Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Ashley & djb - thanks so much for hotal info think will stay over less hassle!

Tinribs - well its not other side of the world but maybe a little impractical, as live in Coulsdon in Surrey not far from Sweetest Thing. However if you change your mind let me know. Hope training goes well and hope to see you at the event!
    Regards
    Katie
  • RHG - would be good to see you at Thanet - I don't know if you remember but we met on the infamous Trailplus weekend!
  • Wow, this is probably the first thread to combine marathons and town planning issues!? While from the examples quoted there appears to be a strong correlation between potential redevelopment sites and arson in the Thanet area it is more likely to be for the insurance or as a result of vandalism than for easing the way for planning permission. East Kent (including Thanet) is identifed in the emerging South East Plan, the Kent & Medway Structure Plan and Local Plans for significant housing/employment growth over the next 20 years, so anyone purchasing a struggling or redundant hotel or leisure site would not have too much trouble making a case for change of use to housing, unless other material circumstances apply, for example if the existing building(s) are listed or in a Conservation Area.
  • Gosh, is this someone else who works in local government, Power Hedgehog? Where do you work? I'm at London Borough of Croydon.

Katie Rudge, hello again! TR has posted on another thread saying he caught up with you on here and suggesting we all meet up for a slow social run - great idea, let's do it!

Not doing Kent coastal - it's the day after we get back from Italy. Did the FLM though and it was just terrific. Truly one of the best days of my entire life. You will love doing Kent - why not try for a place in next year's FLM too? I am going to go for it again (got a charity place this year and they have offered me a place next year but will also try for a ballot place). It is just the best experience. I don't think I have come back down to earth yet.

xx
  • Hello Sweetest Thing - nice to hear from you. Superb, well done for completing the FLM, yes I would love to do it next year and gona try to find a way to get in as well as ballot, as you have made me really want to take part now. Yes can't wait to do this one, although missed out on 3 weeks training due to other commitments and am chomping at the bit for a run! Yes would love to meet up for a social run, however can't actually fit it in for bout 3-4 weeks as working flat out at weekends present!Am doing the Bewl run in beginning July too. Here is my e-mail stay in touch & we can arrange a social run and put some names to faces! Great! Look forward to it.

Regards katie (p.s. now can get some good marathon training tips from you!)

katierudge@hotmail.com
  • Hi Katie, as you will have gathered from ST,I did have second thoughts about getting together for a run, so let me know when we are nearer a good time and I will enjoy running with you all.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    PH, what's the South East plan? It does rather feel like its all just now houses and retirement flats...having just knocked the gym down i went to for flats. Oh well, Thanet will soon be a nice place to just live...and run as there's nowt else!
  • ST, Hi, yes I'm a LGO, working for Sevenoaks and previously for Bexley - hence the insider knowledge about GLA etc. FLM was my first marathon too - great day wasn't it?

Cinders, the South East Plan is a major new planning document being prepared by SEERA (the South East of England Regional Assembly). Among other things it will set housing growth targets for the region for the next 20 years. More info from their web-site (www.southeast-ra.gov.uk)

• tinribs - yep will let you know when all get together for social run, cheers for contacting sweetest Thing. k.
  • PH, I almost got a job at Sevenoaks last year as Director of Corporate Services - down to last two! Looked like a great place to work. FLM was just fantastic, I really don't think I've come back down to earth yet. The whole atmosphere was just amazing, especially the support. Are you doing it next year?
  • ST, that's amazing - small world!

Re. the FLM, I was lucky enough to get in this year through the ballot (3rd attempt), so I will start trying again next year, but appreciate may take up to 5 years to have another crack. Hoping to improve technique/time at this one in September, but I haven't got back into training proper yet.
  • Power Hedgehog. The point is that arsenevandelism normally seems to occur AFTER planning has been granted, I can only think of one case where it happened before.
  • The vouchers relating to the cancellation of the 20m race should be on their way to all competitors now.

If you have not received your voucher by 1 June, then please contact Steve Adelsberg at vouchers@thanetroadrunners.org.uk.

Regards
    djb
  • Cool! Time to bring the thread to life now the vouchers are on their way...

I'm in two minds about the race now (for reasons I won't bore you with), but seeing as I get in free and it is the County Champs it is still tempting. So...

Has anybody got any experience of running a marathon at about 85-90% of race pace and then RACING another one 3-4 weeks later?
    It is something that Lydiard always recommended to experienced marathoners and I know Bordin (Gold Seoul 88) did it too.

Am considering using this as the "time trial" / "preparation run" and racing another 3-4 weeks later on a faster course.
  • Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    understand you can also use the vouchers for the 10 miler in December if you don't want to run the 'thon or Half.

g'wan Pants! - you could never bore me - do tell!
  • Pantman,

The other Kent Coastal race director did Rotterdam and then Halstead this year. He was very pleased with how much easier it was to do the second marathon comapred to the first. However, he's not quite as quick as you. Both were under 4 hours, but as Halstead is a tougher course he did go slightly slower... He's hoping to be able to do 4 marathons this year in similar kinds of times.

