Options

adidas Flora Liverpool Half Marathon

I have only been running for a year and have ran in several 10k's. I am averaging a time of approx 46 mins and I am nervously contemplating stepping up to a half marathon.

Does anyone have any training advice or advice on how a new comer should approach a 13 mile run?

Comments

• Options
    Loads of training plans on here - look under the training tab at the top. 46 mins is a very respectable time !

Basically keep doing what you're doing, and add a little bit onto your long runs. Gradually though.
  • Options
    I only started in April and have done only one 10k race and one 10 mile race. I too have signed up for this half marathon. My view is if I can do a 10 mile run in a reasonable time (1:16) and not feel too bad I should be able to do 13.1 miles. So I am doing more 10 milers (Guy’s 10 on Sunday). I am also doing a few more races this year (Longridge 7 and the Ribble Valley 10k.)

I have also signed up for the 4 village half and the Great North West Half in 2005 but I must admit the Liverpool sounds like it could be a great run. I expect lots of runners, it’s traffic free and there is likely to be lots of people watching. It could be fun.

By the way 46 minutes sounds like an excellent time. I managed 50 minutes on the 10k I did and I was chuffed with that. Nice one.
  • Options
    I've entered this too - expecting a great day out!

Started running again about 3 months ago and have completed a couple of 10k's including the Wesham 10 in 47:49. Not sure what to aim for really - my last 1/2 marathon was in 1982 (I was 15) when I ran just under 90 minutes.

I don't have the time to fit in long runs but have been running 4-8k 3 times a week, cycling a fair bit and fitting in hillwalking whenever there's a decent day for it. I might well need to add some long runs to the schedule but I've no idea where they're going to fit in to my life!
  • Options
    I have also entered the L'pool half. I have done 3 half marathons , 2 Wilmslow halves and 1 Four Villages half. For both the Wilmslow's I used a schedule I got from onrunning.com, devised by Peter Elliott. It worked for me and before I did Wilmslow last year I had only ever ran 10k's.

I would just say go for it, but respect the distance and don't go off too quickly, stick to a schedule and have a goal time in mind.
    46 mins for a 10k is excellent, my pb is 50.47.
  • Options
    I have entered this race done 2 half marathons before, Blackpool and Nottingham.Did 1hr 47min at Blackpool.Suppose this will be busy so not the best for a good time.(Did Great Manchester Run found it difficult weaving through crowds, good day out though)
  • Options
    Erm Flatters - I think you ran your 10 miler at a faster speed than your 10k ?
  • Options
    That's correct Cougie. 8 minute miles for the 10k and 7.6 minute miles for the 10 miles. I did not have a watch on for the 10k and just went with the flow. It was the Chester Zoo run, which I think you also ran, which was a slow and crowded start. For the 10 miler I did have a watch on and checked my times at the mile markers. I had a time in mind so I did push it a bit.

• Options
    I've entered the Liverpool Half.
  • Options
    Blimey - that is good work Flatters. Yeah - the Zoo was a tad crowded wasn't it.

Excellent work FF. I've not committed yet.
  • Options
    Just entered this. Never done a half before. Can run a 52 minute 10K. Is 2 hours a reasonable target?
  • Options
    Sounds reasonable for you Pete. 2 hours is a good time.
  • Options
    Just entered this.

I did the Liverpool half back in October this year and managed 1 hour 47 mins and was dead chuffed - not bad for a 6 foot 5 overweight scotsman!!! Its a great race apart from the hill around 2 miles.

Anyway, is it possible to get entry forms for this race or is it purely on-line entry?

Any ideas folk?

PS - Just completed the New York Marathon a few weeks ago and still on high. Trust me once you run a hlaf marathon everyone will soon be wanting to do a marathon. Greatest feeling in the world to complete one!!!
  • Options
    Cheers Cougie,

Time to up the mileage now then as you advised earlier. Good to have something to aim for through the dark nights.
  • Options
    I’ve entered this event. This is my first running event; any tips would be gratefully received.
  • Options
    Just got knocked back from London so have entered the liverpool half as a consolation, sounds like a good do.
  • Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=107

Some training plans for you guys.

cougies top tip this week though - if it's icy - don't risk a fall by running outside. Use a treadmill a ta a gym if you can.
  • Options
    Just entered this one. Done the great north twice and just done Llandudno 10. If you keep 10 milers under your belt you should have no problem stepping up to the half. By the way does anybody know the route for this one.
  • Options
    All I know is it starts at the docks and finishes at Sefton Park - that's if it's same as other years.

I can't remember the bits in between as it hurt badly, but was all worth it - have a photo of me at end with massive grin on my face as knocked 11 mins off my pb, finishing in 95 mins - 4th over 35 oldie!

Anyone wavering about entering - I can recommend it thoroughly. And at £15, plus services of Runners' World pacers, it's a damn site better bargain than the Great North ripoff at £64!!

And get there early to beat the traffic, which caused me to miss it in 2003.
  • Options
    I have just been told that apparently the route starts and finishes in Sefton Park. It covers the roads around it but it is traffic free. The people that have been accepted for London have been given details of the L'pool half course as it's also a Flora race.

Pete, when I ran my first half last year that was my target time and I trained at 9 minute mile pace and got 1.57.45 on the day. Bang on 9 min miles.

The Big Yin, here is the website for all the Liverpool and surrounding areas.
    www.runliverpool.org.uk
  • Options
    is his this the same course as the half in ocober (l1310k)
  • Options
    That sounds like the target for me then plodder. Then again, after running in the fog last night maybe I should be aiming for 2.30. Anyone else struggled running in fog before? I just couldn't seem to get enough air in. Wish I had a treadmill on these winter nights!
  • Options
    It was cold and foggy running around St Helens last night. Come to think of it Pete, I struggled a bit but I put it down to the 6 mince pies I'd eaten earlier on. I seemed to have a rather good cough when I'd finished as well.
  • Options
    I did the LIverpool 10k earlier this year and we started off at the ALbert Dock - towards the Dock Road then came back on our selves. We then ran up Parliament Street (which is very steep) then towards Sefton Park. The 13 milers then ran down Aigburth Road and returned to Sefton Park.

The only thing I didnt like about the race was that it was poorly organised. The distance was only marked in miles which was bad for us 10 k runners. Also, they hadnt closed the roads off completely so there was traffic stalled on one side of the road which caused a bit of concern.

I just hope that Flora manage to organise it a bit better.

All I can advise, is that Parliament Street needs to be respected if it is on the course as it is steep and quite long.
  • Options
    They seem to be looking at 10,000 runners which means they must close the roads. I think if it's the same people who do the London Marathon it will be very well organised.

FF only 6 mince pies, are you dieting?
  • Options
    I went down the track last night in Warrington and you couldn't see the end of the hundred metres straight for the fog. The track had frost on it so we never went eyes out.

Sweep, no it's a completely different course.
  • Options
    Whats the course then wrr?

I'll give it a try next week.
  • Options
    My first half-marathon, and in my home town to boot! Hurrah!

I'm gonna do it in less than 2 hours - oh yes, yes, yes. I am. Definately.
  • Options
    Plodder, I've never seen you go eyes out even when it's not foggy!

I've been trying to find out how to enter this race but the link on the FLM website won't open, does anyone know where I can get a form from?
  • Options
    I could not see any form to print and send, only online entries. My entry went through Runner World rather than the Flora site.
  • Options
    I followed that too Flatters - only to come back to the RW entry site ! Funny !

I don't reckon they have a map up yet. But if its start and finish in Sefton Park, then I wonder if they have finalised it yet ?