Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    well,i'll be concentrating on my longer training runs from now on,as im doing lochaber marathon on 24/4,before then going on to do edinburgh marathon
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Happy training, and have a good weekend.
  • Options
    anyone else doing great winter run at holyrood park on saturday?
  • Options
    They say the dunfermline 1/2 marathon is a good prep event for edinburgh. Its usually about 2-3 weeks prior to the marathon.
  • Options
    yep,the dunfermline half is an excellent event and as well as being a good try-out before edinburgh it is a well organised and well supported event,which seems to get better each year.
    if only the organisers could control the weather though...its usually pretty hot the last few times ive run it..still a terrific race.
  • Options
    I've entered again after completing the race in 2004. I was lucky enough last year to be quick enough that there was still water at all the water stations as I went past. I was sorry for those that missed out on water and juice that came in later.

I'm glad Arthurs Seat has gone as it was far too tough for the start of a marathon. I'm doing London in April then I'll have an awkward 8 weeks before London trying to decide what to do training wise.

PPB.
  • Options
    Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    I'm in to I'll see you all there.
  • Options
    Slick

You can get info/entry form for the Lasswade 10 Mile race from http://lasswade.glencorseinternet.co.uk.

I'll be handing out entries at Holyrood tomorrow as I'll be watching my daughter in the inter district XC match and hanging around to watch the Great Winter Run afterwards.

Hope everybody doing the run tomorrow has a good one.
  • Options
    Hi,

Am running this event for Breast Cancer Campaign. Anyone else running for the same charity? I've just learned that BCC are not holding any post-race reception as they say they cannot justify sending up a team (probably due to small amount of runners?).

Would appreciate a few tips on how to overcome this problem. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hello all

I am back in again, third time lucky! Also have place in London thanks to my club so I am aiming to try for them both.. but ssh I haven't told my legs yet. Also chucked out fairy wings so not sure how that will affect my performance

PPB - any ideas on how we do both marathons? I am having a policy of worry about FLM deal with Edinburgh after. Do we rest 3 weeks, train 2 and taper 3 :O) No? I thought not.
  • Options
    P.S Does anyone have a nice wee 10M route they care to share I am sick of the shore/cycle path already
  • Options
    hi katypie,
    i would take a complete weeks rest after london,then continue as normal building up the mileage before the taper 2wks before edinburgh..
    thats what i did 2004..and ran 3-33 london,3-39 edinburgh
  • Options
    Am running Edinburgh this year. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer.

1) I see there are a number of Energy drinks stations on the route. What is the drink that will be given out?

2) How easy is it for spectators to get around the route to see as athletes (cough) in action?
  • Options
    Katypie - If you're down near the shore / Leith then it's 6 miles to get around Arthur's Seat and back. If you add in a trip down to dudingston then back up the innocent railway path then hey presto 10 miles!

Or if you want flat then out to Joppa via Porty is 8 miles from Leith Shore.
  • Options
    Hi All! This will be my first marathon and I'm looking forward to it.

I think I'll be doing a few of those warm-up races Billyb mentioned, in fact I sent off my Alloa application this afternoon.

Happy training everyone!
  • Options
    Hello The Count,

I regularly try that route and its good for a mix but I am really looking for pastures new to step out on.

Thanks though :O)

• Options
    P.S BHA Bob,

Not sure what speed you are but I did sub 5 last year and there were no energy drinks left by the time I hauled my weary carcass round to the drinks station. However the drink was High Five if I recall correctly...
  • Options
    katypie,

that's a bit poor on the energy drinks front, hope they've learnt from that for this year!

High 5? is that generally available? where from?
  • Options
    Em, I think you can get in Tiso and Run and Become - are you local?? I think it's a red packet??

I saw it as punishment for being so damn slow and then bartered my energy gels for water with other weary souls
  • Options
    it's ok - found a website www.highfive.co.uk/
  • Options
    There was plenty water though and they handed out gels (I think) at the end of cramond esplanade.

Just thinking about it again *shudders*
  • Options
    Hi Katypie,

2 marathons?? All depends how fit you are. Obvious I know, but if you do London and feel good (relatively speaking!), then you will have no problem - i.e. just consider it was a training run (afterwards of course) towards Edinburgh.
    However, if London really takes it out of you, then you must rest for as long as it takes to replenish your reserves which will be pretty depleted.

Hopefully to give you confidence, I did 4 PBs in 29 days from 10k to marathon last autumn, and the 10 mile and 1/2 marathon PBs were 1 and 2 weeks after Chicago. I did New York, 4 weeks after Chicago, and whilst I struggled towards the end, so did most others, and I still ended with a better finishing position. Needless to say, i then gave my legs the rest I promised them!!
  • Options
    jd,

Fitness, em... I am fitter than I have ever been but that is not saying much. After Edinburgh last year my legs were dead weight for a good month so if I feel like that again after London then Edinburgh is a no go. I've taken a fair bit off my PB but I think I will have to just take both easy if possible.
  • Options
    katypie,
    the thing is with the two marathons so close,you have to get your priorities in order.
    last year i decided i was really going to go for a pb in london,so went flat out,and did 3-33...then if i came out of that ok,i would either then go for a pb in edinburgh,or just cruise it,whatever the case may be.
    as it turned out i recovered quickly..was running 2 days after london ,then went on to do edinburgh,and had it not been for taking cramp at mile 24 i wouldve smashed my pb by about 15 mins..
    so i would say decide which race means more to you and go for it.
    obviously i would recommend to a fairly new runner that they take the first marathon fairly steady and save themselves for edinburgh...dont do as i do,unless youre capable of that type of thing..
    nice to see one of last years forumites online..
  • Options
    katypie - you could always have a complete rest before edinburgh...

bha bob. Are you a Brighton fan? In essex? It was High 5 at the stops, and although I made it to the High 5 stops, there was a distinct lack of water stops on the route, on perhaps one of the hottest days last year. I shall be taking my camelbak this year. Also, I believe it is reasonably easy for spectators to get around the course. Dont really know myself having never been a spectator at edinburgh.
  • Options
    spectating?
    well coming from edinburgh.i would say it would be easy to get around....
    vantage points i would go for would be....grassmarket,then up onto king georgeiv bridge,down mound onto princes street....from there you could go waterloo place,leading you to meadowbank/lochend area..from there to water front....its all easy to get to ...good bus service,or on foot..or bike,whatever...
  • Options
    BillyB

I think that since it's unlikey I will ever do a sub 4 hr marathon I am going to just aim for London and see how I am, after Edinburgh last year I started training too soon. I might spend the three weeks after in the gym and then run again, anyway I am getting ahead of myself.

Which did you find easier? In my mind FLM will be cos it's flatter???
  • Options
    loaded

Yes, Brighton Fan. Come from Angmering, West Sussex, work has moved me around a bit & find myself in Essex, makes the away games easier to get to. :)

billiyb
    thanks for the spectator info, would have to be bus, as there are kiddies & pushchairs involved (not my kids). Will the buses be running ok with a marathon on?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    HI BillyB and Katypie- I'm here too! I'm doing Lochaber and then Edinburgh, and hope I will manage both of them. Are you doing other races in the next few months?