Sub 4.15

Comments

• This is the most comprehensive pace calc I've used and has been mentioned on the forums quite a lot:

www.mcmillanrunning.com
  • Slowlegs,

Thanks - I did check out the pace indicators, I think it gave a predicted marathon time of 4hrs 1min - 4hrs 6mins. If my 18 miler yesterday is anything to go by it will be slower than that though, the last mile was a struggle - felt very light headed!

Looking forward to a night off tonight, feet up - woo hoo!
  • Bikingbird
    Thanks for that, I remember seeing this a while ago but had forgotten about it! My most recent race as a 10 miler in October which I ran on hardly any training - this gives me 4.20 to aim for, a 10 miler the year before which I did train for gives me 4.08 - which one do you think is the one to aim for as I was thinking of printing off a pace band with all the splits on?
  • Slowlegs - have you got any longer races coming up which could give you a better indicator than a 10miler? I would suggest the minimum distance for anything reasonably accurate would be a half marathon.

Saying that, my time from yesterday predicts me at 3h46 which I think is extremely overly-optimistic!!!
  • These race calculators are great but they do assume that long training runs are covered. The first FLM I did was 6 weeks after I ran a half in 1:52, I looked on the race calculator which told me something like 3:50. I ended up doing 4:22. Dont know if I got complacent or what but dont read to much into them just yet.

I ran Reading yesterday in 1:39, it tells me that I will run London in 3:30. Never going to happen, 3:50 - 4:00 more like it.

Not trying to be negative, but please dont fall into the same trap as I did.
  • Good morning all. How's everyone's training going?

I ran Finchley 20 yesterday and managed a very respectable 2h56, so all looks good at the moment.
  • Well done BB, I did a 20 yesterday as well at Ashby and managed 3.10....2.56 is excellent. Training is going OK and the race yesterday has given me confidence for "the big one" !
  • Well done BG. 3.10 is still well on-track for a sub-4.15 and still five weeks to go...

Completing 20 does definitely make you think you're getting there, and hopefully on the day, the extra 6m will just fly by (who am I kidding?!?)

Newbie1 - did you do Finchley? I quite enjoyed it though the mileage markers were definitely a bit out (miles 1 and 2 of each lap being longer and more boring than the latter 3 - did you think?)

Well done!

• Well done all.

I did 18.5 M in 3-12 yesterday - an easy pace for me, although I felt really tired for the last 4 miles. Got an extra rest day this week and then Cranleigh 21 on Sunday where I'm hoping to up the pace a bit to around the 4-15 target then.
  • Yes - did finchley 20m as well. managed 3.10 which was pretty pleased with. BG - if this doesn't make me sound like a stalker - what were you wearing as sounds like i should have seen you at the finish? I was the girl in blue 3/4 leggings and blue top.
    I found the 3rd lap the worst - somehow tricked myself into getting through it, by making sure I had something to look forward to (drink station/energy gel etc). BB - the first 2 miles of the circuit were definitely the worst - they felt so long!
    one thing, would like advice on - this is my longest run, so might just be am not used to it, but i absolutely seized up at the end. It felt like my back, hamstrings and glutes would just not move. in the end I stretched and it gradually got better, but I wondered what caused it. Do you think I could have been dehydrated?
    One thing that did strike me - i had got along under the impression that if I could manage 20m, I could definitely hang in there for another 6. given how tired and stiff I felt after 20m am not quite so certain now!
  • Sorry - meant to say - fantastic run bikingbird - you must be hoping for sub 4 now?
  • Hi Newbie - don't worry I don't think you're a stalker ! My 20 was at Ashby and I think yours was at Finchley ? so didn't see you. Well done on the time and good luck for the rest of the training. 20M is the furthest I've run so far and I think I'll try & get another in at that distance before the day.
  • Hi Newbie1. That's a great time, well done.

Yes, third lap was difficult, especially passing 13m which is normally the end of most of my races, being half marathons. Not sure why you felt so stiff but stretching asap after always helps out. My legs really started stiffening for the last 3m too, but now we've done that distance, it won't seem so bad next time.

And just think, you'd only have to do one more lap to have pretty much finished FLM! That's how I'm trying to see it, anyway.

Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to anyone at the finish, and changed and left as quick as possible as I had to walk back to the station. I was wearing a grey cap as well as blue 3/4 leggings and dark grey top.
  • BG - I was also going to try another 20 the week after next, but have been advised by quite an experienced runner not to do it and that next weekend's 16m race I'm doing (plus a bit of a warm-up/warm-down) should be the last big distance.

I feel like I'd prefer to do it again so my legs get used to it, though now I'm not sure. What do people think?
  • Was going to ask the same question bikingbird. I figured I had 2 more long runs (last one on easter weekend) so was planning on doing another 20m and an 18m, but wasn't sure in which order. maybe will do 18m next weekend and see how my legs feel. I definitely would like to do another 20m just to make myself feel a bit more confident
  • BB - Think I'm going to do 17 this week and 20 next just to give myself confidence as much as anything else. You've then still got 3 weeks to taper....I think the hardest thing will be tapering rather than trying to cram in last minute training. Just think, you'll have all that free time when previously you were out running !
  • Thanks BG. Yes, I've decided to do Kingston 16m slowly this weekend (as two races last two weeks is enough to judge pacing), then a very slow 20m on the 27th as my last long one.

