Sub 4.15

Comments

• fab time BG :-)

no LSD for me next week either. my friends little boy is being christened down in surrey so i'm off there instead.
  • Congrats on Stamford BG and M - must have given you both a lot of confidence
    Just looking for a bit of advice. Am away this weekend too so won't have time for too much running, so want to get my LSD in during the week. I did my 14miles on Saturday morning and then was planning to do 15/16miles on Thursday night. Am a bit conscious that the two runs are close together so want to make the interim few days as easy as possible, whilst still keeping my miles up.
    My planned schedule is as follows:
    Mon - 6m am done
    Tue - rest
    Weds - 4m am easy
    Thurs - 15/16m pm
    Fri - rest
    Sat - 7m slow
    Sun - 4m steady

Do you think that is reasonable? Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I could plan the week?

thanks!
  • Thanks Newbie - looks a good plan to me - I might be tempted to swap Tue & Wed round so that I had rest days either side of the long run but apart from that - looks good ! - sounds like you're on track
  • Well done M and BG - they're both great results for a 30k. You must feel quietly confident that all is going to plan.

I did 17M yesterday. Was supposed to be 15 but took a wrong turn and made it 17M, but it felt fine and has made me more confident too. Managed that in 2h45 which was very comfortable. Legs a little tight today though so I'm taking today as rest.

I've got a week off next week snowboarding, but figure that the running rest will do me good and I'll still be exercising every day. I'm hoping it won't affect my plan too much.

Anyone else taking a week off for anything and how are you planning around it?
  • BB - well done on yesterday - As you're already at the 17M stage then I don't think a week off will do any harm - I actually think the rest might be beneficial and as you say you will be exercising every day as well. Just make sure there are no nasty accidents whilst snowboarding !
  • Thanks BG. Yes, I'm hoping it may do me good. And I will be taking it very easy - the last thing I want is to get injured!
  • I wouldn't worry too much about planning round your snowboarding Bikingbird - sounds like you are ahead of schedule and the rest will do you good
    I had a very easy week a few weeks ago as was quite busy socially and away for the weekend.
    It actually was beneficial for me as when I got back from my weekend I had rested and got my energy back. I actually ran a lot better the following week
  • a mix of training for me this week. no running but lots of swimming, cycling and a couple of games of squash too.

looking forward to a serious hill session on saturday :-)
  • Hi all,

I've given myself an easy week too this week as it took 3 days for my legs to feel recovered again after my 17M which is a bit concerning. Did 8M on Wed very easy and 5M yesterday but am now going to rest until I get back from snowboarding. There are still 9 weeks left after I get back so figure it should be ok.

Have a good running week all of you.

Wanda
  • bikingbird - which marathon are you doing? have fun snowboarding (i'm very jealous!!!)
  • Hi Everyone,
    not posted for a couple of weeks. Just got back from 18 miler. Lovely and cold. Felt great and actually wishes it was April 17th as legs were fresh and I felt I could have gone the distance!! Took along some chocolate cubes and jelly babies as well as my lucozade sport. I'm sure that gave me the extra boost I needed. Now for a nice soak in the bath and a cup of tea. Always feels great to get the long run out the way early of a weekend!!
  • Hi all - seems most people on track - well done! Time whizzing by! Did 17 yesterday, feel fine - around 2:45 and its hilly round here so pretty pleased and feeling training is on track. Got a 20 mile race in 2 weeks which will be a really good pacing opportunity - don't know whether to start at 9:30 or 10 min miling! YIKES!
  • I had put on my form 4hr finish time. I am now thinking it was very optimistic for my first marathon. Just got a PB of 1:55 in my third 1/2M and that was running against the wind and with a few long or steep hills thrown in so am now thinking I will be on target for 4:15. I am doing the Thanet 20 in a couple of weeks and am hoping to get a good idea of what my finishing time will be then. I should really get it into my head that as long I cross the finish line I should be proud but I since I started running I seem to have developed a competitive streak and keep wanting to do better.
  • Thanet 20 is a really good race - I did it last year. I fully understand the wanting to do better thing - but make sure you enjoy the experience anyway! It would be a shame to end up disappointed if you miss the target by a few minutes. Based on that half you should be fine but on the day anything can happen!

I've been doing speedwork today for the first time in ages - 5 x 1km reps on the treadmill!

• Hello all
    Hope training going well for everyone. Had a bit of knee pain week before last so toned down training for a week (had a tracking problem which seems to be recurring). Managed 17m on saturday - was better than I thought, although the last 3 miles I ran out of gas (not enough to eat I before and during I think). Was pleased that managed it all in 9.30 - 10min miles though
    Am still a bit worried about my knee getting worse again. Was thinking i would just miss out the speed sessions as they seem to aggravate it. Does anyone have any views on this - how detrimental will this be? What should I do instead?
    Also have another challenge as am travelling a lot with work and will be doing 2 transatlantic flights and lots of dotting around Europe this week, which will probably impact training. Am still planning on doing the Reading half mara on sunday, having got back from the US on sat morning. Was planning on doing it at marathon pace with a long warm up and cool down, rather than trying faster as I think I will be a bit tired!
    What's everyone else up to?

• Hi All,

Sounds like everyone's doing great as most of us are up to 17/18Ms which is bang on track.

Just got back from my week snowboarding and no injuries to report. Will be doing my first run in 10 days tonight - hopefully a steady 12M so will see if I feel as refreshed and rested as I should.

