Forerunner 301

Comments

• I don't know. It depends if the garmin works out calories as a function of your heart rate or speed. According to the instructions it does say you can set it not to use indoors and the only data not available is speed and distance data; there is no mention of calories used.
  • Now this is a really basic problem - simply can't get a satellite track. Driven out into the country away from buildings and trees - clear sky. The bar starts to expand then retracts and says "Am I still inside the house ? " Like other posters - I'm feeling just a bit conspicuous stood outside looking upwards. Do I need to head for the hills ?
  • That's wierd! I mean it can take longer to pick up satellites if you are near trees and buildings but it sounds like you have a fault with it. Contact Garmin and see what they say.
  • Could be a faulty unit, I've only heard of problems getting satellites in really built up areas like the centre of London for example.
  • Sol,

Have you tried cleaning the chest strap? I was having the same problems - deteriorating signals every time I ran - gave it a quick wipe and it's good as new.

With regards to the logs, I don't know, but I get the feeling if it loses the signal when you download the run it basically just connects the last reading before it was lost with the first reading when it comes back, giving the impression it has constantly recevied a signal. may be wrong but the lines look a little too smooth to me.
  • My HRM played up after a couple of weeks. Replaced battery in chest strap and is now fine
  • Graham B - I've used my 301 in the City a few times and had no problems. It takes about a minute longer to find satellites, and loses them a few times, but much less than I expected.
    It copes admirably with a romp from the Tower down to Waterloo bridge and back via the South Bank with a tourist-searing blast over Millennium Bridge (it's just gotta be done!).
    It could be a faulty unit, but bear in mind that the first use takes around 15 minutes to find satellites and the unit needs to be left still. After that it's much quicker and mine sorts itself out during warm-up. The bar seems to go all over the place as it does its thing.
  • Thanks for the responses - I contacted the suppliers BHIP, and they quickly sent a replacement unit. The new unit immediately tracked a satellite - so I can only presume the original unit was faulty.
  • BTW, spoke to Tracklogs and they are expecting a fix for the maps "soon". Although the fact they never gave a date makes me think its some way off yet. Which is a bit disappointing considering we're now in April...
  • LM expo has a memory map stand and is selling maps compatible with 301. Apparently if you already have the software from them a free download will be available soon
  • I had a load of trouble with the HRM on one run - it spent less than half the time with a signal. After I finished the run I realised that I was wearing the chest strap upside down.

I wouldn;t have thought it would have made any difference but wearing the right way round it's 100% reliable.
  • Supposedly, you can put it on your back, but you have to wear it upside down. I kid you not.
  • Are the products from Tracklogs and Memory Map essentially the same or is there a good reason to go for one over the other?
  • Has anyone actually bought & used memory map or track logs yet? I'm seriously considering memory map, as I'm getting miffed with the quality of the standard garmin maps.

Another niggle has also cropped up recently, where the USB cable doesn't seem to be making a good connection, requiring much wiggling about before charging commences & my laptop can see the 301. Anyone else experienced this & have you been able to fix it?
  • Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    I use sport tracks - free download, but sorry I seem to have lost the address- google will do I am sure

draws nice clear street maps for all the routes I've used
  • This is part of a reply I posted on the garmin thread recently in reply to a similar query

I have just bought Tracklogs OS 25000 series map for my area. It received the stored routes from my 301 and plotted them accurately with no problem. Tracklogs on first use looks to be excellent, because you can annotate the routes and print them off - excellent for club runs.It also folds the OS map into 3D so you get an accurate view of the contours.

Two freebies that will import your 301 data and plot the routes onto basic maps are Motionbased (recommended by Garmin)(http://trail.motionbased.com/) and Sportstracks (http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Demo/index.html)I marginally prefer the latter since it allows the exporting of the maps. Both also analyse your data in a similar way to the 301 Training Centre but with added features. A bonus of both is the link to Google Earth, where you can see your route plotted onto a 3D satellite image of the earth's surface. It can be panned, tilted and zoomed so you can almost re-run your routes from the comfort of your home.
    Motionbased is an online system but it puts software on your computer that uploads 301 data to the website. You will need to create your own (free)registration. Sports Tracks is a free download but they ask for a donation.
    Hope this is helpful
  • I've had my 201 for almost a year and a half now and am wondering about upgrading to a 301. Is this a wise move?
  • im having problems with my newly bought 301, installed all software but it says i need to connect it to the pc....which it already is.... its not havin it at all!!! can anyone help????
  • Hi solly. As you can see above, I haven't got one yet.

