Ice Wine Marathon

I have just returned from running this incredible event in the Hills and Vineyards of the Black Forest. After 10 years and 480 marathons around the world, I know a great event when I’ve been in one. This is top 10 I can assure you. My German friend, Rudolf Malburg, Marathon des Sables and Marathon of Britain veteran time and time over has developed an unusual running strategy that was enjoyed by this years 50 or so competitors. His theory of Starting Together, Helping Together, Arriving Together is an incredible thing to be part of.

After I arrived in the City of Baden-Baden for an all-inclusive £13.99 each way on Ryan Air, I was warmly welcomed into the Dokan Sports Centre in Buhl for the Pre-race Pasta Party. The Local German food (of which I am not sure of the ingredients) was indeed plentiful as well as delicious. My evening sleepover in the Dokan Sports Centre was accompanied by the deep snoring sounds of German Beer induced sleep, consumed by some competitors controlling pre-race nerves. Boy can they snore!

Anyway at 5am we breakfasted with even more huge quantities of food before the coach trip to the start at Offenburg Railway Station. It was very very cold! My three thermal layers received frowns from the local runners but I was convinced that I had the right strategy for the 40 or so miles. Luckily for me it worked but next time I will take gloves and a thermal hat with ear coverings.

Not top 10 yet? Well here’s the bit where it started to become special. It was a slow in building but we all set off together. Right on time, with Rolf at the front leading and pacing the way. Behind him 48 Germans speaking non-stop and me floating near the back keeping up with whomever took time to speak to me. And they did all of them, they all tried to include me and all spoke great English. Every 10K there was a checkpoint for refreshments, kit change and other runners who could run one or more of the stages from the 63K event.

After a special 30K non-alcoholic mulled wine cocktail, I felt much better. Some more food and a ten-minute stop I rallied on chatting now with nearly all of the runners. As the event neared its end I had a great sense of satisfaction from the camaraderie of my new friends. As we approached the Christmas Market in Baden-Baden as a stampede of 50 or more runners, I did feel a tear as we approached the busy City Centre to receive our welcomes form the Mayor and Mayoress. It was a wonderful carnival to be part of.

The event has 12532ft of climb and descent along its beautiful route through the Ice Wine Regions of the Black Forest. Value for money is incredible at 35€ for entry and food and then the cheap flight from Stansted. Rolf has another event in October and I’m sure that I will be there to be part of his next venture. Oh the time, 9hrs 27 minutes, for the 40 miles. All finished together, everyone looked really fresh and all stopped for the post race party and celebrations.

If you wish to experience the next Ice Wine Marathon or October Fest Marathon, please contact me, and I will send you details and arrange for your trip. Although part of me is thinking that I might just keep the event to myself to enjoy the Magic of the Ice Wine Marathon once again.

I must say thanks to Rudolf and his family for making my weekend one to remember and also for making me an honourable German for the weekend.

Rory Coleman
Race Director
Marathon of Britain
rory@marathonofbritain.com

Comments