Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Stalkerman,

I would say this to you if Edinburgh is your first then you've nothing to compare to it so don't be put off

To all marathon virgins I would tell you the story of a rather fat, unfit girl called Katypie who signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon having just completed her first 10K (yes, you read right)most of her pals thought it was dead funny she did it. Albeit not a wonderous time and not in style but dammit I would have crawled to the line if I had to. If little old me can do it, you can too. Hills schmills I say.

Woo Hoo thinking post race beers already.

Bottoms up!
  • Thanks for the advice guys, mentally I'm certain that I can do it. I always think of Lorraine Kelly and if she can do it then surely I must be able to.

The favourite quote I've had so far is that:

"The first 20 miles is only the journey to the front line, it's after that the battle begins."

BillyB - would you say this is accurate?

PS. Just bought a Garmin Forerunner 201 -what a fantastic piece of technology that is. Obviously if you're going to be training hard then you may as well have an excuse to buy gadgets.
  • lol I bought the foretrex this week too :O)

• "most of her pals thought it was dead funny she did it"

I'm still laughing.

For so many reasons...
  • I missed a 'but, she did it...' yes they did and you know fine that Kim P said she'd eat her hat
  • and anyway after all your greetin tonight I am surprised you're laughing. Ten press ups Mr A
  • stalkerman,
    yep must say that for a novice marathon runner,
    its like a 20 mile training run,then the last 6.2 miles?..well thats where the mental side comes in...by that time,a lot of runners have hit the wall,and are just running/walking on instinct...

i always tell newcomers that if they treat it as 4 x 10k training runs,they will find it a lot easier mentally.
    run 10k,then get it in your mind that you dont have another 20 miles to go,but only another 10k,.etc etc
  • it worked for me a few years ago in lochaber marathon...i stood on the start line with my left leg strapped up,could barley hobble never mind run,but i told myself it wasnt a marathon...only 10k...so then got past that...got to half-way...and what the hell..it was an ou and back course,so thought i'll try a bit more etc etc...finished in 4-09..
    god knows how but i limped around the whole course on one leg...so 2005 lochaber marathon..? well the pb should fall this time,provided i can run it on 2 good legs
  • Thanks for the advice billyb. Will work on the metnal side of things. Have managed 2 x 10Ks so far and felt I could do another 1 afterwards, however doing another 3 is something that I'll definitely be working on!!

Another great quote that helped get me out of my nice warm kip at 06:30 this morning into the fantastic -3 temperature was:

"If you want to WIN something, run 100 metres; if you want to ACHIEVE something, run a marathon" :-)
  • Psuedo - good luck on this one too. I've been too slow on the uptake. Was thinking what to do after Paris and Edinburgh came to mind but I see the entries are closed - don't think I'll do Paris in 3hrs to qualify for this automatically!!

It's been a while since I've been to Edinburgh but I seem to remember a couple of good nights at Grassmarket.

• I've heard that quote as well. Pretty inspiring I reckon.

I really like that idea billyb. Four 10K sessions and you're almost there. I've found it useful several times to break up a training session into sections (in my head at least).

On something else entirely, are you locals going to come up with a post-race pub for us outsiders to meet you? I'm travelling up on the Friday and staying with friends in Edinburgh.
  • This was the first marathon I'd ever run(last year) so I just HAD to enter again this year! (0:
  • Anyone recognise the background in my pic? !
  • The pub I'm most likely to be in afterwards is the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. It's a great place to drink, the staff help you up if you fall over, and it's open 24x7. Taxi's are quite cheap to get you there and they manage to get thru all the delightful Edinburgh congestion with those jazzy blue 'For Hire' lights.

We'll definitely get one organised nearer the time when we work out how many attendees there might be.

There's a pub on bread street (I think) called Tipplers, it holds about 14 people standing up, so that might do us, or at least the sub 3-hour party :-)
  • carpet - join a club? they have guaranteed places till March?
  • Thanks Duck Girl - didn't notice that.
  • Cheers carpet, but just had an invitation through for wedding in Seattle on 11 June so now may have to give run a miss. Typical! Anyone know the Edinburgh Marathon's policy on refunds? I'm not hopeful!
  • Usually nope :(
    Seattle sounds fun though.
  • Hello,

I need your advcie..

I took the cold after my long run on Saturday anmd spent all day Sun in bed, I haven't run since, do you chaps think it is safe to start again. I am down to minimal sniffing and feeling okay. Just hugely guilty for not running.
  • KATYPIE-
    i would always run with a sniffle or any head cold...its ok as long as its above the neck...when it goes down to your chest..forget the running..mind you thats just me...i wouldnt want you to get any worse...normally you can sweat it off..
  • katypie - you've got ages, jusdt curl up with a book & don't worry.
  • Lots of sniffles in this house too.

Prep isnt going too well for me, but I'm hoping when we hit 16 weeks to go, my motivation will kick in.

Hope you are all training well.

Donald.
  • Hello

Ran 4 miles yesterday having not run in a week and felt great and then today 8M and felt like the proverbial on a stick.. I didn't have any brekkie mind you so it could've been that? Just had no juice in my legs at all. Anyway, enough of my woes - new week new me.
  • Hi all,
    my past week was...mon-3miles,tuesday 18 miles,wed 3miles.thursday-15miles..frid-rest day,sat-3miles..sunday- 12 miles..
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Phew, big miles Billyb!!

I did 32 in total last week...
  • hi debbo,
    yeh,building up early...everything is gearing towards getting that pb...
    lighter trainers,lighter body,more mileage,more speedwork,luck on the day....
    roll on lochaber marathon...
  • Hail Hail

Hello All, esp Carpet and Pseudo (that's 3 of us bunking off from the Paris thread!!)

Did my first marathon in Oct 2004 in Dublin, ran 3.06 and have completely got the bug. This year I'm doing Paris, FLM (I know - I'm mad), and Edinburgh. I'm aiming to get a sub3 in Paris, have fun in FLM, then try for another sub in Edinburgh.

Anybody in the West End of Glasgow who is at the same sort of standard and fancies doing some long runs (15M+)?
  • RB - I won't tell anyone if you don't. I need to join a club to get into this one - pretty keen to get on board. Have been reading your training schedule with RESPECT. Amazed how you find the time to do it.

Based on the photo thought it would have been East end companions that were sought.

Know what you mean about the bug - I've got it too - just lacking the talent to go with it!

Did Melbourne nearly 12 yrs ago in 3.30 then NY in Nov 04 in 3.38. Hoping for a PB in Paris.
  • Hail Hail

Carpet - You've got to be in this one. If only for the pints of Deuchars afterwards!! Thanks for the compliments. It's hard work, but well worth it. I'm REALLY lucky 'cos the gym that I go to has organised childrens classes (gymnastics, tennis, basketball, etc) that are on an ad hoc, drop-in basis. This means that I can do about 9-10 miles 4 times a week (on the treadmill) without it impacting on family life. Mrs RB only gets mucked about twice a week at most since all these classes are late afternoon, early evening stuff. Oh, there is the bits when I bugger off to London for 36 hours leaving her with the 3 weans, but she IS always saying that she doesn't spend enough time with them!!!

Was thinking about Blackpool after this one, but have decided to give it a miss. Off to France the week after, and I've already got 1 race booked for 2 days after we arrive - a half-marathon. Should be a right old jolly!
  • RB - There is always Berlin in September. I struggle to run for 30mins on a treadmill let alone 9/10 miles - I get bored senseless despite TV, music etc. With 3 weans myself i know the feeling.