Forerunner 301

Comments

• chaps... has anyone with the latest firmware had a problem with the time of day?

mine seemed to think it was 7:30am at about 2pm last saturday.
  • Mine has been running fine with the latest firmware Ultra Bunny. So far at least....
  • Mine wouldn't download history to my computer. Spoke to Garmin who told me to reload the origional which I have and all is well again.
  • If you buy your Garmin from abroad how do you get on for charging it where can you get the right charger?
  • gd: ....if you're going to be using it with your computer, charge it off the USB cable.
  • Goldbeetle: Buy from the UK. Got mine for £195, so there's only about a tenner in it (or 5.1% cross-border price variance, to put it in the sort of terms we 301 owners seem to like! ;-o)
  • Ref accuracy: does anyone have anything comparing the 201/301 with footpod sytems like the Polar 625 or the Suuonto?
    BTW, what guarantee is there that the Rome marathon distance was accurately measured to start with? What is the official tolerance on race distances anyway?
  • The 301 is a European edition so comes with all the plugs you need, but the main reason people were buying them from abroad were because the UK had little to no stock at the start of the year.

I've used it in 2 races. On a 10 miler it measure 10.01 miles and on a 10K it measured 10.02k.
  • Have any of you 301 owners also had experience of a Polar S625x? I am wondering which one would be better to go for?
  • Ian - haven't used one, but horses for courses. Polar (or Suunto) with footpod would be better in city, but not so useful if you change shoes a lot. GPS (Garmin/Timex) better suited to great outdoors, and Garmin has the extra nav features & virtual partner. From what I can see accuracy is about the same, but I'm asking the same question elsewhere re direct comparisons.
    Or just buy the one that looks good!! ;-)

• I tried the S625x but returned it for a few reasons but none of them are really deal-breakers.

Basically I preferred to have one unit to do everything & couldn't be bothered with the calibration stuff. The watch is also very bulky for what it is and I didn't find the menus as intuitive as the Garmin.

I don't live in a built-up area so the Garmin is spot on for what I need. But I'm sure if I stuck with the Polar it would have been as good. Actually, the maps feature is useful on the Garmin, I really like having a record of where I've run.
  • Thanks for the replies!!!

I have never actually seen a garmin in "real" life. Is it very bulky ? Do you notice its there and more to the point to do people look at you as thought your form mars when wearing it? :)
  • ian,

It's very light and unobtrusive, I hardly notice I'm wearing it. But it is bigger than your average watch - approx twice the length.

People generally look at me as if I'm from Mars when I'm running - so difficult to comment on your second point. But I don't care.
  • Forgot to say, the polar watch is very thick which is why I found it bulky. The Garmin is longer but not thick.

Hope that clears it up :-)
  • Thanks to all. -- Sol I think people look at me in the same light and like you who really cares!!!!!
  • Ian,
    Just read your message about the size of the 301. I recently bought one and the size is as follows:

length 3.5 inches (8cm)
    width 1.75 inches (4.5cm)

and it sticks out once on your wrist 0.75 inches (2cm)

I agree with sol, it is very inobtrusive when running but I went out for a walk today to a local visitor centre (which to be honest was like a city centre during rush hour given the fact it is bank holiday), and had a few strange looks from some of the people there. If you can handle the fact that you are wearing something that most people will think you are from a James Bond movie or predator then buy it, it is a fab piece of equipment to have for running.
  • Now got my 301; I think it looks cool - so there - and I could easy peasy pass myself off as an elite athlete (if I wear a baggy top to hide my paunch!!)

It is THE ultimate runners toy, IMHO, and from experience so far the distance accuracy is as close as makes no difference to messing about with maps/mapping software. The big score over maps etc is that I don't need to run a fixed route that's been measured on a map; I can run anywhere and still know how far I've gone.
    If I go out with a map to explore a new route then the 301 will even auto-pause when I stop to look at the map, and act as a compass, and record a GPS trail that I can overlay on a map on computer, and store waypoints on the route, and help me get home if I get lost, as well as telling me how long that route is.
    And the HR functions are everything you'd expect, not just a gimmick bolted on to a nav tool for walkers & orienteers. I can see how I'll soon be able to tell what pace to expect for a certain intensity, and to track improvement in fitness by watching how that changes.
  • My 301 bailed me out yesterday. My wife and I visited Windermere and I decided to go for a run with mapping mode activated. Well let us just say that I took a wrong turning and it was only because I had mapping running that I managed to find my way home.
  • Has anyone heard if there's a fix for the Tracklogs maps available yet?
  • I have been following the 301 discussion group on yahoo and there seems to be a lot of discontent that the HRM on the 301 is not upto scratch and the software is troublesome. Has anyone on here had any problems with it? A lot of posts paint a gloomy picture which make me think that I would be better with a 201 until the problems are ironed out.

• HRM is a little clunky but functions well for me.

Are they complaining about the firmware in the unit or the supporting PC software.

The former is ok, the latter a little basic but then it is their first attempt ;-)
  • oh and i should say re: software, both have already been updated once so its not like there's no support & development from garmin.
  • ed, as far as i can see its the firmware. Can the firmware be updated ?

I would like to go for the 301 but keep thinking -- do i really need the hrm and is there a problem with the early releases.

Take a look at the yahoo.co.uk groups. the group is http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GarminF/

ian
  • sorry another issue i notice is the battery unit failing (mainly on the 201s). Can the sealed battery be replaced by garmin?
  • Like a lot of the other guys on here, I've had a 301 since the start of the year when the first shipments arrived in Europe. I've found the HRM to be excellent and apart from the odd spike in readings, perfect for what I want it to do.
  • yes.. firmware can & has been updated via usb.
  • I've had my 301 since the beginning of Feb' & on the whole am very happy with it. However last week my HRM started playing up. It has always given a couple of sharp spikes, early in my runs (within first half mile) which I can live with. But recently it has given intermittent HRM display or no display at all during my runs, but when the info is downloaded however it's all there. This seems to be happening more frequently now, especially if the battery is not fully charged. I've also had one instance where it did nothing for the whole run & didn't download a single reading, yet managed to give me an average HR of 224.
  • Does anyone know if the unit uses the HRM when working out the calories used, or just the weight you input alongwith the speed?
  • I couldn't say mike a. Try emailing garmin direct. Their website is www.garmin.com
  • What happens if you wear the 301 on a treadmill, does it report any calories used?