marathon training, advice needed

I have just decided that the time has come for me to attempt my first marathon (next year sometime)
Now the real issue is that I would like to achieve a g.f.a time for f.l.m 2006. I am currently running 40-50 m.p.w. My p.b at half marathon is 1:23ish. I'm male and will be 40 in January.
Now my dilema is, do I put all my eggs in one basket and train for just one marathon or should I try and tackle one earlier in the year and if that goes belly up I will still be able to try another say Aug/sept(assuming I'm up to it)
I realise that I will have to up my weekly long runs (currently 2hr approx 15m)I have attempted a couple of 3hr runs without any undue stress. My training also covers speedwork, intervals and hills, so I think I have the background, but it's just the fact of entering the unknown!
The target is to go sub 3hr for my first marathon(or am I dreaming)
Any views or opinions from some of you old seasoned pro's would be much appreciated.
Cheers G.R

Comments

• 1. Up your mileage to 70-80. Don't worry about speedwork whilst you do this. I'd do 2-3 runs per week at around M-pace to M-pace+30 secs.

2. Yes, running sub 3hrs takes some focus.

3. If you do have an autumn marathon as a back up I would not go for Aug / Sept as you could hit a hot day which will slow you down. Good flat October marathons include Cardiff and Abingdon.
  • I've read quite a bit that suggests your first marathon is going to be a lottery unless you're extremely well focused. According to one study, 15% of first time marathoners underestimated their finishing time by 1 hour!, Noakes reckons that your best marathon will be your third or fourth (I think), and another marathon prediction formula takes 17 minutes off your time if you've done a previous one.

I was previously convinced that I wouldn't attempt a marathon unless I was confident of doing it under 3 hours. I've now abandoned that and decided that a marathon is an essential part of marathon training.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    You should have a very realistic chance of running sub-3 with that half marathon time, which suggests that you're not only quite quick but also know about pacing.

My plan for this year was to try a sub-3 in April and again in the autumn, on the back of a 1:24 half in February. The way it panned out, I did a slightly injured and quite cautious 3:03 in April, then took it easy for a month, then picked up again through the summer building up to a tough August and September, and beat 3 quite comfortably in October.

The only trouble is if you're aiming for a GFA place, you need to find a nice fast one before second week in October which probably rules out Abingdon. Berlin might be a good idea.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If you're male 40, you only need sub 3:15 for a GFA place and going by your half time that should be well within your capability with the right training!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I recommend Cardiff at the beginning of October,which is flat and 2 laps.
  • Hilly - are you sure? The GFA times are:

Male 18-40 3:00
    Male 41-59 3:15

This means he will need to run 3:15 as a 41 year old, which won't be until Jan 06.

Gold Rush - I did a 3:01 first marathon off a 1:23 half this year - and I'm 38 so similar to you. I was only doing 40-45 mpw at the time, so there is no reason why you shouldn't go for 3hrs in a spring marathon.

If you've not run a marathon before and you are keen to get a GFA, then I'd definitely recommend doing both a spring and autumn marathon. If you don't get the GFA time in the spring one, you should definitely get it in the autumn one.

As toomuchapplepie says, Abingdon is a week to late to count as a GFA (shame as it's a very nice course), but there are plenty of other autumn marathons you can consider.
  • Thanks Folks for the responses. Can someone clarify whether my time has to be sub 3hr or will a 3:15 be enough bearing in mind I will be 40 next year, but 41 by the time f.l.m 2006 arrives.
    If I leave Cardiff as my second(and last)chance, what are the best options for a fast course in the spring preferably in this country.
    toomuchapplepie- I'm interested what time did you achieve.
    Cheers G.R
  • GR - it is your age on race day that counts, so a 3:14 run aged 40 will count.
  • Thanks B.R, Any thoughts on a venue for a fast spring Marathon in this country.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    GR - I did 2:58:24 in Kingston in October.
    That was off a good but not stellar 12-week average of just under 50 mpw, with a weekly peak of 64 miles and little structured speed training, so can do better. Still felt great though!

• BR - are you sure? As I read the table on the GFA section of the FLM website, the 3:15 time doesn't apply until 41, not 40.