Where do you like your hills?

What's your preference for confronting hills when you're out for a run? Do you get it out the way early, take it on in the middle, or save it up for a final push at the end?

Comments

• As long as they are not at the start I don't care (hate em , they kill me!)
  • All round
    (trainee fell runner)
  • I like 'em at the end - a sting in the tail, a last burst of energy to let you know you've had a really good workout.
  • I like my hills on another course! ;o)

On a serious note though I quite like hills but only to run up as I can get a good pace going. Am absolutely pathetic on descent as have tiny weak flimsy ankles which give way under me on encountering the tiniest of pebbles!!
  • As I live at the top of a long hill I have no choice but to start all my runs with a descent and finish them all with a climb. My choice of route determines how steep the final ascent will be!
  • I live and run in an "undulating" area and hills are part of life. However, I hate to begin a run by going straight up one. I need a couple of miles to warm up and then I'm okay.
  • rocks you are unhinged-best place for hills is after the finish when you're in the car
  • At the end of a race so I can break some hearts:)
  • Good point alex.... no wonder you enjoy running along Embankment so much!!!

How's it going? I'm injury free, but not doing nearly as much running as I would like.
  • Whats to like about hills????
  • Everything: Interest, Quick results, views, The ability to hide from the worst of the weather in the lea of a hill, and of course "rest time" when you come to a down hill.
    We live at the bottom of a 1 in 5 valley, so I
    prefer to finish on a downer, it means I am almost home. It also looks better, as the neighbours only see me flying down the hill at the end of my runs. (They are usually in bed when I set out!
  • I like them behind me!

On hols in the summer we camped on the side of an Alp one day (Col du Lauteret). I woke up early one morning and couldn't sleep, so I went running. Which way to go? Very slowly up, in order to finish with the (marginally) quicker and easier half. The only time in my life I have dragged my considerable frame upwards for over half an hour continuously!
  • I like them far away from me - seriously, my ideal run is flat. Having said that, they are good for training! L