Forerunner 301

Comments

• I've given my Polar HRM to my daughter and I am very pleased with the 301. It is very easy to navigate through the menus and most are self explanatory. The manual is not quite as comprehansive as I would like. For example you can display grade as a % - but what does it mean? My main niggle is with the software. When you download to the PC it always downloads every run from the 301's memory, even the ones you downloaded before. I am finding that this corrupts the previous runs by adding in extra laps. There is no save as facility in the software so you cannot save a backup file. It seems I may have to delete a run from the 301 that I have already downloaded so that it cannot download again.
    The graphs the software produces are excellent, but it would be nice to be able to print them so you can compare performances on the same route, more easily.
    As I said, these are just niggles. The whole bundle is excellent. Although I had to justify the purchase on the grounds of simultaneously having a birthday and some back-pay.
  • Mine doesn't do that it just downloads the highlighted days run (I think) as I've never had any extra laps on runs already done
  • HJ.. i've not found that problem with the software.
  • HonitonJohn, I have the same gripe about not being able to print or save workouts or back-up workouts to cd. However in the box with my 301 came a flyer for www.motionbased.com. It's possible to subscribe to this website at no cost, and up-load workouts to it and export from it (so they say). That may be a way round the back-up/archiving problem.

It is a real pain not being able to print though, you can't even copy and paste the graphs!
  • Thanks for the replies. I must have another look at the downloading.
    One way round the printing Jelly Bean, is to press the prt scr key on your keyboard. This captures the whole display to the clipboard. You can then paste into WORD or other program and use the crop tool from the picture toolbar to get rid of all but the graph. A bit long-winded but it works.
  • Jelly Bean mentioned MotionBased earlier. I've now been to their website and downloaded their "agent" (despite the fact that the UK is not currently supported). I had hoped there might be some limited functionality but when you try to upload activities to MotionBased it discards them because they relate to an unsupported country.

Looks like we'll have to make do with the Training Centre software for now.
  • I was wondering about the d/loading problem - I'd like it to only download runs that aren't already on the PC.
  • I just got mine(301)from Canada at www.prairie.mb.ca for £146 inc P&P + Insurance Unfortunately even though it had 'gift' marked up I still got charged £35 Vat by postie, but it still is cheaper that you can get it in the UK. The base price in Canada was about £128!
    It works fine, and as someone else said on another link you can charge it up on the USB cable, or just get a UK-US plug adapter -it states in the guide that it can handle 110-240v

• Is the charger the same on the 301 and the 201. I have lost my 201 charger and thought that if I bought a 301 ....
  • Does anyone know if the 301 has standalone heart rate monitor that can be used in the gym/other places where there won't be strong enough signals?
  • Yes, you can turn off the GPS and just use the heart rate monitor.
  • Hi Dave Simmons2,
    the prairie site is really cheap, but how much did you pay for carriage? Did they add on any hidden extras?

Thanks,
    Giles
  • Just come back from the Rome marathon, a bit cheesed off with the 301. At 9k it read 6 miles and by 41k it showed 26.4 miles. The pace was all over the place down to 7.06 (which it wasn't) and the heart rate monitor worked intermittantly.

Another runner with a 201 recorded 26.3 at the finish which is what one would expect. I can see how a loss of reception can give a lower reading of distance between 2 points but not how an over measurement can occur.

Before I get onto Garmin about this, has anyone got any idea how this can happen?
  • you didnt run the shortest line?

positional error is pretty much random but it could have accumulated in a funny way.

you're going to complain to garmin about 99% accuracy?
  • ed m, 41k = 25.48 miles that's 0.92 miles out at 41k. 9k = 5.59 miles, 6 miles is 0.41 miles more, even running a longer line I'd be hard pressed to add 0.41 miles in so short a distance! An addition of 0.41 miles after just 5.59 miles is a little more than 1% out, is it not?

Running a longer line doesn't account for the pace inaccuracy or the failure of the hrm. How does another runner using the same satelites get a different and relatively accurate result?

I set the 301 up for a run of 26.4 miles to allow for both inaccuracy and running a longer line. I expected to stop the workout on the line with a little to spare, it completed the workout at 41k.

I ran a half 2 weeks ago and completed the 13.1 miles 30 seconds from the line. at my pace that equates to roughly 0.045 of a mile before the finish. It's not unreasonable to expect twice the discrepancy at twice the distance but 15 times as much is not on. This equates to 6-7 minutes out at the end of a marathon!

The 301 is supposed to be a pacing and measuring tool if it can't do either consistently it's useless.
  • ...my mistake i thought a marathon was 42+km.

