Options

Thursday Session - 28 November

2»

Comments

• Options
    Wild Will - good luck. M
  • Options
    Laura - I'm extremely impressed that you remember but more pleased that its improved your running.

• Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Martin, the training thread has opened up many interesting and extremely useful discussions. I'll second Laura on thanking you for starting it all off.
  • Options
    What: Flying 5km session - didn't lace shoes properly

Why: wanted to remember what shin-splints felt like

why: ow ow ow oooooooowwww

last hard; ouch not sure my kneee works anymore

last rest:P tuesday & wednesday (slacker)
  • Options
    Oh and i love this thread...

Thanks Laura
  • Options
    Laura, Achilles, you are both cruel and an unkind to our friend…but also very funny, so don’t stop! Oh and yes I agree with you about the motivational aspect of “fessing up” – well done MartinH – hope the knee’s responding.

Came back on to post the disappointing outcome of my session: well I went for the treadmill torture session and planned 12 x 400m. Having done a 10k 10days ago at 6:50miling, and 6x800m at 6:26 miling 2 weeks ago I wanted to push this so teed myself up for pacing the intervals at 6:15.

Oh dear

I new it was wrong after the first one and after the second I’d hit 95% HR and therefore managed 3 at planned pace, I managed 3 more at a bit slower (6:30 pace) before I concluded that one more would have had me throwing up over the treadmill. Pride dented I retired to a 20 minute cycle. nOt even 505 of plan achieved.

Had I pushed the pace up to fast – probably but any comments welcome.
  • Options
    Achilles,
    looks like a good workout but Drew is still going to kick my arse at the Keyworth Turkey Trot on the 8th Dec!!!

Feeling better now having celebrated Thanksgiving (with my American wife) with a bottle of bubbly and a couple of lagers.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that by chance I ran into on of the other chaps who usually does the club fartlek run on Tuesday night down at the track today. I felt like I was moving quite well until he started his pyramid session, don't know about the other splits but he was doing his 300m repeats in 51 sec!!!!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Evening all-very impressed with these speed sessions. I quite fancy doing the 10k distance on the track @ 5k and marathon pace. Might try it next week. Is it a good idea though to do this workout the week of a 10k race?

Laura-you should get a pb, good luck and GO FOR IT!!

What: 7 miles incorporating 8x 3mins @ 5k pace followed by 3 mins steady pace.
    Why: weekly speed session and didn't want to do too hard a session because of racing this weekend.
    Last hard: tonight
    Last rest: yesterday from running.
  • Options
    Hilly - I don't know MM's view, but I'd say if you haven't tried it yet, don't jump into it the week of a 10K. I think you'd regret it! good luck with the race.
  • Options
    Thank God the nearest track's more than 10 miles away. Otherwise....

Short acceleration run (3.85 miles) as promised - 1st mile 7:00 pace; last one at 6:00 pace - or would have been, but I wimped out of the last 1/3 mile - decided I was on the verge of taking too much out of myself before tomorrow.
    Actually felt q good as a result at the end, having started off feeling very lethargic.

However, that key session (8 miles+ @ 6:30 pace) awaits tomorrow.....

Laura - you've been working hard - you deserve that PB.