Newbie - I'm no expert but I think cutting down on speed sessions is not a bad thing. To be honest, I've not really done any yet. I think it's more important to concentrate on the long one and time on your feet. You can do some of your mid-distance ones as temp rather than fast burst speed sessions instead maybe?

I'm also doing Reading half on Sunday. Kind of have a target of sub 1-50 which would be a PB, but we'll have to see.

Have a good week all
  • Ooops, I obviously meant 'tempo' rather than 'temp'. Must have left half my brain on the pistes....
  • Hello All - hope the training is going well. I can't believe we only have about 6 weeks left until the big day. Is anyone doing the Ashby 20 on 13th March ??
  • a weeks holiday has now done me the world of good (although i do appear to have put 2lbs on)

friskney 1/2 marathon tomorrow :-)

not doing ashby - got oakley 20 planned the week after
  • Hi All,

Just got back from doing Reading Half and am really pleased that I managed my first sub 1-50 and by some way (1.48.47 by my watch). Felt quite relaxed all the way round and reckon I could have finished faster too. Clearly all this training is paying off!

Newbie1 - did you do Reading?
  • Thats brilliant BB!
    I did 3:10:33 at 20 mile Glos today (my watch) - v pleased but keeping up the pace for those last 6.2 will be a challenge to say the least! thoroughly delighted tho' beautiful day and scenery and glad to have those miles "in the bag" !
    Happy training all
  • Well done Happy - that's a great time for 20. You've still got 6 weeks to improve further so that those last 6.2 will be fine!

I've got a 20m next week so will see how that one goes.

How's everyone else been getting on this week?
  • Did Reading 1/2 in 1.51.37 (45 secs slower than my PB set in last years race). Slightly disappointed not to get under 1-50 but had a dodgy tummy and had to ease off slightly after 9 miles. Also ran far too slowly in the first quarter, as I wasn't sure how I would cope - but after the first drinks station I felt okay and got in to race mode.

Got an easy 18 next Sunday and then the Cranleigh 21 the week after. I want to do Cranleigh at 9.5 min mile pace hopefully.
  • Great PB biking bird - sorry you weren't pleased with your time Mad Jonny
    Also did Reading and managed 1.55
    was really pleased with that given that had only got back from the US on saturday morning so was still quite jet lagged. Was also a big PB. had a really slow start as was right at the back, having got there late after waiting for 45mins for the buses, so then had to weave round people for pretty much the whole race. I reckon if I hadn't been feeling tired and had a better starting position I would have been a few mins faster - so something to aim for for next time!

This is the biggest race I have run and was amazed at how having crowds and people round you really helps. Am really pleased I did it as have plenty to learn before london

Am doing Finchley 20 next weekend - eeek!
  • Hi Everyone,

Have posted in other areas of this site but someone recommended this thread so here goes!

I have a half marathon time of 1hr 55mins and a long run (18 miles) of 2hrs 55mins completed yesterday. I find the pacing thing very difficult as I have followed a schedule where you had to define your running efforts as 1-4 with 4 being the fastest. Having got this far I am finding my efforts 1 and 2 far too slow and running mostly at effort 3-4 - Hope I don't burn out!

Also 90% of my runs have been on the treadmill set at 2%incline including yesterdays 18 miler, it's mental torture but the big day itself will be a doddle by comparison!
  • cheekychappie - are you using a Heartrate Monitor? I found I was running too slow at my steady pace. Since then I've left it at home a few times and found that my steady pace has increased. I still use the HRM but only for slow or fast runs - not steady pace.

However, I think it's still important to make sure you run slow on some occasions to avoid burnout. I measure slow runs by distance only and don't worry about the time it takes.
  • MJ,

No, I havaent used a HRM, I do have the chest strap for the treadmill but never get round to hooking it up! I will next time and see how I get on.

I'm running the "ideal world" schedule issued in the marathon magazine with the ballot results. I run 5 times per week with the usual variety, fartlek, intervals, hill etc with one long run. I measure the distance/time of the long run as the others are less meaningful ie 45 mins threshold or 30 mins interval etc. It's just that as I have gone along, I have realised that my efforts 1 and 2 are far to slow - I hadn't noticed this until I did a half marathon at my effort 4 level! I'm thinking that it's a bit late now to fiddle too much but in general I am upping the pace a bit.
  • cheeky - we're on the same schedule then!

My steady pace is about 9 min /mile and about 9.5 on a long run. For slow pace, I run about 45-90 secs per mile slower. Threshold (level 3)is about 8 min /mile pace and level 4 is proably about 7 min pace (but I only use this on short intervals).

I have modified the programme a bit in that I've extended one of the steady runs in the week so that it is about half the distance of my long Sunday run.
  • MJ,

Yeah looks like we are on the same schedule - think your running it a bit faster though!! lol

It's amazing how - given a few good runs - we change our aspirations for the FLM time!

If I remember at the begining I was looking for a sub 5hr - Yikes maybe this is still the case? Anyway, apart from the sore hamstrings today, I'm pretty confident of at least being able to put in my best effort, if that takes me round in sub 4.15 i'll be a happy, cheeky chappie! LOL

• cheeky chappie - now you have a recent time for a half marathon I think you could find a pace calculator on the basis of this. I think runners world have one on the training section of this site. You type in your recent half marathon time and it will automatically tell you something similar to what mad jonny is saying i.e. it will give you a long run pace, a threshold pace etc. The only slight problem with that could be if you didn't race the half so that you could have done it a little quicker. As mad jonny says level 4 is supposed to be pretty quick and not a pace that you can keep up for 13.1 miles!