"How does another runner using the same satelites get a different and relatively accurate result?"

ermm.. quite easily?
  • do you have the log to send them?
  • Just looked at the canadian site Dvae was on a aout 201 £76 +p&p
  • my spelling gone wrong
  • Right. Ed at 41k the 301 said 26.4 miles had been covered. 41k is 25.48 miles. Thats a difference of 0.92 miles. Does that make sense? Read it again!

Ok. How does another runner get a different distance recorded by as much as 0.82 miles ed, 0.1 maybe? Well how? Running line won't account for that sort of difference.

Yes I've got the log.
  • I sometimes get recorded distances with mine in excess of actual distance.

If you look at the recorded route in the training centre, it seems as though the position will sometimes zig-zag around, hsving an inaccurate position when you turn a corner, and then correcting itself when the signal strengthens (if the signal is weak). Either way this results in it thinking you've run a greater distance than you actually have.

For example, the half-marathon I did last w/e was recorded as being 13.4m. This seems to be due to the position jumping around under tree cover.

I think you need to add at least a mile on to the distance you program into the virtual partner to account for this, but obviously this isn't ideal, given that the 301 will still be thinking you're running faster than you actually are...

I guess the differences in recorded distances between runners is probably accounted for by the strength of the signal they get, dependent upon the line they take, or positioning of the forerunner on their body.
  • ah... 96.4%

and each unit has to do its calculations based on the signals its getting at any instant in time, there's no reason two units sat next to each other would be calculating perfectly in sync.
  • I didn't use the virtual partner. Both units were wrist mounted. This was a closed streets race loss of signal would presumably result in extrapolation and a shorter distance being recorded not longer. If there's no signal under tree cover and I accept that that's sometimes the case, then there's no signal so the device should extrapolate surely?

The map is not sufficiently detailed to indicate any anomalies but nothing stands out. Surely the route you run is not matched and corrected to a map, that could lead to massive inaccuracies should a runner go off road for example. What about the hrm, looking at the graph there are periods of 20 mins or more with no signal?

ed why wouldn't two pieces of kit on the same course give similar results? In fact that's exactly what they should do isn't it? What we're talking about is one unit being out by .92 miles at 41k and the other being .1 mile out at 42.195k that's a huge difference is it not. The difference of .41 miles at 9k is 7.3% not 3.6%, that's not an acceptable margin of error. At that rate if one were using the 301 only as a measuring tool you'd be just as accurate stretching a bit of string over a street map!

I would guess that the unit is susceptible to outside interference (although it would have to be a mobile source in this case) which can be the case, especially with power lines or is faulty!

One thing I did notice was that when the unit was turned on it showed 13 hours of power but at the end of four hours of use indicated a low battery. How does that compare with other users experience? Not much use for doing an ironman!
  • Go to

http://www.footy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/forerunner.jpg

and you'll see what I mean - the yellow line is where my 301 thought I was running at the weekend... as you can see, it thinks I was zig-zagging around a fair bit
  • if the battery power dropped that much i guess it was struiggling to find a decent signal.

one other option is that it was picking reflected signals up which would also cock things up.

unless you can show that the two units followed the same route with the satellites in fixed positions and the same amount of blockage from other runners etc its a bit difficult to debate why they read differently.

one thought is that if the signal is poor and the position is zig-zagging, the longer you take the more the accumulated error.. so who took longer to get round?
  • Help needed. I downloaded the new software version yesterday and now the forerunner wont talk to the computer
  • ed the other guy took 13 mins longer we were 4.20 and 4.33 respectively. Half the error seems to be in the first 1/4 of the race although problems with the hrm only start after the first hour. Although the race was obviously bunched in the early stages, we didn't get among the taller buildings until later and for about 5 of the first 10k we were running alongside the river.

I've looked at the graph up close and pace and elevation are all over the place. I think what I need to do is go out on one of my regular routes where I run on the same side of the road consistently and then compare elevation graphs. If there's a serious discrepency between the two then the unit is probably faulty.

footy, I'm still no wiser but I see what you mean...I think.
  • Just for anyone that did not understand my working out from the first message.
    The price of my 301
    The base(shop)price converted from CD$ when I ordered was £128.
    I paid $35CD for postage to the UK which included insurance. So that converted to £146 in total.
    As I said the postie caught me for vat = £35(which you may not get caught for) which took the grand total to £181.
    The customer service was first class, e-mailing me back within the hour each time I had a question.
    Any other questions, e-mail me and I will try and answer them.
    Cheers
    Dave
  • Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    my 301 has just arrived, so I shall be back here with questions no doubt!