their negative effects.
  • Hippo and BR

I take all of what you say - but as you point out BR - these are lifestyle type issues that are affecting your performance in HR terms and not necessarily your (not you personally) fitness. As Hippo rightly says - ability to cope with lower levels of hydration, tiredness, glycogen etc may be an indicator of fitness, but actually the essence of the "drift" concept is based around fitness in running (aerobic or anearobic) not fitness in the periphary contributers (lifetsyle) such as tiredness, hydrations et al.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR and URR. I haven't been able to get onto the thread for a couple of days, hence my delay in responding to your postings on cardiac drift.

I'm sorry, but your arguements don't sound convincing (to me anyway!). If cardiac drift effects stroke volume, what adverse effect is that going to have on latic threshold. If you're running at 70%MHR (equivalent to 50% Vo2max, a pace which MM rightly identifies asas being below the lower level of the range of "rat" intensities studied by Dudley) and LT is 90%MHR (ie 83% VO2max), that represents an enormous amount of drift required before we're borrowing (to use a Hadd phrase) from our anaerobic energy sources.

Furthermore why does cardiac stability at 50% VO2max make it easier to get the same stability at 83% VO2max. Why don't I do what Daniels suggests, and run threshold paced runs at 83% VO2max and attempt to control cardiac drift at this pace. The slow pace running doesn't seem relevant.

Finally on reviewing the thread, neither of you have responded to MM's point about the Hadd recommended lower level of pace being set at 50% VO2max. I did suggest that a lot of base trainers don't appreciate the difference between 70% MHR (equivalent to 50% VO2max) and 70% VO2 max. They're quite happy running at 70%MHR, which is nice and slow, whereas based on MM's analysis of Dudley they should be running at 70% VO2max which is equivalent 82% of MHR. At that sort of pace, which is fairly close to LT of 92% MHR, controling cardiac drift is relevant.

What do you think guys - or am I just talking rubbish?
  • Tom

I think I will need to go and look at detail the relationship between VO2 Max and HR - but there appears to be some sense in what you say -

Does that mean that all those 70% MHR runs I have done for the last 3 months have been in vain to improve ?? In which case the Compleat Idiots guide to HR Training is seriously wrong !?!?

I would be happy to train at 82% MHR but then I would be breathing much heavier (i.e. beyond the recommended conversational pace for slow runs (long or recovery)) ?????
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Captain, no the 70% MHR run's weren't in vain, but you would probably have got a bit more benefit if you had allowed them to speed up to 75% MHR. The point I'm trying to make, when I question Hadd's philosophy, is that we shouldn't deliberatly try to run slowly to control cardiac drift, we should naturally allow our pace rise as we get fitter. Obviously a new comer shouldn't jump straight in at 82%MHR, but by starting slowly I would expect them to get up to 83% a bit quicker than if they were constrained by cardiac drift. I always quote Daniels (Daniels again - boring!!!!) who recomends threshold pace runs at 90%MHR (83% VO2max) to have the optimum effect on lactic threshold. However he does recomend that the didstance of these runs be 3-4 miles, or conversely 2 x 1.5 - 2 miles with 5-6 minute recovery.

I think we're a bit guilty of allowing the heart rate monitor to rule how we train. We need to be able to develop a feeling for the pace we run at, rather than rely on the HR monitor to tell us. Before they were available, generations of runners got along OK without them.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Conversational pace. As a personal point of view, I think that conversational pace is too slow. I don't there is any harm in getting out of breath when running, but obviously that may not suit everybody.

