I almost hope I DON'T get in now!

I've realised today that, although I could get the last day of our Easter training camp off to do the FLM, I also have to visit the Expo to collect number, etc. I will not be able to secure time off to do this, specially as I'll probably be about 300 miles away from London!

Unless there's any other way of getting it, I'm going to be stuck! Can anyone tell me whether 1. you can get your number/chip/etc. by any other way than visiting the Smoke, or 2. if not, can you "give" your acceptance to someone else?

Comments

• know idea about getting your details but I do know you can't transfer your entry to someone else
  • Had the same problem last year - wrote a letter of permission for someone to pick up on my behalf and I believe the organisers then check your signature on the letter corresponds with your entry. So - if you know someone else who is running there should be a way of them collecting everything for you. Of course, don't forget to make arrangements to collect from them!!
  • What is this? Have I missed something? Do they not post your numbers out, and if not, why not?

Surely they don't expect 30,000 to bear the expense of going to London? How environmentally unfriendly.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Martyn is correct,you can authorise someone to collect the number for you.
    Phillip R , you can register on the Saturday before, I think the FLM organisers (rightly IMHO) assume that everyone will be in London by then.

Spoke to some club runners at the expo this year, and they send one gopher down to collect a whole batch of numbers for their club, who had organised a coach on the Sunday morning.
  • No Phillip, the numbers are not posted, you (or an authorised representative) have to appear at the Expo in person to pick up your running number, kit bag, and chip.
  • And buy lots of gear as Oracle said! come on, you crazy capitalist kids, get with the FLM "program" and sort yourself out with some OFFICIAL merchandise!

(rolls eyes at the thought)

Almost glad I can't go now...
  • Oracle, please can't you put the happy flag up for once.
  • Oracle, due to the dimensions of the image space allotted by RW having the Union Flag the right way up would mean either grossly distorting it, or shrinking it. Neither of which (when I tried them) looked as good as the present solution, so I stuck to it.
  • The exhibition was really good I thought last year - lots of things to spend money on. Didn't buy any official kit though, as too pricey. Got bargains on trainers and other bits 'n pieces though.

Isn't it on from Wednesday on to Saturday though ? Dunno if that helps anyone that might have a tenuous business reason for being in London that week ?
  • I didn't realise this was all such hard work....collecting stuff from an expo indeed. Next thing people'll be saying we have to train or something?!?
    Hoping I'll have some tenuous business in London that week (tenuous in the sense that all my accounts are in the North of England...oh well!)
  • H. Pretend one of your accounts is also a runner, and they have to go to London to collect their entry stuff, so you might as well meet them there - for a Hi5 ?
  • Good plan Cougie!
    Fact is none of my accounts could even run a bath so that may be out but I'll think of something.
  • The club solution with people picking up a whole load of numbers at once has been abolished this year. Each runner can only pick up their own number and one other. That makes it all a real pain as even more people will have to go to the exhibition, which does take ages if you have to go in an evening or on the Saturday as the queues get really long. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
  • I'm new to this thing too. Got a charity place. What happens now?
  • The expo is the worst thing about the FLM in my view. You have to get over to the middle of nowhere, somewhere in Docklands, just to pick up your number. For people who live a long distance out, and who are planning to spend the weekend down there, it's not so bad, but if you live in the home counties, or are planning to travel to London early on the day of the race, it's a real imposition. Last year I drove down from Bristol on the Friday and didn't get there in time, so had to drive back and repeat early on the Saturday, then do it all again for the race on Sunday (though admittedly I was staying in Reading the night before, so it wasn't so bad.)

It really was a terrible inconvenience, and cost me god-knows-what in petrol and train fares.

Andy
  • The first time I did it I drove to the expo, (never again, driving in London is a definate no, no). The last time I took the train, One day travelcard. You can take the docklands light railway right to the door of the expo with that. But both times I have booked a week and a half holiday from work, half a week before the marathon so I can pick up my number on the Wednesday before it gets busy, and a week after the marathon to get over it.

Didn't get in this year, but hope that will just help my application for next year. Maybe see some of you at the London Half Marathon or Hastings in March.
  • If they really do ask how much you've raised for chariy, I will remind them that it's a running event - not an excuse to screw some cash out of your mates just so you can give it away! (even if that is what I'm doing)
  • DUstin - what possible reason would a lot of people have for wanting to be in London on the Saturday?

Personally I'd rather stay in my nice comfy (hard) bed rather than risk of getting backache from some too-soft hotel bed.

I only live 30 miles away from London, so certainly don't intend staying in London all weekend (my wife would go mad with the shopping!), but travelling in to London to pick up chips etc does seem rather pointless. I'd rather pay extra for p&p and get them sent out - probably cheaper than getting to Docklands - and far less hassle.