adidas Flora London Half-Marathon

Comments

• Plenty of people will take more than 3 hours. The average "deep plod" time is about 2:30.

Two hours is actaully pretty decent!
  • i have like everyone else put in the application form and i have not heard a thing from the FLM and i was wondering if anyone else has not heard anything from FLM. If i do not hear anything HOW do i go about contacting these people to find out IF I AM its NERVE RACKING NOT KNOWING if i am in or NOT

Regards Martin
  • You should hear pretty soon Medic. I got my entry a week ago and I know other people have started getting rejections yesterday.
  • Medic One - the FLM official website says everyone should know by 13th December, after that you can call a helpline number (sorry, I haven't got the webpage details to hand because I read this earlier). Any problems though I'm sure someone will post it for you?
  • it always amazes me when people say its flat!!!!!! undulating i would say. the firsf 2 1/2 are gradual down hill, then there are flat areas with undulations that catch you out because you cant see them for all the entrants, then the last 2 1/2 are gradual up hill. parts of track too narrow and corners too sharp as you are at a stand still at times. i,m not knocking it as i,m doing it again this yr but a few tweaks would help make it better..
  • I am a very new half marathon runner (well this will be my first)

I am hoping to run the Virginia Beach Half in September next year, to date I have only done 3 10Ks, currently running about 15miles per week, does anyone think that this is too far, and should I wait another few months?

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • it's the flattest half i've run.
  • Steven, if you are doing 10ks already you should have no problem training up for a half by september.

Ed, I agree, flattest half i've run by a long way.

• been away for a while.....busy pounding the streets!
    Getting excited about the 1/2 now with all the discussion...especially if it is flat!
    Being newish to this running lark, just wondered whether anyone else gets this problem.....
    OK whilst running but as soon as I stop I get pain in both knees and they seem to seize up and dont want to go again! Therefore just have to keep running!!!!.........Anyone else get this or know how to help?
    Ta muchly
  • Hi Lucy,

Never had anything quite like that, but often knee problems can be linked to the illiotibial band....make sure you stretch it well on each leg before running. Another thing to try is cod liver oil capsules if you are running lots.

• Thanks JohnB (nice photo!)
    How do I stretch my i.t band??
    Am taking glucosamine, but will add cod liver oil too, feeling a bit desperate!!!
    Thanks for advice
  • The ITB stretch is a bit of a fiddly one. Stand next to a wall so you can touch the wall with a bent arm. Put the leg closest to the wall behind the other one, and the hand furthest from the wall on the furthest hip. Bend the hip nearest the wall into the wall. You should feel the stretch across the hip and down the side of the thigh. Difficult to describe so it might be worth checking out a book with pictures.

• yup.. notoriously difficult to do to yourself.

i had a physio do it via some very compromising positions.
  • Hi JohnB and ed_m
    Thanks for your help re.i-t band, I can see that I need to try put some compromising positions against a wall........! Will do so tonight and let you know how it goes....
  • Lucy, I was clearing out last night and found Runners World from October. Its got an article on knee injuries with good illustrations of the ITB stretch and some knee strengthening exercises if you can find a copy of it
  • Thanks JohnB, I will have it somewhere - I'll go and have a rumage.....
    Have a great Christmas
  • Ran this back in 2003, prior to the Shakespeare Marathon (my first... 1/2 and full marathons!)

Silverstone is very fast!!

Its also a nightmare to get in!! Arrive Early, I aimed to arrive ~30-45minutes early and arrived on the off (with girlfriend parking car*) fortunately the start was put back 30mins! Not a problem leaving - but I was round in 1:36.

Will be doing it again this year.

If anyone wants a lift I'm coming from Birmingham (M6, M1)... I don't mind picking up from junctions (no axe murders please)

* I jumped out, she got in my seat and stalled - she couldn't reach the peddles!!
  • I will be there as i have been for the past 2yrs, the best 1/2m of the year in my book, (yes I am an F1 nut) still hold my 1/2m PB from 2003 just missed it last year, going for a 5 min reduction this year

advice-get there early at least 1-1.5hrs then you get a good parking place,

if you are not in a hurry to get home, as you leave the carpark turn left(the opp way to 99% of people, and go have a pub lunch in Stowe village.

as for spectators my mate came with me last year and saw me at the start and again at 3m, 6m, 9.5m and at the finish.

if anyone need info on how this is possible just mail me and i will let you know (and its all an easy walk for the spectators)
  • ey up you lot ive entered for the 1st time , when should all info come through etc, am thinking that this is going to be a good PB chance, down to 1 .26 on a quite hilly course so what should i expect from this, anyone had a PB on it
  • Darren - I got my PB @ Silverstone.... Well, I had too! It was my first half ;-)

Silverstone is a racing circuit - hence it is probably the flatest race you will ever enter! I would say a PB is definetely on the cards.
  • cheers smythe im thinking of going round with run world 1.25 pace group if they are having pacing groups there
  • hmmm, they did the first year.
  • Darren.
    The RW pacers have been there both the previous 2 yrs, and I expect they will be there this year. If you are aiming for 1.25 I sugest you start of with the sub1.30 pacer the go for it as you re-enter the cicuit for the final 3 miles(or earlier if you feel its right to do so). I did my PB running with the sub1.45 pacer then kicked on early as i felt so good @ 5m and the pacer was great and told me to go so I did (thanks Sean from RW)
  • Right, that is it, I think I have finally lost my mind. I'm in ... so that's Longleat 10k, Reading 1/2, Silverstone 1/2, Shakespear Marathon (yup another FLM reject). No more, must stop it ... hmmm ... gap on 20th March ... Milton Keynes, Fleet or Sutton Park 20 ...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! Bl@@dy New Year resolutions!
  • well if they're looking for pacers i could come and do a suitably genteel pace....

pus, are they dong the 20mile training run in sutton park again? whats the date ?
  • Provisional date is 20 March however as posted on the related thread, to be confirmed in a marathon newsletter in december (oops they are a bit late) - will need to sign up as limited to 600. Will post once I know more (after I have signed up myself obviously!!)
  • ah, same weekend as MK half... bugger
  • Bagpus, there is a 'nice' hill - which you'll have the pleasure of running up twice, over the two laps - @ Shakespear Marathon....

Adjust your pace accordingly, do not do what I did - think 'I can make up for lost time......' and realise that I had destroyed myself my ~20mile mark!
  • Would you guys make up your mind!

Reading or Silverstone? Does anyone make squealing sounds on the corners?

Also, can someone advise on approx travelling time to either from Clapham?

Half of me wants a PB but I don't like long straights