I assume you've made sure that the connections on the PC/unit are good and tight.
  • Solly
    I just had 301 and same error cant connect to training centre....did you solve this??

i can used motionbased no problem.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welsh Poppy

I once had a problem with the Training Centre and e-mailed Garmin. The advice I had was to remove the Garmin USB driver from the system and re-install from the disk. This worked fine but you need to know how to access the System devices through Control Panel to do it. However, I have now stopped using the Training Centre because I consider that Sports Tracks records and analyses my runs in a better way (see my message above)So, you don't have to use the Training Centre at all.

You will enjoy the 301. I've had mine since February and it has proved to be worth the money. 4 other members of my club have now got one and I think that it was on other runners wish lists for Christmas.

Best wishes

John
  • Welsh poppy,
    I contacted Garmin and downloaded their updated software and(touch wood) it s working ok.
    Just gotta figure out how to use it now :/
  • Thanks for reply's

I too emailed garmin and downloaded latest software plus training centre software and it works but I prefer motionbased

thanks yes I had a timex bodylink before and it knocks spots of it with all the lovely data it supplies it is top banana and I am having so much fun with it.
    I need to keep HR low on a training run so Garmin beeps and a screen comes up HR too high just what i need:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • ha Poppy - I told you didn't I?

have you named him yet? Mine's Henry as you know. I have now been able to export the data to Sport Trax - a whole new experience :0)))

Have fun with him, but don't do what I do and set up the training partner then go like b*ggery to beat 'im!!!!
  • I have a 301 but am far from satisfied, it shows that it finds and holds the satelites but the pace can vary anywhere between 6 min to 12 min miles on the same run (and I only plod these days)

The heart rate readings can vary between 120 - 180, with in accurate readings accounting for 75% of the run (I previuosly used a heartsafe & had no problems).

The problems have probably got worse over the 4 months I have had it, but its never been good.

Anybody had similar problems and know if a upgrade of the firmware would help ?

I notice that folk are giving them names - I can think of a few but best not repeated here
  • Can't really complain about the 201 myself - a few signal blips now and again but it never aggravates me.
  • No complaint about my 201 either. But looking forward to the 305 with hrm eventually.

Maybe a naff question here......
    Can the hrm on Garmins be used in gyms, i.e. when using treadmill,rower or bike?
  • DR3 - had a few glitchy problems, but nothing like what you seem to be suffering. Have you considered contacting Garmin - especially if less than 12 months old, as it may be a faulty unit.

Impey - yes can be used in gyms. You'll need to tell it your indoors when you switch it on & ideally also that your doing a different activity from running.
  • I've been using memory-map with the 301 for about a year now. It's very straightforward and horribly addictive. The cost is pretty shocking, and you only get support and fixes for a year at most: after that they 'upgrade' the product and you have to buy the latest version of all the maps if you want to use the latest version of the software (which I haven't bothered with).

So the company is bloody annoying, but the product is fantastic, very useful for planning your route, and a 3d view of the run you just did (with speed and heartrate profiles) is really good geeky fun.

I use it to generate course maps and profiles for fell races, too. I don't think I'd have bought it otherwise. Also, I live in Cumbria. It would probably be less useful in town...

.2p

will
  • My 301 has made a big difference to my training. I ran my first marathon in 4.35 and my second in 3.58. My milege is now accurate and the pace also. OK not 100%, 100% of the time but it does seem the best on the market 'til now. The heart rate can be erratic - Last Sunday I ran 5 miles of a 10 mile race at over 220 bpm according to mine. Despite this the advantages are huge - I know my pace thoughout a race and can correct immediately ( once I have the puff and legs! ). I find it great for races and also for speed/fartlek sessions. The signal can occasionally go and there is a small delay in registering a change of pace . I haven't done much more with it but I think its the best tool I've ever bought.