Obviously you shouldn't run to exhaustion every time you train, but I do think (personal opinion only) that when you've been for a run, you should know about it.
  • Tom
    Im a BIG fan of running to feel

But i want to run every day, so isnt keeping it at conversational pace about being ABLE to run every day
  • and i cant run at the 70%
    Id be walking

so maybe im doing the 82%

time for a max HR test
  • Tom,
    As Hipps says, it's about being able to run every day. If you look at the paces Hadd suggests he does have 83% runs in there, but the recovery runs are at 70-75%. It's all about compromise. We'd all like to go out and run 85-90% runs all the time, but we'd soon get injured, particularly if pushing up to 60 or 70 miles/week.
  • Tom, I feel we are going round in circles here. I have outlined why I believe Hadd's system works. It has worked with me and with dozens of other runners I know. To me, the cardiac drift thing makes perfect sense.

As you know, I don't have to scientific knowledge to explain fully how it works but the theory as outlined by Hadd and the application as practised by me and others produces results.

You obviously reach a high standard by doing your tried and trusted methods. I was not reaching the standards I wanted with my methods so applied Hadd's methods. I am running better now than I was (which you may well argue I would have done anyway but I doubt as I had definitely plateaued).

Hadd says it is ONE approach to distance training. It works for many many runners. Other approaches work for other runners. You, MM and others have eloquently explained your reservations with the approach. I have tried to explain its benefits as best I can, but I think we are in danger of making the same points over and over in different ways.

I shall continue to follow the thread with interest and post if I feel I have anything new to add to the discussion, but at present I cannot explain the approach any better than I have tried to already.
  • BR - As far as I understand you are supervised and guided by Hadd. Will you stick to 70% (sub optimal) or 82% (optimal) recommendation? Has your coach a position on the subject?

Following your training, you haven't been too rigerous about slow running as Pantman, who did huge volumes of slow running. I guess, in your case it was more in between. Make sense?
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR, I do take your point. It IS about adopting the system that suits you best, its NOT about counting how many angels you can get on a pin head. Providing we train within the generally agreed aerobic range, and that training is consistant and progressive we should continue to improve.

Susie: I do have views on this, which may not accord with your own. However as BR says, my simply reiterating them isn't going to move the discussion forward. I do recognise however that what suits me, may not be applicable to everybody (anybody!!).

• I generally stick to 70% in the morning and 73-75% in the evenings unless it is a specific work session, when it can be anything from 80% up to 87% for most marathon preparation, or to pace for 10k / HM training.

As I understood it, when I first read the major Hadd post on LR, I was at a reasonable standard, and still wanted to race XC etc. last winter. The more I've run since then the more selective I have become about how and why I race, so I can get more benefits out of the training.

Others started from a different level of fitness.
  • BR,
    I don't dispute the fact that you have made significant improvements in your race times and that you attribute these improvements to incorporating Hadd's methods into your training approach. Indeed, in my first set of posts when I pointed out that Hadd's interpretation of the data in the Dudley et al., paper was flawed I followed this by stating that "this by no means indicates that base training is necessarily ineffective".

All I was looking for was an admission that Hadd was mistaken when he stated that "And the best way to cause improvements in slow-twitch fibres was to run long and slow at 70% VO2max (adaptation began from as low as 50% VO2max pace). Faster was not better" on the basis of the data in the Dudley et al., paper.

I was just looking for someone, anyone, who follows Hadd's approach to at least entertain the possibility that Hadd incorrectly interpreted published findings.
  • Tom

I think you may be right about 75% - I have seen this figure before in other opinionated HR regimes. I reckon I am at my most comfortable at a mildly short of breath and 75% MHR rate anyway - 70% always feels a bit stinted and below (as you point out) the threshold where we feel like we have been for a run.

That said - I ran 12 miles today at on average (I think) 125 BPM (about 72% MHR for me) in 1.54 and felt pretty good. This compared say to my previous 1/2 marathon best of 1.55 suggests that this long easy run is now just short of my PB for the distance, where prior to controlled HR training I was not seeing any improvement at all - and then I was clearly running at 85 - 90% MHR on all of my runs (long or short).
  • Now post a link showing that a 5.25 hour marathoner can improve
  • Should we tell him that his training was based on a misinterpretation?
  • I think you ARE him URR
    i wouldnt put it past you;)