Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• but it will be dark and we will miss it unless we move the finish to the pub car park.....
  • SmitchSmitch ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Gavo.

Can we move the date of this one, but not tell Gavo? That would be fairly amusing.

Hi Pants. I have been lurking.
  • DB. I love the course and hope to break the sub4 on it. I am also seriously thinking of giving up marathons (yes I know said it before ) and would like to make sure my PB is reached on the Thanet Course, after all it was at the tender age of 14 that I watched my first marathon in Thanet and decided that one day I wanted to run one.

Now if you could set the course along the same route as the one from back in the early 80s then I would be well pleased.

Is there a section for change of course on the form - oh too late I already entered in which case could you amend my form to include the revised course.

Weather wise, lets see I would like a repeat of last years weather, lets see make it around 34C around 4 hours after the start so that we can site out on the lawns with a pint.. oh and maybe ensure that the see has a temperature of about 26C so that we can have a nice cooling dip in the water. Light rain around 13 and 20 miles would also be nice.

Gavo I think there is always a breeze in Thanet, can't guarantee it will be behind you though, unless you have a very large curry, a couple of pints of guiness and a few cans baked beans and brussels!
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Anyone doing the half or know of a thread for it? I'm undecided which one yet!

Nice idea Ashley aboutt he 34c degree but could you push it on another half hour or so for us slower peeps!!!
  • <http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?EN=26510&URN=6&UTN=55495&Events_Last=1&V=2&SP=

This is the half thread.

Hmm I can't help you decide which one to do, but the marathon is much better value per mile :-)...
  • Ok Cinders...

Dave can you fix that we would like the see set around 26C for 4 hours after the start and the air temperature to be 34C 4.30 after the start so we can all lay out on the lawns of the Fayreness getting tanned and sipping cool pints (undecided yet whether these will be bitter or champagne though).

Oh and ice creams at mile 9 perhaps Morellis could move the ice cream counter a little closer, or maybe you could route the race past thier shop?
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Thanks David, have popped over!

Mmmm, so how many pubs en route more to the point, that could sway my full/half decision :-)

Is there a course map/route anywhere or an idea of where it goes?
  • Unless the route has changed from last year.

You have all the pubs along Margate Seafront (out and back), a Thorleys in Westgate I think it is and that is from memory about it!

Still you don't want pubs on route as they wil only detract you from the race (and the drink afterwards!).

Now if you want pub crawl then why not do Marathon Des Medocs or whatever its called... OK OK so it is in France but sometimes these things have to be endured. If your not familiar with that race then its one that goes through the wine regions. You get to have samples at each vineyard and there are cheese and oysters at hand apparently... Not a course of PB potential according to RW review!
  • Course map will come when its confirmed - with profile.

Pubs on route... One, two, three, four, five, six on the half route... ISTR, but not that many on the full route... There is a cafe bar at the far end of the turnaround point of the full, and several cafés/snackbars...

djb
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Now this is sounding nicer by the minute, all these pubs and ice cream vendors. Prob don't want the sea food vendor down the harbour tho!

Ashley, having just arrived back from Cannes and all the vin rouge consumed I could be tempted by the Marathon des Medocs I feel :-)
  • Me too.

At the moment I am counting down the days to my marathon. 21 days now I will be at the Night Before Pasta party in Lewa Game Reserve. having spent last night here.

http://www.serenahotels.com/kenya/samburu/home.htm

Having read the race reports of previous races at Safaricom I see that runners have had to give up PB hopes due to Bull Elephants blocking the course thus the runners have had to wait for the helicopter to scare them off, lions in the area with an interest in the local game (runners) and cheetahs being to close to the start and the marshals having to evict them from the area - well rules are rules and if the chetaahs had entered properly and been given a race number like the rest of us then they could have entered.... Mind you I can see that this may have caused a problem for the Kenyans who just maybe may have actually been given a run for thier money.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Now that's why the Kenyans run quick!!!

Sounds like you'll certainly have a scenic course Ashley!
  • Yep then back to Thanet for my PB attempt!
  • Thinking about this one . . .
  • Dropping out now - will enter the half instead...

• << lurking from Boston, Mass >>

so there won't be any photo's of you then Pantman . .

c'mon SBF . . sign up . .
  • No photos of the half?!?! Rich, you are a meanie!
  • RichK

If you are intending to photograph the event, you could set yourself up at the start, the 13 mile point and the Marathon finish.. BY walking all of about 500 yards! Make Pants happy and take his photo :-)

Cheers

djb

• Pantman sorry to hear that. Are you still going for 1st in the half though?

SBF sign up its a great race and if RichK is in attendance a guarantee of your photo in the RW URWFRC race report, now what reason could be better than that?
  • Shall I do this or not? Someone please decide for me cos I am hopeless.
    Only really just getting back to form after FLM so don't know whether to give this a bash. Keep thinking I want to then I don't and then change my mind again.
    Can you lot take a vote and help me make up my mind once and for all!
  • Do it! You know you'll regret it if you don't :-)...

PS: I may be biased.
  • Shortie100

we meet again!

So at Orpington I will be marshalling (DB2 not sure if my name is still on the list at TRAC, please feel free to keep sending me the newsletter though). and I will be running at Kent Coastal.

This is a fabulous course. Without the crush of thousands of runners you stand a better chance to get a PB.

The event is so well organised that you will be sure to have a good time.

So count this a vote to do it.

E-mail me your location (area), As you know I live in Orpington, but have all my family in Thanet so I am a regular in both areas if you ever want a training run with someone.

Cinders, have you made it to TRAC yet?
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Hi Ashley, ashamed to say not yet, still plucking up courage :-(

What's best for the first time, the monthly club session or I've got a leaflet with runs in the week? Also what sort of things do they do on their monthly session?

• Ok - if I'm feeling good a week after NDR I'll do it. I guess it's far enough ahead of Abingdon . . .

<<trouble is, SBF reminds himself, you've also signed up for the Beachy Head marathon 2 weeks after Abingdon, you f%&*ing ijit!>>
  • sbf
    Treat Kent Coastal as your slow training run to get yourselve into super fit peak performance mode for Abingdon.

(I took this approach in 2004 and KCM ended up being the faster of the two courses for all reasons already stated!).

Cinders do as I say and not what I do. I have no idea neve having been to a TRAC meeting. I do go to the ORR meets most Tuesdays though.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Thanks David, will try to come along next week. I know I'm being silly as I'm sure you're all friendly, I just can't help being shy!!!

Ok Ashley but what's ORR?
  • Orpington Roadrunners Runners
  • See you tonight Cinders????

6:30 at Ramsgate Pool!

djb
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Thanks David but have prior committment for this week. Am def coming along next week tho!