PS: Anyone got the vouchers yet?
  • So how does this work with an eight week gap. I will be in Kenya going very very very slow (est 5- 6 hours) in 34C+ and at altitude, No idea if this will help Thanet or not but I would like to finally break the four hours and after Kenya Thanet will be a doddle!
  • Don't know Ashley... I thought I could try an eight year gap :-)

• Ashley,

A 5-6hr run is an "ultra" regardless of actual distance. Get mileage as high as you can handle and keep it VERY VERY easy.

Then afterwards you can get a month or so of SLIGHTLY faster running done for Thanet. SOunds like a good way to do it.
  • Pantman

Planing on 16 miles tomorrow morning (Ramsgate to Sandwich and Back).

Then 10k recovery on Sunday. Tuesday will be 10miles, Thursday 10k on running machine in 34C ++

Friday 13 miles gentle.

Sunday 18 miles circa 10 minute miles... I know this is fast than I plan to do Kenya in but with no heat or altitude I figure this will compensate.

Then with four weeks to go I expect to maybe get in one more long run of 18 miles and basically keep the rest under 10 miles.

So for after the race would you be able to spend a few minutes draftig a rough guide of milageand or time for the next two months. You have my email or can contact me above. Do'nt worry about it being too technical or spending too much time on it as I will need to tweak a little to fit my availability.

Thanks if you can
    DB2

I received my voucher today (thanks), but there's an error on it.

It says there's a £5 discount for races other than the Half and Marathon, but we've been informed already that the Thanet 10 is also free.
  • Snoop

Don't know which club you are from but one club is using the 10M as a substitute club champs (of some sort) and has asked for special dispensation to use voucher in that way...

is that you??

Otherwise it applies as it says - pretty generous I reckon anyway!
    correct - the Marathon clashes with the Dry Hill 10 at Lingfield, which is a DRR Grand Prix event, so a three line whip - thanks for clarifying that.
  • I have received my voucher, I am not a member of the club mentioned above, but my own club has a championship race on 4th September, the Sam 7 in Leatherhead. So therefore I cannot use my voucher until the Thanet 10 either.

I have paid £8 to enter the Thanet 20 which was cancelled by the organisers. I get a £5 voucher in return, which means £3 has been kept back. I now have to pay an extra £2 on top of this to enter the Thanet 10, although you have given another club dispensation to have a free entry.

Surely it would be fairer on all runners who entered the Thanet 20 to have free entry to another Thanet race up to the value of the Thanet 20, rather than £5 off, as there must be a number of others who have commitments on 4th September and not just those members of the club mentioned above?
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I have a voucher but am deliberately avoiding any races which my club has decided to be championship races. So I'll be at this one & it will hopefully clash with some other club event.

However, I'm with the vouchers being worth £8
  • AShley - first and foremost you need to recover - you cannot plan till you discover how long that takes... We'll talk after the 1st race...
  • Pantman.
    I did London then Halstead a month later and took 10 minutes off my time. It is possible.

If you can, make the second run your "target" race and run the firts one slightly easier. Treat it as your final "long run".

• NO problem Pantman and thank you for the help.

Yes recovery will be interesting for this one.

I did my 18 mile run on Saturday morning at a slow comfortable pace inside the zone the whole way (a novelty for me I must admit, in the words of Snoops I used to treat every training run as a race and simple ran the same pace - fast start stagger finish), but Sautrday was great, no aches pains or anything on Sunday and I did the Miles and Barr first 5k with son which was mainly walk as he has a barking cough, then spint the second half. New PB for 5k in 20 minutes 17s, even allowing for the fact that the course may have been 400m short of 5k thats still the first time Ive gone under 21... better still no aches and pains, or even effects that I have been out for a run.

But as you suggest lets wait and see.
  • I'm sorry people feel upset that they haven't got back all they they wanted. However, there are several reasons for this.

First and foremost runners must understand that the club is not obliged to give any refunds at all under the SEAA rules. However, we recognise this as being unfair so have tried to give something back to runners who have entered. We advertised that if we could not reschedule that we would be giving free entry to the half/marathon, which we have. Non-Affiliated runners have to pay the £2 for race insurace.

As an additional benefit to those who can't make the marathon/half we have offered £5 off some of our other races.

We would of course loved to have offered free entry to any of our races in the next year, but the reality is that we cannot do this for a number of financial reasons. I cannot comment of what we have done for certain other clubs as I am not aware of the situation with them myself. It may well come down to an individual race director accepting the loss of revenue on his race. The club will only be crediting the £5 per competitor from the 20m race to the other races. The maratho/half has better sponsorship and these races are targets for growth by the club.

It is rare that races are cancelled due to the weather and people are not used to the consequences of this. As a club we are always trying to put on the best events we can for other runners - we put on about 10 per year, more than most clubs of similar size! We are not a commercial organisation and do not 'profit' in the same was from races as such people. None of our organiser volunteers gets paid, and the club only profits marginally from the majority of our races, the remainder any profits are given to charity.

I hope that this goes some way to explaining our position as a club and further hope that you will no take too hard against a club that tries to put in more that it takes out of the sport.

• Makes perfect sense to me, David