Personally I'm looking forward to tapering - we're into the last hard 10 days of the schedule - yay!!!!
  • BB, I keep telling myself that as well....only 10 more days before it starts to reduce !
  • Am having a shocker. My lovely trainers which I was v happy with suddenly started giving me blisters after only having them a month. Went to get some new ones, and after ages in run and become came home with some new ones. Was advised to try them on the treadmill to see how they were and the day after, I ended up with shin splints and a sore knee. Was so bad that only managed half a mile of my planned 8 miles last night. Am going to take the new shoes back but am just a bit worried about when the shin splints will go away. Have only managed 6miles so far this week, and was planning to do a long run at the weekend....
    not sure what to do now!
  • newbie 1 - I have a lot of empathy - shin splints have seen me sidelined too - was supposed to do 7 miles yesterday and ended up doing 6, 1 of which was walked, due to the pain and soreness = agony! I'm due to do 20 on Sunday and hoping that I'll be okay - I've been following this pattern for the last couple of weeks i.e. just focussing on the long runs and letting the shorter midweek runs go so that the soreness has subsided enough - not sure whether this is a good practice or not?

do you have any hints on helping it heal? I'm taking Ibuprofen and trying to keep it elevated but that's it!
  • Sympathy to you both slowlegs and newbie1. I've never had shin splint so can't advise I'm afraid, but newbie1 - just keep going back to the shop again and again to get the shoes absolutely right - any good shop should allow you this. As long as you have two weeks to wear new shoes in you'll be fine.
  • Slowlegs - sorry to hear you are having the same trouble. I ice my legs using those ice cube bags wrapped round my legs and held in place with one of those stretchy bandages. I put it on whilst I am watching TV and leave it there for 15mins, or until it starts dripping because the ice has melted
    hope it works for you!
  • I shall start icing straight away! The sympathy has already made me feel better! Everybody at home is sick of me!
  • Finished Cranleigh 21 yesterday in 3-20, so looks like 4-15 is realistic. Might even get sub 4 hrs if I have a good day.

I was pleased because I ran at a consistent pace the whole way. My first 3 miles were fractionally slower, but I managed a 9 min mile at the end (over a hill also). I managed a negative split over half distance of about 1 minute, and if my life had depended on it then I probably could have run the last 5 miles at the same 9.5 min/mile pace.
  • Well done MJ. That's great and gives you loads of confidence for the big one.

I did Kingston 16M yesterday. Was aiming to do slow 9.5min miles the whole way, but couldn't help speed up in the last 5 miles (I just like overtaking people!). Finished in 2h25 so pleased with that.

How's everyone else doing....only 3 weeks 6 days to go?!!!!
  • Well done both - did a 17.2 training run on my own on Saturday in 2h38 so pleased with that and got 1 more long run planned for this weekend before the taper (and panic!) starts !
  • Great results from everyone this weekend! Ended up doing a 19m run on my own on sunday
    Was pleased that had not raced in the end (was going to do the oakley 20) as I have the same problem as you bikingbird - when i do a race, I can't help trying to pass people so then I end up going too fast. In the end I did very comfortable 9.5 - 10min miles and felt so much better than when I did the finchley 20 last weekend. So, it seems the training foes really work!
    Am looking forward to getting this week over with and getting into the taper - have one more long one - prob try for 20m again, although am in the lake district so am wondering how I will find a route which won't kill me with all the hills!
  • 10 mile race in Maidenhead on Good Friday (1 hr 21) followed by a dead slow 19 miles in 3-30 on Easter Sunday.

All went well except for miles 13-17 on Sunday. I took Lucozade sport with me and bought some more from a corner shop on the way round. I was sipping it every 5 mins until 13 miles when I started to get a bad stomach ache. I had drunk about 2.5 x 500ml bottles at the time. It slowed me right down, but went away for the last couple of miles. I couldn't drink much for the last hour of the run, but didn't seem to get dehydrated. I've drunk Lucozade Sport before without a problem, but never in such large amounts and I usually combine it with water and/or gels.

Anyway, at FLM I'm going to carry a couple of gels and go easy on the Lucozade Sport.
  • Well done, MJ. Your Sunday sounds similar to mine - I did a slow 20m in 3hr25. Miles 4-15 weren't fun as they were on a straight A road where I had to keep swapping sides to keep on the so-called footpath which just seemed to be ankle deep uneven muddy grass. Not fun.

That's my last long run now. The RW schedules say 18m next Sunday but I'm planning to taper back down to 10m. What are other people doing?

And how's everyone else's training? Good, I hope
  • BB - I'm doing 12 next Sunday and 8 the week after. The RW schedule seemed a bit too high in mileage and the one in the FLM magazine is a bit light, so I'm doing something in between the two for the next 2.5 weeks.

It did just over 40 miles last week, so plan to cut down to 30 this week, 20 next week and 10 miles in the week before the marathon. I'm keeping to 5 runs a week until the last week, when I will probably not run after Thursday, or do any run longer than 4 miles.